xisto Community
odomike

Overclocking My Processor N Motherboard Did some crazy overclocking here

ok, I know that I have quite a number of real crazy overclockings before. like clocking a 2.4GHz Pentium IV processor to rum at 3.6 GHz (Woooow). That is a kool 50% overclocking and guess what? Everything was still normalk even after the crazy overclocking....Can you believe that.I do respect the Intel Northbridge chipsets as they really allow you to do some very kool clocking to your processor, RAM and Northbridge. I have used a number of Pentium IV class processors and motherboards (6 pairs to be exact) within a quite a very short interval of time (within the past 1 year and half) and I have also tasted a number of Northbridge Chips ranging from Intel to SIS and VIA. Amongst all these, I think tha Intel Northbridge Chips are far more better than the others with VIA been the worse of all as ity doesnt allow any clockong whatsoever.Ok, enof of that jargon. I am currently using a Pentium 4 630 processor which was meant to run at 3.00GHz (Default at 800 FSB) with an 800 FSB ASROCK 775i65GV motherboard and 1 GB of Dual Channel DDR 400 (PC3200U). These 2 hardwares are meant to go at 800 FSB but I have done some clocking and got both of them to run at 1 GHz FSB by clocking the processor to 3.82GHz....Could you believe that? This I did by increasing the Processor's frequency in the CMOS setup. the processor's multiplier is locked at 15 so that can't be maneuvered. I have also done a lota analysis on the overclocked hardwares to determine their stability at their current speed. I started with using Everest Ultimate Engineer Edition to run a series of Benchmark (memory read, memory write, memory copy, memory latency, CPU Queen, CPU Photoworxx, CPU ZLib, FPU Julia, FPU mandel and FPU SinJulia benchmarks) on the hardwares and everything were fine after the benchmarking. I even ran a system stability test which will test the processor stability, FPU stability, cache and memory stability and local disk stability by stressing all these components to determine if they will fail in their overclocked state, but all the hardwares passed the stability test.Next came another round of benchmarking with Sisoftware Sandra XI. I am not gonna give a detailed review of the benchmarking results. I ran the Processor Arithmetic, Processor Multi-Media test, Processor power efficiency test, cache and memory test and memory latency test. After every benchmarck, I continuosly monitored the temperature of the processor and the MB as an overheating due to processor total utilization could cause a lota harm to the Processor and possibly the motherboard too. there was no overheating whatsoever sp everything is kool.Well, the rexult of the whole overclocking and benchmarking was a considerable increase in speed and ruggedity and an overall increase in Motherboard and Memory bandwidth. I can run more multi-threaded applications now and not think of the system slowing down in any way.Here is my advice to any overclocker....1. While overclocking your hadwares, always endeavour to keep an eye on the temperatures of your hardware components as this can cause a very serious harm to your hardwares.2. Try not to go to a very clocking speed in a go. Start from little overclocking and increase as you determine the stability of your hardwares with the overclocking.3. Always remember to run stability benchmarks as some peograms stress and utlilize the processor, memory and some hardwares more than th others.4. If you plan to game with the computer after overclocking, make sure to run a stability test on the hardwares to make sure that they don't faill in the heat of the game.Lastly, before you start overclocking your hardwares, make sure to read your hardware manufacturer's waranty (I guess most guys out there wouldn't bother to do this) as i dont think any manufacturer would advice any End User to overclock.If you are using AMD processors, please make sure to determine your processor's control temperature as AMD processors don't withstand too much temperature like their Intel counterparts.Thanks to all.

I'd like to point out that most newer motherboard have the BIOS option of automatically turning off your computer when temperatures reach a certain level, thus saving your cpu from any damage.

yea i know that most new motherboards come with that feature in that it shuts down on CPU over-temperature. I also know that it is not all of them cos I have seen a case whereby the CU heats up so much that it physically burnt the motherboard. The issue is not the auto shut down feature of the motherboard, but ensuring that both the CPU and motherboard doesnt overheat in the first place.That is one thing you should take gr8 care about while overclocking your CPU and motherboard.

yea i know that most new motherboards come with that feature in that it shuts down on CPU over-temperature. I also know that it is not all of them cos I have seen a case whereby the CU heats up so much that it physically burnt the motherboard. The issue is not the auto shut down feature of the motherboard, but ensuring that both the CPU and motherboard doesnt overheat in the first place.That is one thing you should take gr8 care about while overclocking your CPU and motherboard.