xisto Community
MSTR

The Best Anti-virus What Do you think ?

YAH I first 1000th post topic and I scored it WHOOT!!.Anyway, I have to disagree with you just a bit samlockart, Norton has pretty much the same thing all the other antivirus software have in there suites. I think they just pump more source code into the software so as to provide double security fron there software getting hacked and reversed engineered. Of course, odds are that they don't try and clean up their coding to slim it down some either and that really surprises me because of the fact the free ones are fast and do just as good. Norton is a resource hog, but people will pay the $70 for it anyway.

Yaaaay, post 1001 is mine :)Do we Linux freaks count? Lol...While I used Wintendo, I used AVG, since it's ligthweight, fast, detected any virus I received in email, and above all - it was free... yay... So I would recommend it for all Wintendo uses... Kaspersky,and other big commercial software are too much of a resource hog... And besides, I want to be able to install ONLY anti-virus software, no firewalls, no intelligent anti-run protection, and whatnot... AVG gave me that option... For firewalls, try and finr AtGuard, and old firewall, that works great... That it was great, proves the fact that Symantec bought it, and changed it to Norton Firewall...And as for now, well :D I use ClamAV to scan for incoming mail, and Linux builtin iptables firewall... I don;t quite need that ClamAV, but what the heck, it's cool to say I have anti-virus software on my machine... It's not running all the time, since I don't see the need for it... Win32 viruses can't do anything to me... yay again :D

The best anti-virus is ESET NOD32 then Kaspersky. NOD32 is the only anti-virus that got an Advanced+ rating in tests conducted at https://www.av-comparatives.org/

The most popular free anti-virus programs (AVG and Avast) have poor detection rates (82.82%, 87.46% respectively). Norton is notoriously bloated and takes forever to perform full systems scans.

I only recommend buying NOD32 (advanced users) or Kaspersky. It has been proven these products are better than the best sellers (Norton and McAfee)

Greetings.

I use zone alarm firewall...its pretty good ....its antivirus is not that good..its very slow etcand for antivirus nowadays I m using NOD32..hope it will be worth trying

Wow i user NOD32 Premium killerheres was it does1. block pop-ups2. update virus database everyday3. run virus scan on all downloaded files4. uses high tech features5. FAST SCANS6. Offer a affiliate program7. Made 8047$ so far8. NOD32 ROCKS UR SOCKS OFF

I had avast installed on my WinXP, but it failed hard.My fried has brought an external HDD with one(!) virus on it. It was detected, avast was supposed to successfully clean it off... but no. Even after it reported several infections, all on the HDD, the virus was not removed. So, I did a full-scan the HDD twice(!!!), and it said that all of them were removed. Then I scanned the PC as well, nothing was found.Reboot, and... I have the virus-infected system... explorer, IE, FF, QIP, plus other 230 infections in diff parts of the system.Now I do not use anything apart from Norton and ZoneAlarm, they provide just basic alerts that tell me if I am screwed or not))PS: Kaspersky has been known to crash systems. AFAIK, the ones made before 2006 were highly unstable.

I use Nod32 security suite and a router. Less memory load... I strongly recommend against Norton and those other massive programs. Nod32 and Kaspersky have great fast features, amazing definition update time, very small applications. The others just bog down your system. If you have Norton, uninstall it and try Nod32, if you dont like it switch back, this is just my 2 bobs worth.Sam.

AVG, Nod32, Kaspersky, and Avast are rubbish.

AVG slows your computer down, and is VERY laggy whilst playing games. Games like Grand Theft Auto: III, Vice City or, San Andreas.

Nod32 (never used) but by others calculations Nod32 is indeed very rubbish.

Kaspersky I have used this Anti-Virus program before, and it did not fit my personal liking.

Are there any other good Anti-Virus programs around?

Most antivirus sucks, just a kind of friendly virus.I have leaded with a lot of them but with one of them that i will not mention i had a particular story.I have had it for around half a year, i started to have problems with my pc and the antivirus could not find any suspectous file. So i decided to remove the antivirus and install another one.Well, there is where the story begins, first i removed this antivirus as normal people do, just follow the instructions from the vendor.When i was finishing to remove the antivirus it asks me to restart the pc in order to complete the unisntall. I just let this stupid uninstall program restart the pc, but when it was starting windows again i hangs and could not use the pc anymore.So now i think that vest antivirus are freezers and backups. I dont trust in them anymore but when i tjhink that a file is suspectous i just go to virustotal.com and ask the web to analyse the file.Well, that story didnt end as bad as you think, god just know why i am linux fan and used it to recover files from NTFS Windows partition and copy them to a DVD before formating that partition and reinstalls windows again without ANY antivirus, i just maintain a FAT partition unfreezed and the rest of the partitions freezed, so i download music and videos and documentes to FAT and just that.So now you can follow me with the art of freezing or just keep your headache with antivirus.Regards, Seba

I use Clam antivirus, its open source software and runs on both Windows and Linux.It has regular definition updates and client updates. It also doesn't seem too resource intensive.I haven't had a virus yet, so I guess its doing the job.I also recommend Symantec Antivirus Corporate edition, this is Ideal if you want a centrally managed Antivirus system that isn't resource intensive on the client PC's. You hardly even notice that its running at all.

There is an open source software that is as good as the paid services. It's continuously updated and it's very lightweight. The downside is it has no real-time scanning, but you can scan individual objects and an entire hard drive. It's extremely thorough (if you set it to be) and it's quite effective. I actually compared, and it found things that norton didn't. Also, infections won't avoid it because they don't know it exists.

Clamwin antivirus
http://www.clamwin.com/content/view/18/46/

It's quite good. Enjoy.