xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
arza1

Coin Rings this confuses me

alright, me and my buddy have been getting into making rings out of coins. what we do is hammer on the outside of the coin until the rim flatens to the width of a normal rind then drill out the middle and sand.i have heard that you can make a coin ring with hitting it with a spoon. but i originaly heard this in a story about soldiers doing it with there time off. the thing is i don't think they had a drill handy out on there while fighting.the point of this is i want to know from you, how you think they made a ring out of a coin by beating on it with a spoon without a drill(just a spoon.)i have search for the answer and can't find it.

well maybe using enough force would puncture the already flattened coin. although i don't know what would be the use of that really. we have a coin here in our country that already has a hole in it. it's a 5 centavo coin. we also have a coin that has two kind of metals. the ten peso coin has an outer ring that is silver in color and the inner ring has a gold color.

that idea is the only one that i could come up with that would work... making a hole by beating the flat pat of the coin untilit wears a hole in the metal.i don't know though. keep posting if you can i really want to know the old fashion way to do it. i know it has been done, my grrandpa did it when he was in the army to make a coin for my grandma. i just wish he was alive to tell me the technique.

but what's the main use for it? well if you do flatten it out, it would take a long time. and i doubt you could make it as thin as possible so you could punch a hole in the middle.

this guy..... http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ made his with a spoon but later ends up using a drill to make the hole. what i want to know are some ideas of how you think that they did this in the old days when a drill press or a power drill were not handy.

but what's the main use for it?

i don't understand what you mean.

i have been messing around with the spoon and coin ring thing. one thing that i have noticed is that if you were to make a ring by hitting the spoon on the face of the coin you would need enough room to put your fingers or something to hold it down. problem is if you use a larger coin for this purpose you ring would be way too big. now if you were to make a ring from a small coin using a spoon to create a weak spot in the metal you would not be able to hold it down. it would just bounce around.the only way that i can think of that soldiers would have been able to use is shooting a hole in the center of a ring. but this would have to be done with a not so powerful rifle. even if the GI were able to puncture the coin with a bullet in the dead center it would be hard to evenly flatten the edge into the shape of the ring with out warping the circle shape of the coin.

but like i was trying to get across, the uses of a coin ring are simple. it is a hobbie. i find it interesting that you can tke something worth very little and turn it into somethin that you would probably pay alot for at a store. well not the coin ring but some ring made of steel. it is also a test of patients. you have to hit this ring about million times while spininning it like a wheel. but you have to hit it in the same spot or it will ripple on the edges and will be useless for a ring.coins that will work but are not out of your reach:a copper 50cent peice is what i like using because when it is done it fits and it has width. now if you are making on for a female you can use a quarter with no problem. and if you don't mind spending a little bit of cash you can go to any coin shop and buy silver 50 and 25 cent peices. the 50cent ones are about 4.50 and the quarters are like 2.50.the steps:hit the coin with a small hammer or spoon lightly. you want to hit the rim of the coin while it is standing like a wheel. while you are hitting the coin rotate it so that you hit it evenly all the way around.once it has flattened to about the size you want all you have to do is drill out the middle and sand it down with a dremel or even sand paper will work.there s a link above in the last few posts that can be useful in making your ring.i think that these rings make excelent gifts if you want to buy someone jewelry and do not have enough money.

While I am not totally aware of how one would make them without a drill (that is, in fact, how I made the ones I've made in the past), they are one of the coolest ways to pass time. Obviously Mister Masta over here just doesn't understand. I get the feeling that he is feeling a bit brown today.

Edited by Cerb (see edit history)

While I am not totally aware of how one would make them without a drill (that is, in fact, how I made the ones I've made in the past), they are one of the coolest ways to pass time. Obviously Mister Masta over here just doesn't understand. I get the feeling that he is feeling a bit brown today.

i'm sorry if i'm not as intelligent as you :lol: but i'm hoping you would try to understand that not everyone has an idea what other people are talking about. and if you don't have anything else good to say, i suggest you just shut it. i posted there because i wanted to know its use. i don't see anything wrong with asking a question. some people are just so arrogant thinking that asking a question is stupid. obviously i don't know anything about coin rings and it's just natural that i would ask what it is and what is it used for.

and if you don't have any idea what happened earlier, i suggest you not to butt in. i don't post in this forum just to spam so i could earn credits. more than a year of staying in this forum has given me wisdom of how to post and the what's not of posting. so don't go telling everyone i'm "feeling a bit brown" today.
Edited by master_bacarra (see edit history)

i don't see anything wrong with asking a question. some people are just so arrogant thinking that asking a question is stupid.

It isn't that i think that asking questions is stupid it is just that your question was a stupid question. i am all up for questions. but if you do not have the brains to answer an obvious question of yours with awnser being in the rest of the forum i am going call you your question stupid. and to answer your question that i have answered already, the main point of making rings like any other type of jewelry is for craft or hobbie. to pass the time with something, as cerb said, one of the coolest ways to pass the time. maybe if i were into anime or whatever the cartoon crap is on you avatar, i wouldn't have to be involved in iteresting hobbies like coin rings. :lol:

i would apreciate if we get back to the topic on hand. which was. how does one make a coin ring with only a spoon or other small tools that would be carried on the common ww2 GI, or even ww1 GI. this of course rules out any power tools such as drill and other related tools.
Edited by arza1 (see edit history)

I have heard of GIs using their government issued jacknkife to carve out the center. Smoothing the inside, however, is a bit of a problem. I'm sure that sandpaper could be found if it was needed. Or, a whet stone that was small enough could possibly do the job.

It isn't that i think that asking questions is stupid it is just that your question was a stupid question.

no, i was clarifying your post. do i have to put it again so you could understand? i said i wanted to know what is its use, then you IGNORED the question, that's why i asked it again. you don't need to accuse me of spamming nor tell me that i'm asking a stupid question. most people in this forum would have responded properly on a question like that and not throw knives at people that reply to their topic. i find your attitude intolerable and to some extent totally annoying.

maybe if i were into anime or whatever the cartoon crap is on you avatar, i wouldn't have to be involved in iteresting hobbies like coin rings.

see? you're actually judging me from something that's probably not a true basis of what i am. do you know why i use the avatar? do you know it's significance? no. i don't think so. because it's very clear that you're easy to judge on people based on what their avatar is. just because i put up an anime picture as my avatar, it doesn't mean i'm obsessed by it and it's all what i care for in this world. Edited by master_bacarra (see edit history)

my great grandmother comes up from florida to indiana every once and a while and we went to visit her at her sisters house in bloomington, in. i remebered this topic and i asked her how my grandpa made rings in the army. she said that she is not sure about how he did it there but she did say how he made them for the kids when he was back home. i guess he acually hit the middle of a dime, out of all things, with a spoon until the dimes center was as thin as tinfoil. then he knocked a hole in it and beat on it until it was ring shaped. i still have doubts that this is possible. mabye be with a different tool. but a spoon would not be my tool of choice.