xisto Community
BooZker

Wikipedia + Myspace = ... An idea for an interesting site

Not a bad idea to be honest. I'd have to agree it has to be kept as simple as possible, but with less of the bugs that myspace has (eg the Music lagging up the load times of the blog space). At least it would seem pretty easy to edit if it was in a similar style to the wiki.

I really think we should have voting for almost everything from names to tag-lines. 'cause one person deciding stuff will definitely not be a good idea. I really like the idea of having a simple editing system and a blank-default-page thing and then yes, we can even have a simple template system for them to edit later for newbie HTML literate people. I agree with pretty much all the features there, but I guess we can ask them to give us the link of their video on YouTube? Like we have on orkut?I guess we should go with COPPA for under 13 children? But I guess keeping the minimum age 16 is quite good too, 'cause right now most 13 to 15 year olds are too lost in trends! You can put up the poll once we get a few more sugesstions into this thing and a new topic would be better according to me. And I don't think any of the features you've mentioned so far need to be removed or added more, more features according to me would just make it more heavy and messy I guess?And yes, starting it off in a few days won't be a problem for me at all... I live in India, and follow IST which is GMT +5.30, so well we can sort the timings out.And yes, I guess we should get paid hosting and what about the domain?

Edited by sylenzednuke (see edit history)

Would Xisto be enough? Just curious what your host would be. The only problem with Xisto, is if you go over (which it will in bandwidth if this goes big), there's not a way to really increase bandwidth. I know some good hosts. Since I don't want to 'spam', pm me if you need help finding one.As for me, I would say I'm really good with HTML and CSS. I'm not so good at creating templates and such though, I'm only good if I'm told what to create or making edits, since I'm not the 'creative' type.Will there also be an image, music, pic, etc upload tool? It would be cool, but not sure what it takes to make..and it would be a waste of bandwidth lol. Maybe it would be best if they just hotlink their content :lol: But if there was an upload tool, it should show you the code to implement it once submitted. Then, after submitted, you can click on a link 'Previous Uploads', that would show all content (clips on pause, and music files with Just the name, or maybe all with just names and extensions), and next to all of the content, include it's code. Or, just include all content that was uploaded, and when each item is clicked, it would go to that item's code. Hotlinking only would be much easier though.As for the idea of only allowing certsain people to see certain content, maybe there should be like a BBCode type thing, where the user would input [friends]Friends only content here[/friends].

Would Xisto be enough? Just curious what your host would be. The only problem with Xisto, is if you go over (which it will in bandwidth if this goes big), there's not a way to really increase bandwidth. I know some good hosts. Since I don't want to 'spam', pm me if you need help finding one.
As for me, I would say I'm really good with HTML and CSS. I'm not so good at creating templates and such though, I'm only good if I'm told what to create or making edits, since I'm not the 'creative' type.

Will there also be an image, music, pic, etc upload tool? It would be cool, but not sure what it takes to make..and it would be a waste of bandwidth lol. Maybe it would be best if they just hotlink their content :lol: But if there was an upload tool, it should show you the code to implement it once submitted. Then, after submitted, you can click on a link 'Previous Uploads', that would show all content (clips on pause, and music files with Just the name, or maybe all with just names and extensions), and next to all of the content, include it's code. Or, just include all content that was uploaded, and when each item is clicked, it would go to that item's code. Hotlinking only would be much easier though.

As for the idea of only allowing certsain people to see certain content, maybe there should be like a BBCode type thing, where the user would input [friends]Friends only content here[/friends].

No, maybe we could get into Xisto - Web Hosting? 'cause I don't want to go out of Xisto. :P

I guess image uploader would do, they can just link their YouTube videos and then the music, a RSS link to their Last.FM account? That would go well according to me, we can get their full music statistics then! :D

And I didn't quite understand the BBCode thing, could you please ellaborate? Why would we want to limit certain data? Are you speaking of making certain parts of the page available for public/friends network editing?

http://www.wikia.com/fandom

One of the Wikia wikis I remember seeing is one dedicated completely to creating profiles of Wiki users. I don't know what it's called or it's URL. I know you'll be able to find it, though. I personally find the idea sort of dumb because all users on wikis get userpages, and in Wikipedia and Uncyclopedia you can stick pretty much whatever you would like in your userpage, though there are some limits, and those limits pretty much equate to what MySpace or any other Social Networking site would probably think is the limit in their TOS.

Edit: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ <- There's the exact site.

Edited by Tetraca (see edit history)

http://www.wikia.com/fandom

One of the Wikia wikis I remember seeing is one dedicated completely to creating profiles of Wiki users. I don't know what it's called or it's URL. I know you'll be able to find it, though. I personally find the idea sort of dumb because all users on wikis get userpages, and in Wikipedia and Uncyclopedia you can stick pretty much whatever you would like in your userpage, though there are some limits, and those limits pretty much equate to what MySpace or any other Social Networking site would probably think is the limit in their TOS.

Edit: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ <- There's the exact site.

I guess we'll have to drop the idea of a Wiki then. :P

But we are looking over the features ourselves so I don't think a Wiki would be of any use whatsoever. Maybe it was only to make the site popular? I mean who wouldn't like to experience another Wiki?

I mean friends, uploads, custom pages editable by SIMPLE EDITOR or CSS ... and even some more when we develop this idea even more. So we don't really need Wiki to do all this, infact the Wiki system isn't that easy to grab as HTML or CSS or PHP is, I find it pretty confusing myself! And this definitely won't be a profile where we type what we are and what are our hobbies, but like those celebrities have Wiki's [highschool year, some incident that changed their life and then how they went on to something different and stuff relevant to that], this is I think what our members should be motivated to write, otherwise it's not even a autobiography, but a simple self-praising MySpace-like profile! Now we don't want to be just another social networking site, do we? We already have Facebook, orkut, MySpace, hi5 and so many more which keep on coming in and in over and over again! And Wikia to me looks like just another social networking site and the Wiki-thing makes it look more not-good-for-the-eyes. :D Same with Mindsay.com, just too many features and a bloated layout!

I guess our site will have a difference ... what difference is yet to be thought upon. :lol:

I guess we'll have to drop the idea of a Wiki then. :D
But we are looking over the features ourselves so I don't think a Wiki would be of any use whatsoever. Maybe it was only to make the site popular? I mean who wouldn't like to experience another Wiki?

I mean friends

Easily editable into a list on your page.

uploads

http://social.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Upload

custom pages editable by SIMPLE EDITOR or CSS

Wikimarkup will work pretty well, and I don't think users really deserve CSS on a social networking site. If you've ever looked at any MySpace, you'll see how much it's abused - to the point where the profile is terribly ugly, unreadable, and choking CPU times.

infact the Wiki system isn't that easy to grab as HTML or CSS or PHP is

So:

"''Doctor''? No other title? A ''scholar''? And he rates above the civil authority?"
"Why, certainly," replied Hardin, amiably. "We're all scholars more or less. After all, we're not so much a world as a scientific foundation — under the direct control of the Emperor."

is much harder to type than:

<p>"<i>Doctor</i>? No other title? A <i>scholar</i>? And he rates above the civil authority?"
</p>

<p>
"Why, certainly," replied Hardin, amiably. "We're all scholars more or less. After all, we're not so much a world as a scientific foundation — under the direct control of the Emperor."
</p>

I certainly like using Wikimarkup whenever I can over HTML! Don't even try to give your users the ability to customize with PHP! That can be abused rather easily to deface and shut down your website. If you don't like wikimarkup you can use HTML and CSS within the "style" attribute on your page.

And Wikia to me looks like just another social networking site and the Wiki-thing makes it look more not-good-for-the-eyes. :lol: Same with Mindsay.com, just too many features and a bloated layout!

It's actually not a social networking site, or rather that's not it's intent initially. It's just a host for a bunch of wikis with a login system integrated for every wiki so that everyone can contribute. The goal is to share knowlege rather than petty vanity like a social networking site on most of the pages(with the exception of that one wiki and the User page on each wiki).
What it seems to me like you want is a loose community based website based on Drupal, which will have the features you want with the restrictions you need.

I like the idea but I would be afraid to put all of that stuff in a database :\... Not that I'm affraid of stalkers or anything it's just like jesus christ would I get a ton of personalized spam in my inbox. I'd prefer not.

And I didn't quite understand the BBCode thing, could you please ellaborate? Why would we want to limit certain data? Are you speaking of making certain parts of the page available for public/friends network editing?

It would only allow friends/family view certain parts of the page, but that might mess up the idea, as people may be adding content already added, that they just can't view lol. Forget the idea :lol:

Wikimarkup will work pretty well, and I don't think users really deserve CSS on a social networking site. If you've ever looked at any MySpace, you'll see how much it's abused - to the point where the profile is terribly ugly, unreadable, and choking CPU times.

It's actually not a social networking site, or rather that's not it's intent initially. It's just a host for a bunch of wikis with a login system integrated for every wiki so that everyone can contribute. The goal is to share knowlege rather than petty vanity like a social networking site on most of the pages(with the exception of that one wiki and the User page on each wiki).

What it seems to me like you want is a loose community based website based on Drupal, which will have the features you want with the restrictions you need.

As per those ugly layouts, we were thinking of having a blank web-page, or a templates system that can be edited quite a bit with CSS and HTML. Like it can be on hi5! And the thing of letting them do stuff with PHP was never the topic at all. No one wanted the users to have PHP on their pages, they might as well get themselves a web-site if that's the case. And even if we give them access to just HTML, some people are capable enough to make their profiles look ugly with that too!

But here, look at it as a BIG essay, and not a profile where people will have glitter-graphics with text "I am Cool!" or whatever ... it won't even be a blog where you put your everyday happenings, just basic things about your life, how you've gone through it, the most memorable times and stuff like that. While thinking of this, remove the entire "social networking" thing from the topic and add only one word "autobiography", maybe the image will be clearer then. The only thing which will make it quite much of a social networking site will be the ability to make friends over the site and then maybe let them edit certain parts of the autobiography or their page. And the image and video hot-linking are just to link memorable videos and certain pics to aid the autobiography. I personally don't want it to become another MySpace.

And as I see it, you definitely aren't looking at it as I am. :lol: I am waiting for BooZker's call about everything and the voting. It's his idea so it's upto him what he wants to make this site into. I have sadly never seen good-looking Wiki pages except for Unclyclopedia, Wikipedia and some other Wikis related to web-based things like forum softwares.

I like the idea but I would be afraid to put all of that stuff in a database :\... Not that I'm affraid of stalkers or anything it's just like jesus christ would I get a ton of personalized spam in my inbox. I'd prefer not.

You really don't need to put all info onto that page, it's not like your blog where you mention stuff about everyday life. Only the basic outline and no one's asking you to display your e-mail address there but it isn't even that hard to grab someone's nowadays. I for one wouldn't really mind using this service.

It's has been awhile since I last posted an idea and winning the Trap 17 Mad Scientist award I feel I must post! Anyways here is an idea and I'll post the good and the bad about it.
I'm not sure what it would be called and wiki is used WAY to much, but for now we will call it WikiBio. WikiBio is a site to post your bio and update it. I am not talking about a quick bio like on Friendster and Myspace. A full blown out bio. You write about youself all the way everything you know even your social security number, ok the social part was a joke, but seriously, it's just a place to post a bio on yourself. It's a wiki site for the reason that your friends can add things about you. Past experiences you might have forgot about. Only friends can do this like comments almost in myspace. The layout wouldn't look as nasty as myspace does and sort of like wikipedia, but I want people to go there and know its WikiBio not Wikipedia. Like i said before, i dont want Wiki in the name!

So what are benefits of this site? Why would you put personal info down? Think about the future and history. We all wont become famous and we all wont do something that will make the news That's why there would be WikiBio. If your detailed enough you could have a nice bio page and pictures. Friends post things about you so you never forget them. Now think, if it lasted, 100 yeas from now. What was great grandpa/grandma like? Or how about a simple historian looking up statisics like, how many people in Washington state were Christian etc. The search you could look up "Fireman in washington" and maybe find a co-worker you had and learn about them later on. Maybe a friend who moved away and found them on there and see how they are doing. There would be a messaging section, but that's not what it's for. You simply read. I know personaly I would find it interesting to look at people bios and read about them in depth. No matter how small we all have interesting lives in some way. Obviously you wouldnt put anything incriminating down and I bet no politicians would put stuff down.

So what do you guys think about this? What name? What would it look like? Would anyone want to help me make it? Would you ever use it?

That would be one of the best sites ever! I would definatly use it!
Edited by jlhaslip
fixed bbcode (see edit history)

And as I see it, you definitely aren't looking at it as I am. :) I am waiting for BooZker's call about everything and the voting. It's his idea so it's upto him what he wants to make this site into. I have sadly never seen good-looking Wiki pages except for Unclyclopedia, Wikipedia and some other Wikis related to web-based things like forum softwares.

You really don't need to put all info onto that page, it's not like your blog where you mention stuff about everyday life. Only the basic outline and no one's asking you to display your e-mail address there but it isn't even that hard to grab someone's nowadays. I for one wouldn't really mind using this service.

Hmm I guess you've got a point there. It sounds pretty kewl, and if it gets made I'd love to try it out, and if you need any more php programmers count me in!

I'm sorry. I'll try to read as much as i can, but my father died on Sunday night and found him on Monday on my floor. I'll post a topic about this, but i have his funeral to go to and i have been very busy. I NEED this site now. I NEED to write a bio for him. He was such a great father. The worst part... he was 100% healthy no one expected it and one day, at 43, his heart exploded from its elargment.Thanks ill get to this ASAP. Please dont let this topic die. I want this site i just am busy! Thanks!

Hmm I guess you've got a point there. It sounds pretty kewl, and if it gets made I'd love to try it out, and if you need any more php programmers count me in!

Yeah, some of us are taking this site in the wrong view, we don't want MySpace, we don't want a Wikipedia, this is something inspired by them but not necessarily be like one of them. I personally have a few plans for this site, I might mention them here later or discuss with BooZ if he likes them. Cool, if we'd need help we got one more person to help! :)

I'm sorry. I'll try to read as much as i can, but my father died on Sunday night and found him on Monday on my floor. I'll post a topic about this, but i have his funeral to go to and i have been very busy. I NEED this site now. I NEED to write a bio for him. He was such a great father. The worst part... he was 100% healthy no one expected it and one day, at 43, his heart exploded from its elargment.
Thanks ill get to this ASAP. Please dont let this topic die. I want this site i just am busy! Thanks!

Well, take your time. This topic was going nowhere near dying, we were pretty much discussing over this quite well. :)

And this is one idea I really liked and I would surely want to be a part of this. I will give as much help as I can for this site to become a reality.

OK ill write back to some of the Qs. I have about 13 things i wanted to reply to. Sorry for the delay. Ok now back to business. Maybe we can get this going no later then a week?

but you still need a way to let people easily make the page look presentable. An idea would be to allow people to post their snippets of text or whatever and provide a settings page somewhere to configure text colours, backgrounds and things like that. A really simple JavaScript colour picker or something similar would also work quite well.

I was thinking something like on Blogger or even on Trap 17 when your posting something. What your talking about is just about what i had in mind. Does anyone have any ideas on how to write it? Ill make any icons although most of the icons are fairly normal and used all over.

In the US you need to comply with COPPA if you allow access to children under the age of 13.

Then that is what we will do. I will get a copy of it for the sign up process. Anyone under should have to do the process of written permission that is emailed or faxed or something.

Anyway, I'm willing to help out with any PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS or design stuff if you need it.

OK rvalkass. How about could you write a script for posting things? Get as much as you can and then when you get to a point where you just add the info like URLs and links and tell me and possibly get an example up?

I really think we should have voting for almost everything from names to tag-lines. 'cause one person deciding stuff will definitely not be a good idea.

OK. I have an idea and if someone can write it i can place it on my site and add to it, but we need a poll. So we could have just ONE webpage that you go through and vote and then at the end of the week whatever has the most votes, or whatever hits a certain amount of votes before the week is up, will be what happens. Make it with cookies just to make it more of a hassle to vote more then once and i dont want anyone voting more then once, but i dont want people to sign up and everything.

And yes, I guess we should get paid hosting and what about the domain?

I think we should get it after a few months of having it up. I think we should get a domain name asap though. we should have a poll created to vote on a domain name SOON.. We can get paid hosting later when we need it.

Will there also be an image, music, pic, etc upload tool? It would be cool, but not sure what it takes to make..and it would be a waste of bandwidth lol. Maybe it would be best if they just hotlink their content But if there was an upload tool, it should show you the code to implement it once submitted. Then, after submitted, you can click on a link 'Previous Uploads', that would show all content (clips on pause, and music files with Just the name, or maybe all with just names and extensions), and next to all of the content, include it's code.

I like the code previous uploads idea a lot. I would want that implemented. As for music, i dont think we need music, but after i thought about it for awhile, we should have it so people can TALK or SPEAK what they wrote for blind or hard of seeing. I wouldnt want music unless it is their created music. This would have people uploading music that isn't theirs but we should have a HARSH email then if they are caught again delete their bio as well as their IP. It would be good for muscians though because their bio would have mostly music stuff.

As for the idea of only allowing certsain people to see certain content, maybe there should be like a BBCode type thing, where the user would input [friends]Friends only content here[/friends]

thats not a bad idea for a quick fix. I was thinking though you could just push a button on the editor or the actual bio page (if its your bio and your logged in) and it will lock it from non family members or friends.

I personally find the idea sort of dumb because all users on wikis get userpages, and in Wikipedia and Uncyclopedia you can stick pretty much whatever you would like in your userpage, though there are some limits, and those limits pretty much equate to what MySpace or any other Social Networking site would probably think is the limit in their TOS

This ISNT a social network and this ISNT wikipedia. Once again i will repeat. This is a BIO. On your user page its a PAGE. This will be a book. I would even like it to be able to be downloaded to a PDF with a push of a button so you could download it and print it out and read. It will have pages and a cover and everything.

I really dont think we should use Wiki anymore. Let's not even talk about it anymore. We will make out own site all hand coded. This will get rid of a lot of hassle. No editing but just make things the way we want right off that bat.

It doesn't matter. It's their bio. No one will read their bio then. Most of all, im totally not worried about this because why would they? People will be to busy getting the last 30 years of their life typed up.

Don't even try to give your users the ability to customize with PHP!

Others have mentioned this already, but just to make it clear, NO we will not give them PHP. Probably just HTML and CSS.

It would only allow friends/family view certain parts of the page, but that might mess up the idea, as people may be adding content already added, that they just can't view lol. Forget the idea.

Not at all. This is a bio site and you should have as much freedom to YOUR info as you want. As long as you dont use it to host your stuff and then not write anything then your free to go. even if you were to make every last word hidden to the public, but you actually write stuff go ahead. We would still want you there!

But here, look at it as a BIG essay, and not a profile where people will have glitter-graphics with text "I am Cool!" or whatever ... it won't even be a blog where you put your everyday happenings, just basic things about your life, how you've gone through it, the most memorable times and stuff like that. While thinking of this, remove the entire "social networking" thing from the topic and add only one word "autobiography", maybe the image will be clearer then.

This is EXACTLY right. I would like this PMed to people who ever bring up social networking or stuff like that. This is a autobiography period. It is a multipaged bio site in which you will be able to upload your voice, music, photos, and more. (videos,no too big in size maybe later with another host).

Ok so first thing is first..

WE NEED A NAME. In your next replied please post:

A VOTE FOR A NAME. Doesnt have to be one someone or we already talked about just anything that you think would go good then ill make a logo for it as well as others and collab on it.

IF YOU WILLING TO HELP. If not just dont say anything about this, but anything, HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, anything please say something and ill put you on a list for Admins and Mods to the people who will start up the database.

I ran out of quote blocks so i used code boxes.