xisto Community
k_lo_91

Summer Reading

For my school, i need to read:The Color of Water by James McBrideandThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgeralddoes anyone know if these books are any good? Does any have any summeries they would like to share? lol

I read the Great Gatsby last year, my junior year. It was horrible. The most boring book ever in my opinion. Not sure about the other, have fun with the Gatsby.

You know, I don't even think I've actually read the Great Gatsby so I can't actually offer an opinion on the plot, however I can tell you that reading it twice (it's kinda hard to keep in your memory if I recall) will be valuable if you ever get on Jeopardy... It's like the Harvard Classics. There are many volumes (heck the Gatsby might be one of them!) and if you read and comprehend to the level of actually being able to write a good essay on each one, it's said you've attained the level of a Bachelor of Arts from Harvard. Now, go forward and read lads. Read well, and comprehend well. Enjoy your summer!

Ha, well, I've got AP English Composition this year, so I had to read The Autobiography of Malcolm X, The Things They Carried, The Narrative of the Life of Fredrick Douglass, and the Joy Luck Club. With the excception of The Things They Carried, these books were so obnoxiously slow. Then I had to go backl and analyze all of them. It was definitley not fun at all.

Sparknotes are good for summaries. You can read basic summaries for free online, or buy PDF files for a few bucks per piece of literature. I caution everybody, however, to actually read the work for themselves. You cannot be 100 percent certain that the person who writes the summary gets everything right.Besides: you get more out of it if you actually read and analyze the literature for yourself. Oh, I'm not saying that I've NEVER used Sparknotes or Cliff's Notes before. I have. Sometimes a book is just so boring, so lame, that I can't quite make myself read the entire thing on my own in time for the deadline.But at least try to do it yourself first. You just might find that what appeared to be a cruddy book is actually a pretty good read. :P