xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rosaline

Religion And Science Is Science Making God A Thing Of The Past?

Although science continues to advance to explain otherwise religiously explained ideas, I believe that religion will always exist in our world. What do you think? Here's MY thoughts. I'd love to hear yours :lol:Science has given explanations that, before, were only offered up in texts such as the Bible were the only explanations. For example, the issue of how life came to be. Before, cultures from around the world would attribute this phenomenon of life to some fable or myth revolving around a divine power. In Christianity, it is the story about how God created the world in seven days. Now, modern science has offered up the explanation of the Big Bang Theory and Evolution to explain this phenomenon. Because of this, it seems like religions purpose?to explain the unexplainable?is no longer necessary. Science has answered a lot of questions that make religious explanations less reliable.However, science still has left many things unanswered. For example, even if you do believe in the Big Bang Theory, it still doesn?t answer everything. What started the Big Bang? And what created whatever started the Big Bang? Science and research cannot answer these questions, because logically, there would never be an end. Something had to create the something that created something. Religion, however, explains the unexplainable because it suggests another plane of existence and a higher power who can perform things that seem impossible to us as humans. Because science cannot offer up explanations to every earthly question, religion will always be a solution to such inquiries.Also, to those who truly believe in their religion, no matter how much science advances, they will always believe in their God. This is especially true in cultures and tribes that don?t focus on science or technology; they still have no scientific answer and will always turn to a higher power. Also, for me as a Christian, I truly believe that God exists because I feel like I have felt His presence in my life. That, for me, is more real than any logical or scientific explanation, so He will always be a part of my life. I think people like me will continue to pass on their beliefs to their children, and although some generations down the line God may not play as big of a role in our society, there will always be someone who believes and who promotes that belief. After all, close-minded people are never going to change their beliefs. So, because there will always be people who feel God, there will always be people who believe in Him.I also think that religion will always have a place in society because it fills an empty void that reason and logic cannot. Everyone searches for a purpose, and a lot of people have found that purpose through believing in a higher power. Also, the belief in a God offers up an explanation as to what happens after death. The fear of dying is a huge fear in our society, one that only religion can help lessen through it?s philosophies of an after life. Because it offers such a comforting outlook, the necessity of God in our society will always be there. Also, God provides a set of moral code and proper behavior and the punishment/reward to encourage the following of these rules. Even though moral behavior still exists in the lives of people who do not believe in God, His presence in our world definitely causes people to follow it. Without that, I think the motivation to be good would not be as great. The necessity of God in our society, again, outweighs any chance that he will ever fade completely.So, although science, logic, and reason may seem to be destroying God, there is always the chance that it only goes to prove his necessity all the more, therefore, God is definitely not going to be merely a thing of the past. What do you think?

Science, logic and reason are for God. In your post you claim to be a believer. Many scientific facts have been mentioned in the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) (hundreds and hundreds of years) before Scientists ever discovered them. Here's a topic that mentions some, but not all of the scientific facts found in the Bible: link. Here's the logic behind it: Only the one true God can give accurate facts about the universe and the things within it. This form of reasoning is easy enough to have people believe that there is a God, but for some reason, people choose not to. If you believe in Science, you must therefore also believe in the Bible, for the facts do not lie. This also proves that Science and religion (Abrahamic) cannot be enemies. If there are any differences, it is due to human error: either failing to properly understand how things work or the way it is explained (interpreted) in the Abrahamic Religions.

the bigest reason that it's hard for science and religon to be friend is because people tend to think of science the wrong way. many people think thats its all chemicals and technology and other stuff, they dont realise that saying that saying i think this food is better than this from tasting them or drugs are bad because they kill. all science is, is reason. in the bible beileive it or not wen addam and eve ate the apple from the tree of knowledge this was the birth of science. at first they where ignorant not knowing right and wrong. after they ate the apple and was banned from the garden they had to fight for themselve, and cropt form themselves. they had to build tools and make desisions every day of their life. thuse giving birth to science.when it comes to the creation of the world in my opinion science's explanation makes no sence because when you ask how did the big bang start? particles in the astmosohere reacted, why did they react? the conditions where right. how did the condition get right? well it think it was accidental. accidental , i was an accident, could of sworn my parrents planned me. nothing is accidental.and second, if you pay attention the english, french or whatever languge bible.they where tranlated from hebrew. people are not god and they make mistakes. with out a dout i've experienced this first hand people translate the bible differently, giving some text diferent meaning and getting into arguments about it. like truefusion said the bigest reason why they will be a diference is due to human errors.

In Christianity, it is the story about how God created the world in seven days. Now, modern science has offered up the explanation of the Big Bang Theory and Evolution to explain this phenomenon. Because of this, it seems like religions purposeto explain the unexplainableis no longer necessary. Science has answered a lot of questions that make religious explanations less reliable.
However, science still has left many things unanswered. For example, even if you do believe in the Big Bang Theory, it still doesnt answer everything. What started the Big Bang? And what created whatever started the Big Bang? Science and research cannot answer these questions, because logically, there would never be an end. Something had to create the something that created something. Religion, however, explains the unexplainable because it suggests another plane of existence and a higher power who can perform things that seem impossible to us as humans. Because science cannot offer up explanations to every earthly question, religion will always be a solution to such inquiries.

Of course, for thinking persons, one must ask, "who created god?" Or did god just evolve? It's easier to understand how chaotic energies came to exist through a big bang than to accept as rational the presumption that a perfect being merely 'fell together' in the abyss.
Generally, however, I agree with you. Humanity has religions because people need them. Eventually, humanity will outgrow them.

I think that the right question here would be...Science AND God - not put them in the beginning as something that is impossible to live together. It seems that there are always two "camps" in this debate and the fence sitters are forced to take a "side." Cab yiz really believe in science if you believe in God, and vice-versa?

Please understand I am not any kind of authority on theology or philosophy; physics or biology. I am reasonably educated but don't claim to have any great insights or original ideas here. I'm just another person who has a hard time rejecting things that make sense to me intellectually and imperically; yet I feel there is an important spiritual aspect to being alive and human that science just can't address.

Here are a couple of examples:

Evolution. It makes sense to me that living things will adapt and change over time with their changing environments. There is fossil evidence to support this. Why is this idea rejected by so many Christain groups? Is it not possible that God created plants and animals with the capacity to change and or *gasp* evolve over time? It doesn't mean His initial work was "imperfect", in fact, I think the fact that living things CAN change makes His work even MORE amazing, dynamic and perfect!

The Big Bang/beginning of the universe and earth. In Genesis (if my understanding is correct), things pretty much appear in the same order that science says they do. First there was "nothing", then there was light and matter, earth and water, then fishes, plants, animals and people. It seems the only thing we disagree on is how we got "something" from "nothing." Is it not possible that God was the one who "made" the big bang happen? THAT seems easier to believe than the current scientific explanation.

I just think Christians could gain a lot more credibility by being more open minded to scientific evidence. How long did it take the Church to acknowledge that the world was indeed round and revolved around the sun?

Again, I obviously don't have this all figured out (ha!)...I welcome any comments or insights YOU may have. I'm sure there's a lot I haven't thought about,

but the important things here is that we should not step on one side or the other, we should all together seek the truth in life, because arguing with arguments is becoming extremely boring!

Mikey hit the big point who created God? Religion says God has always existed, and if so then their has to be an alternate universe or dimension or maybe God came into existence seconds after the Big Bang. Of course, the real big question is how did the big bang start since there was nothing in this universe, There are so many unknowns in this universe that I don't think they will ever be answered, and if the scientist are right we got about 5 billion years to figure it out. As there will be one of two cosmic events that will happen, the sun exploding or the Andromeda-Milky Way collision; however, who is to say that a very large asteroid or comet will crash into the planet. These collisions have happen and most of us know what happen to Jupiter when a comet it at full force.Of course, I have odds that humans will destroy this world before any of those things will happen as we are a destructive species with no remorse or compassion for anything else. That is a major reason why science ad religion can't get along as there are too many opinions and arguments about who is right and who is wrong.