xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
particle

Need Help Installing The Newest Release Of Wordpress.

Hi,

I'm trying to install Wordpress 2.2 which is the newest release and I'm getting issues.

The wordpress 2.2 zip file came with a readme that had these instructions:

Installation: Famous 5-minute install:

1. Unzip the package in an empty directory.

2. Open up wp-config-sample.php with a text editor like WordPad or similar and fill in your database connection details.

3. Save the file as wp-config.php

4. Upload everything.

5. Open /wp-admin/install.php in your browser. This should setup the tables needed for your blog. If there is an error, double check your wp-config.php file, and try again. If it

fails again, please go to the support forums with as much data as you can gather.

6. Note the password given to you.

7. The install script should then send you to the login page. Sign in with the username admin and the password generated during the installation. You can then click on 'Profile' to change the password.

I tried all of this manytimes. I even went to the WP forums for help but my topics kept getting locked without an explanation.

Upgrading from any previous WordPress to 2.2:

1. Delete your old WP files, saving ones you've modified.

2. Upload the new files.

3. Point your browser to /wp-admin/upgrade.php.

4. You wanted more, perhaps? That's it!

I also did this exactly as it says with no results.

I wouldn't be so upset about this but I really want all the new features in this release like the built-in widgets and such. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

I had no such problems. What is the error you are getting? Did you set privileges for yor database in cpanel? While upgrading you are supposed to leave wp-config.php without changing or deleting.

My page comes up fine but I get this error when I goto my wordpress admin panel:

Warning: require_once(/home/comfortc/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/widgets.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/comfortc/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php on line 1503
Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/comfortc/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/widgets.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;) in /home/comfortc/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/functions.php on line 1503

The main things to check are: did you actually upload that file? and have you set the permissions correctly? If the file doesn't exist, or the script can't see it then it will report that the file doesn't exist. Make sure the file is where that path says it should be, and check it is CHMODed correctly.Also, people seem to say this error can be caused by not deactivating all your plugins before you go ahead with an upgrade. If you are upgrading, make sure you have disabled all your plugins before trying to upgrade.

please use quotes for the instructions. those are taken from the wordpress website.with regards to the question, i haven't encountered any problems installing wordpress in my hosting account, nor with the upgrades. check your files, or to make this easier, reupload everything and re-do all the steps. make sure to follow everything along with the creation of the database for your wordpress installation.

You will have to excuse me, I'm very new to this. This is my first time trying to update Wordpress, I had Xisto - Web Hosting install 2.1 because I had no clue what I was doing.1. How do I set permissions in Cpanel?2. Would it help if I contacted Xisto - Web Hosting to find out where exactly they uploaded the WP files before?Thanks alot for the help guys, hopefully I'll learn how to do it myself in the near future.