xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
RelinquishedPerson

How Do I Clear Out A Lot Of Space On My Pc? I am not the most tecnological person

Well I finally got 1.24 mb of RAM on my Dell computer running windows XP. Now to finish my quest on making my computer very perfect is clearing out old programs. I know that there is an Add/Remove programs option but that really doesn't delete it completely. Any one know how?

ok, first thing, download the pcdecrapifier (https://www.pcdecrapifier.com/) then run that. otherwise do what i do and go through all your folders and delete what you dont need, its the most effective way. but dont delete stuff that looks important that ur comp migh need...like stay out of driver and dell folders.

If you only have 1.24 MB of RAM left for programs to stay resident in, it's not a matter of HD space that a simple removal of programs off the HD would do, but rather you have too much loaded into memory, and you have to shut down the programs in the system tray. See the besttechie.net forums for programs you can use to remove programs from auto-loading from memory(it is stickied in one of the forums). Chances are none of those programs are required for the OS to work - not even the virus scanner if you can trust yourself.

the only programs you actually need running are the actual os, which you dont have control over that. but i definately would suggest leaving the antivirus running...and its good to shut down your computer when you are not using it, i.e. overnight or if your going on a vacation. that lets the ram clear and everything cool down. 1.24mb (i think u mean gb) should get u far enough, thats what i have. what kinda of ram did you get, like wat brand and stuff, because i pretty much have the same setup as you, i use Crucial, its kinda expensive so i buy it from NewEgg.com.

for decreasing the disk space I recommend you burn all big size videos and music in a DVD and delete them from your hard drive.... if they exist!! :)

Try disk defragmenting and disc cleanup, both are already on windows.They help free up space and ram.You can find these tools under control panel > performance and maintenancehope this helps.

If it's a ram issue that you have then I recommend downloading and run RAM DEF XT http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ram_def.html, this little program helps clean up a lot of use memory and your computer works perfectly after running it a few times on either a dialy or weekly basis depending how much you use the computer. You also might want to look for a program that cleans and defrags your registry to clean up errors and software you never use anymore. Another awesome program is this http://forums.xisto.com/topic/47717-glary-utilities-review/, although now you have to purchase it but worth the money http://www.glarysoft.com/, if you run all the sub programs using this expect your computer to run a bit better as well.

You can also try the SC Disk Info Utility which is 100% free.

Quote from the webpage:

SC-DiskInfo is an easy to use disk space usage analyzer that allows you to see which folders take up the most space. It displays number of subdirectories, file count and overall size, as well as a graphical chart display to quickly spot the largest folders. You can sort the report for all columns. At installation, you have the option to integrate SC-DiskInfo with Windows Explorer.

It's really helpful for tracking down bloated or forgotten folders.

As for RAM usage you can try using MSConfig. Here is a tutorial on How to Use MSConfig
Edited by Renaissance (see edit history)

I suggest the best thing is once you think you've uninstalled all of the programs go to the tuneup utilities site: /oldbrowser/index.html and download the free 30 day trial of the tuneup utilities 2007 (Last time I used it the version was 2006, but it shouldn't make too much difference.)

Find the registry cleaner and just run that. You may be prompted to run it twice.

Honestly, you'll be shocked at the number of duff registry entries. I had about 1500 broken registry entries and I don't install / uninstall very much at all nor have that many programs. I try not to install things that I'll be uninstalling straight away for that exact reason...

It does speed things up if thats what your trying to do; and delete the large files later!!

I had to do some maintence on my computer recently and i got a little better performance out of it. With the right settings i am able to run css at an average of 40 fps with a ati xpress 200 video card and that is quite a accomplishment.Not saying that simply cleaning up your computer will make all your games run better but here is what I what i did to clean up my computer.First I go through and find whatever files I put on the computer and no longer want unitalling them using add or remove programs to prevent invalid registries and deleting their original .exe files if they did not come from a disc. After i get rid of all the files i do not want then I run Windows Live OneCare to get rid of all my invalid items. After that I use disc defragmenter to make things easier on the prossecer so it does not have search all over the hard drive for files.The one thing I cannot do with my new computer is scan disc or disc cleanup. The reason for this is the computer i have has window as a one time install and i can only update it. It did not come with original disc and sometimes when running system maintence tools it will ask for your disc to repair dll cache files. So it might always help to get a computer that comes with a windows disc.

I also go to start run and type in msconfig that will help change alot of you startup programs and you can elminate processes.Also try services.msc but be careful with which one you disable because your system will become unstable and you might have turn your computer off and turn it back on so have fun.

Edited by reelkill (see edit history)