xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
masugidsk8r

Gaming In Win2k, Programming In Ubuntu

Alright, the way my pc is set up right now is that I have a dual-boot set up (Win2k and Ubuntu). I split my hard drive so that I use 25g for my Windows OS and 50g for my Ubuntu Linux.

I would mainly use Windows to play my 2 games (FYI Warrock and Scions of Fate) and then Ubuntu for all my programming purposes (Eclipse PHP,JS,Java, Netbeans and all those other good stuff). Oh yeah, since my "Paperweight" Lexmark X5470 won't work in my Ubuntu Feisty, I installed the driver in my Windows. Basic browsing and word processing will be in Ubuntu.

For those who use dual-booting with Windows and Ubuntu, how do you guys use it?

For those who use dual-booting with Windows and Ubuntu, how do you guys use it?

If it weren't for one specific program which the programmers said will never be for Linux (or Mac), i would have dumped Windows a long time ago. I don't use or need Windows for anything else: I can do it in Linux. This one program is called Fruityloops. I downloaded and installed the packages from Ubuntu Studio, but some of the programs confuse me on how to use them, and some just don't compare with Fruityloops. All the games i play are for my PS2—no worries here.

I don't even use my Linux partition that often because it simply doesn't have the applications that I want to use. Fireworks is the main culprit. Usually if I go into my Linux partition I use it for testing my web designs and testing Unicode since it seems to have a better grip on unicode than Windows.

I'm using Windows XP and Knoppix 5.1, but the concept is still the same. I'm on Knoppix most of the time. I do all of my web design on Knoppix because of the fact that it has line numbers (unlike Notepad). I rarely use Windows since it seems to go pretty slow for whatever reason, but I use that if I need to develop a Windows application for someone, or if I feel like playing Halo. , I will use it.I use a flash drive to transfer my files between Windows and Knoppix. Knoppix still doesn't like writing on NTFS formatted drives, and Windows doesn't read the ex3 file system I'm running on my Linux partition.