xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jalkson

Need Help Installing Smf Its not finding the files I upload.

I downloaded the zip version of the SMF, from http://www.simplemachines.org/

I am using SmartFTP, to upload the files.

I created a folder, named Forum, and uploaded all the SMF files there.

On the simplemachines site, it tells me to type my site url followed by /forum/install.php, or whatever the directory I installed it on is called. I tried that, and I come up with this on the page.

Not Found

The requested URL /forum/smf1.1/install.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.37 Server at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Port 80

As far as I know, I'm uploading the files correctly, I'm just not sure what the problem could be. If anyone has/is using SMF with their Xisto hosted site, please help me.

I tried searching, but you can't search for SMF, since it's only 3 characters long. (4 is minimum)

Most common problem is making certain that the zip was uploaded and un-packed into a sub-folder of the public_html folder. If the package is not in the public_html or www folder, it will not be accessible from the web... Your options are to 'move' the folder/files or to re-upload into a subfolder of the appropriate (public_html) folder.Sign in to your Cpanel, use the File Manager to find the correct file and run it from inside the File Manager. Navigate your account by clicking on the file Folder Icons. Activate the file by clicking on the filename and then the URL produced at the bottom of the list in the top right hand side of the page.Any further information, or problems, please re-post here. Hope this helps.

This is going to sound dumb, but this is my first host, as well as my first time using FTP.I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the Public_HTML, could you elaborate on that a bit?Thank you for your help so far, at least I know it can be done.EDIT:Actually, I found the public_HTML and WWW folders, sorry about that. Now, is there any specific one I have to move the files to? As in the one with my user name? Or do I just need to have the folder in there somewhere.EDIT2:I uploaded everything fine, now I'm installing.SMF asks for my MySQL Server Settings, I already created a database, and I entered everything to the best of my knowledge. The SMF installer, keeps giving me an error saying that the MySQL can't be accessed, telling me to contact my host if I'm not sure what the MySQL information is. My question is, what do I put for the MySQL information?Sorry for asking so many questions, and thank you for being so patient with me.This is the exact error it gives me:Cannot connect to the MySQL database server with the supplied data.If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host.Access denied for user 'jalkson_jalkson'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Edited by Jalkson (see edit history)

The Apache Server that is used here at the Xisto normally uses the public_html folder to source the accounts from. Each account has their own protetced public_html folder to use for providing pages and information on the web. The www folder is an alias, or mirror, of the contents of the public_html folder, so do not delete anything from the www folder. it simply points to the public_html folder, you see, so if you delete something inside the www folder, it is gone from public_html, too. Similarly, your visitors can access the information from either of the folders. Confused yet?I would suggest you place the files in public_html. That is more common.post back here if you need any more info...