xisto Community
masugidsk8r

Install Xampp In Ubuntu Fiesty

Okay, here's the tutorial I keep on finding but won't work:

Step 4 Get the server software.
When running a LAMPP server you actually need to get the AMPP part. I like to install the XAMPP server from Apache Friends as it organizes the files and makes installing a snap!

1. Download XAMPP.
https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html

2. Install XAMPP
Click on the Applications menu, then accessories and finally Terminal. While I hate having to jump through hoops with the stupid terminal, trust me this will simplify your life.

In the terminal prompt type:

sudo tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.6.1.tar.gz -C /opt

This will install Apache web server with PHP and the MySQL database server.

3. Start the server
In the terminal type:

/opt/lampp/lampp start

You should now see something like this on your screen:

Starting XAMPP 1.6.1...
LAMPP: Starting Apache...
LAMPP: Starting MySQL...
LAMPP started.

4. When it is done, click on Firefox and go to LOCALHOST/ in the address bar. If you see the Orange XAMPP logo, congratulations you have it setup. But not so fast, you still need to setup the tools to manage the system!

5. Security
With any server install, especially on that is accessible to the public; you need to make sure that the system is locked down from hacking. XAMPP again makes it easy to secure the server.

In the terminal type:

/opt/lampp/lampp security

Follow the step-by-step directions to setup all of the passwords and security on the server.

What I can't get to do is to do this command line:

sudo tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.6.1.tar.gz -C /opt

It says there's no file or directory called "/opt"

>> I tried creating a folder (which I believe has to be in the file system folder "/") but I can't. So what's the deal? How are others able to do it?

Install the stuff through the package manager, Synaptic. It does all the work for you—all the configuration and everything.

Mark for installation the following packages: apache2, php5, libapache2-mod-php5, mysql-client-5.0, mysql-server-5.0, php5-mysql, phpmyadmin. Mark any additional packages it says are required in the pop-up that appears. Apply, and viola.

The internet files will be stored in "/var/www"—you may require root access (i can tell you how to make it so you don't, if you want), but you can tell Apache to use another directory instead of /var/www by editing the file /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default. Then, after editing it, restart apache in the terminal using:

sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

You can also install MySQL Browser, Navigator and Admin, too; if you'd like.

If you want GD support for PHP, install php5-gd.

Well, I got it to work like a few seconds after this post. But I didn't know where to put my files because any files in my htdocs dir woouldn't work. So thanks for ur post. I want to install phpmyadmin (I guess inside this /var/www right?) Can you help me out with this?

I want to install phpmyadmin (I guess inside this /var/www right?) Can you help me out with this?

You can install PHPMyAdmin into that folder simply by installing it through the package manager: installing the package phpmyadmin.

The PHPMyAdmin installation (the defaults) may be found here: /etc/phpmyadmin.

You can access it online here: LOCALHOST/phpmyadmin/

oh wow really? Man synaptic manager is that good huh? Well I found downloading it from the PHPMyAdmin site and just installing quite helpful. But I think synaptic method would have been so much easier. Thanks man.

with Xampp, the htdocs folder is in /opt/lampp/htdocs you should generally always use FTP to access it, though, because of permissions. (default username "nobody" and password "lampp").