xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cragllo

How To Make You Own Computer Icons.... you know you wanna...

Ah, but how do you apply them to the particular filetype? I orginally asked you about this because I wanted to make all the .php files on my computer show the PHP logo. So I dl'ed the logo, changed the size, extention, etc. But how do you apply them to that filetype?Heh, I got ya here don't I?

Yep.. Knew it! I'll find out, and let yall know! Heh! I managed to fool the almighty Craig! (Can I call you Craig? Okay, Good) Man I knew this program that allowed you to add icons to the system32.dll thingy, and now... my mind is blank.. Oh well, get back to ya later.

Ah, but how do you apply them to the particular filetype? I orginally asked you about this because I wanted to make all the .php files on my computer show the PHP logo. So I dl'ed the logo, changed the size, extention, etc. But how do you apply them to that filetype?

Heh, I got ya here don't I?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right click, Properties, Change Icon, Browse, Find your icon, select it, apply, your done.

Altho for making an icon i usually use normal pictures (jpeg's, gif's) and scale them down a bit so they are good quality then i use a free icon converting program and just open the file and save it as .ico or even as a curson .cur. Hope that helps and icons are very easy to make.

**EDIT, i really need to stop just scimming thru the posts, yes my method will only change the one icon of one file or folder and not the .php files in general, to do that you will need a registry edit, try google.

is it really work? i have tried it, but when i use it for my Cd icon (run automatically by create AUTORUN.inf), it doesn't work.. i think there is a software to create it... should the image be 25 X 25 pixels?

Creating these ico files will cause errors. They also will be poor quality and especialy as icos are scaled. If you do a google search you will find a program that can make correct icos and dlls from images, and they will also indclude transparentcy.

Open a folder on your computer.

Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types -> Advanced -> Change Icon

;)

This changes the icon for a single file type, for example all .php files.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is what actrually works... I foudn this out in win 95 about 6 years ago, when I just messed around with the operating system for the heck of it. (I learned a lot though.)

Creating these ico files will cause errors. They also will be poor quality and especialy as icos are scaled. If you do a google search you will find a program that can make correct icos and dlls from images, and they will also indclude transparentcy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not if you create them at the correct size initially. I believe that it is 64x64, although I am not sure about that. Also, png and gif files support transparency, so if you create it using transparency and then convert the extension liek that, it should work out all right. I believe that I have done this before, although I am not completely sure.

there are a lot of high quality apps that allow you to create high quality icons- not ones that just resize a given image, but actually give you control.

A favorite, and -extremely- inexpensive favorite of mine is by the Iconfactory- http://iconfactory.com//. It works simply as a Photoshop plugin- nothing could be simpler and more productive than that, man. With IconBuilder, you can not only create the icon but in high quality resolutions, and decide what icon to show depending on the size of the icon- this is especially important for lucky mac lovers- as Panther allows for -insanely- large yet beautiful icons.

Also, it was mentioned about getting an error changing the icon for your cd. Well, I'm not an expert on pc's as I am a mac addict, but yet again the IconFactory has your perfect extremely inexpensive shareware solution- Candy Bar, and it is -kick *bottom*- ...trust me. or just see for yourself. :rolleyes:

i think your talking about something else, but you know that icon in .. say ... the firefox browser before the url, or when you bookmark a webpage, in favorites, it's a specific icon? how do you do that? it must be something with HTML tag or something, but can't find it anywhere. thanks.

i think your talking about something else, but you know that icon in .. say ... the firefox browser before the url, or when you bookmark a webpage, in favorites, it's a specific icon?  how do you do that?  it must be something with HTML tag or something, but can't find it anywhere.  thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Webpage favicons are easy. Just put an icon called "favicon.ico" in the same directory as the webpage and add <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico"> to the head (between <head> and </head>) in the HTML document.

There is one really nifty webpage which generates an icon from an image you upload. It's here:http://favicon.htmlkit.com/favicon/

Just pick an image to upload, klick on the "generate" button and download the zip. :rolleyes: