xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Teaspace

Life Crisis, Need Advice!

Hello, I'm new here. My name is Tobias. I'm here because I'm making some serious decisions in my life right now. Talking to friends and family is no use in this case, I need advice from people who don't know me personally and have no emotional attachment towards me. The Scenario is that I'm 26 years old. I have been stuck in dead-end retail/sales positions since I graduated High School. I have always struggled financially which prevented me from furthering my education. I tried enrolling at community college a few times, yet bills and jobs always got in the way and forced me to drop out. I'm not the type of person to balance work and study all at once. So now I'm 26, in the same position I was in when I was 18. I have always wanted to do something related to Art, Illustration or Design. The most positive thing I'm doing right now is an online comic, non-profit of course and more of a hobby than anything else. My roommate who writes it has been putting a lot of effort into it by building up the site and updating. While I work on the Drawing on weekends. Yet for me, it's just a 50/50 chance somethig might come of it.I am getting desperate. I have been to a few job placement agencies and I can barely answer them when they ask me what my goals are, which is pretty scary, not knowing what you want anymore. So now I'm considering to join the Military (Air Force) as a last resort to fix my life. These are risky times to join, yet I see no hope anywhere else. I'm tired of trying school just to constantly fail. So I'm torn. It would mean leaving my friends, leaving familiar territory, risk of getting deployed. Yet If I stay here, I might end up being a retail slave for the rest of my life....Anyone who can relate or offer me any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Edited by Teaspace (see edit history)

Well I would say my situation is somewhat similar, I am 25 not working, but attending a community college with the money I earn through the military, somewhat and like you I can't balance work and school at the same time. Now two things that I do know about is that airforce deployments are short (6 months unless that changed for them), and while in the military you should be able to balance out school and working at the same time. Now it is possible to take online courses while deployed but you would have to work that out between you, commanding officer, and the school adviser on how to best approach the situation, of course getting your education is free also through the military. Now while deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, the amount of money increases for you because you get a good amount of bonuses, I was making about 3k a month while in Iraq. Of course being in the military you need to have a good stress level because it does get stressful especially when you get deployed. Of course theres the physical aspect as well, they like to drill that in you to stay in tip top shape and all that good stuff. All the perks are there as to why you want to join, but the danger factor is very high especially since a lot of airforce personal are doign jobs they are trained for.Of course the lack of people that are signing up the military have been pushing for bigger bonus packages and what, I am not saying you have to join which is fine but you wanted something to think about and so there you go.

First of all, I want to say that you should never ever join the air-force or the army. It's one thing to defend your country, and completely another to invade another country.Now, you said your problem was that you still have the same job you had, when you were 18, and you couldn't continue your studies.First of all to get a better job you don't need to go to college, simply be good at your job. The only way to do that is to be passionate about your job.It could be about anything, if your not sure what you'd be gr8 at, ask your friends and family they'll be able to tell you.Now you said you make web-comics, keep doing that but put more effort into it, stop doing it as a hobby and look at it like a business opportunity.Now this completely depends on how good you are, but make a really good comic, not a strip, but a full comic with a whole storyline, complete with character build-up, suspense, plot twists, and happy ending. Then send it to the comic book publishers (yes like Marvel and DC, search the internet), if you never try you'll never know. Another way to do it is to continue it as a web comic but market it extensively. Soon you'll be getting a loyal fan-base. Take a look at other successful web-comics like MacHall or CRTL+ALT+DEL.PS. You could always start a blog, if you write well you'll be able to earn a neat figure.

I know, you must be going through a tough time! You said that you have a problem with answering that question about what your goal is. But, I think you should have nothing to worry about with that question! You do art! I mean, come on! You could say that art is your passion, your hobby and you want to focus your life on that, you could say a million things to answer that question because you do art. Art is like a gift, you must be very talented to be good at it. I want to be a scientist when I am older, (I'm 14, lol) and if I was to answer that question, I would say that I want to be a helping hand to the world and discover something that may change our views about life forever! I would be ambitious, I would show my burning desire to get whatever I want!If you are having trouble with the money you have to pay for university, or college, why not get a student loan. If you are in the UK, you can get something called a student loan, which will pay for your education fees and you don't pay back until you are in full time employement and earning a decent sum of money!You sound like and intelligent man with loads of potential, and there must be a lot of money in your destiny! You just need to start off on the right foot!Well, good luck, I hope and pray with all my heart that you succeed!(I hope I didn't sound freaky, did I? Lol!)

Edited by sweet_princess (see edit history)

wow, 14??? some wise words from someone your age. That's a great goal you have for yourself. And yes, you're right, my passion lies in art. But art doesn't pay the bills, especially here in Los Angeles. This town is filled with Starving Artists, and I just can't starve anymore. And my decision regarding the military is not just about getting an education. it's a sense of getting away, seeing and experiencing something different. I've been stuck in this city for nearly 13 years now. I never go on vacation because I simply can't afford it. It's a real struggle. I have thought about going back to school on a loan as well, yet I'm already in so much debt that I really don't want to owe more money than I already do. And the educational system is so screwed up here in California that you have to make scrap in order to qualify for financial aid....so, I owe too much money to get more loans, yet I make too much money for financial aid...so I'm pretty much stuck. Life is though, you might not realize it now, but wait til you grow older, start paying rent, etc. Thanks though for your prayers and advice, keep doing what you're doing.

Now, you said your problem was that you still have the same job you had, when you were 18, and you couldn't continue your studies.

First of all to get a better job you don't need to go to college, simply be good at your job. The only way to do that is to be passionate about your job.It could be about anything, if your not sure what you'd be gr8 at, ask your friends and family they'll be able to tell you.

Now you said you make web-comics, keep doing that but put more effort into it, stop doing it as a hobby and look at it like a business opportunity.Now this completely depends on how good you are, but make a really good comic, not a strip, but a full comic with a whole storyline, complete with character build-up, suspense, plot twists, and happy ending. Then send it to the comic book publishers (yes like Marvel and DC, search the internet), if you never try you'll never know.

Another way to do it is to continue it as a web comic but market it extensively. Soon you'll be getting a loyal fan-base. Take a look at other successful web-comics like MacHall or CRTL+ALT+DEL.

PS. You could always start a blog, if you write well you'll be able to earn a neat figure.

I completely agree with zachwyler. I understand your situation and believe me things will change.

There are many fears we have within us which stop us from doing something we desire. The talent in you is your gift. Identify the fears you've got which are stopping you from what you want to do.

Don't give yourself a chance in future to say that "If you had done something then.. things would had been different."

You feel like making comics, keep making them. When others rest with their family and kids .. enjoying their lives, you have the chance to feed your talent with time. Take pleasure in your work and do it with full heart. Give time to each and every minute details to bring out the best you can.

Consider yourself fortunate enough to have access to the internet. Put your comics online and create your online profile. Let people see your work and rate you.

You need not make money now .. but by the time you find some solution to your financial problems, you will have a good online profile. Use this profile to promote yourself locally.

Making Money and exploring your talent are two different things. Both don't start together, but once you explore your talent to the peak, money just follows. There is no rule which says, you must earn money by doing only what you like. This is not possible in many cases.. for eg. like yours. In your case, you need to earn using an alternative source that you can live and practice your skills. Now, When I say practice your skills, its very serious. If you do it by heart, your output will be different than those comic publishers who are doing the job only for money. This is where you stand out and score ahead. :-)

Believe me, I worked in a cybercafe for keeping up Xisto. :-) I was at a point where I felt, I m all drained and there is no scope for improvement. Today, I got a wonderful team and members eager to manage Xisto.

I will wait for the day when you create a topic saying... you finally found the right job and doing what you always wanted to do. Consider yourself fortunate to know your interest because there are millions of people who still work out of no interest. Who never had a chance to discover themselves and realize what they want to do.

Hard Work is like the Stairs,

Luck is like a Lift,

Lift may fail sometimes but whatever may be the occasion,

Stairs will always get you to the Top :-)

Best of Luck.

I completely agree with zachwyler. I understand your situation and believe me things will change.

There are many fears we have within us which stop us from doing something we desire. The talent in you is your gift. Identify the fears you've got which are stopping you from what you want to do.

Don't give yourself a chance in future to say that "If you had done something then.. things would had been different."

You feel like making comics, keep making them. When others rest with their family and kids .. enjoying their lives, you have the chance to feed your talent with time. Take pleasure in your work and do it with full heart. Give time to each and every minute details to bring out the best you can.

Consider yourself fortunate enough to have access to the internet. Put your comics online and create your online profile. Let people see your work and rate you.

You need not make money now .. but by the time you find some solution to your financial problems, you will have a good online profile. Use this profile to promote yourself locally.

Making Money and exploring your talent are two different things. Both don't start together, but once you explore your talent to the peak, money just follows. There is no rule which says, you must earn money by doing only what you like. This is not possible in many cases.. for eg. like yours. In your case, you need to earn using an alternative source that you can live and practice your skills. Now, When I say practice your skills, its very serious. If you do it by heart, your output will be different than those comic publishers who are doing the job only for money. This is where you stand out and score ahead. :-)

Believe me, I worked in a cybercafe for keeping up Xisto. :-) I was at a point where I felt, I m all drained and there is no scope for improvement. Today, I got a wonderful team and members eager to manage Xisto.

I will wait for the day when you create a topic saying... you finally found the right job and doing what you always wanted to do. Consider yourself fortunate to know your interest because there are millions of people who still work out of no interest. Who never had a chance to discover themselves and realize what they want to do.

Hard Work is like the Stairs,

Luck is like a Lift,

Lift may fail sometimes but whatever may be the occasion,

Stairs will always get you to the Top :-)

Best of Luck.

Thanks a lot. I actually already have comics online that are written by my roommate. Being a starving artist is hard. But at least for now I have talked myself out of joining the military and keep doing the best I can here.

I appreciate all your comments. Trap 17 is a cool place to read and get inspired.

if you guys would liket to see my work you can find it at http://www.coffeetimecomics.com/

let me know what you think.

thanks.

Ya know, I would actually listen to the people who are close to you for this, but if that's what you want to do then it may be the best thing.You seem to be in a pretty bad position financially, and so I guess joining the Air Force or military may be a reasonable decision. There's also the fact that you would be serving your country, which is great and everyone should appreciate that.Ultimately this is your decision and you should think by yourself what you should do. Good luck!

Your site is awsome man. I love the comics they must of taken alot of time and effort to create. Can i ask waht kind of program or tools you use to create those?

You know I am a real believer of education and I am just 15 and can't imagine your scenario. I would recommend to try doing some courses to upgrade your skills and just be happy with your life and don't run after money as that is not the only thing that matters. Look at the positive side of life and you're young and still have lots of opportunities. One of my plans includes doing any job for around 4-5 years and invest all my money in Indian land and agriculture for example a life in India can be really nice in villages if you have the cash in foreign currency and since your probably live in the US or Canada your currency has a high value so why don't you think of that. Joining the milatary might be a good idea as if you are patriot you feel much better and you can be happy with that job.

"I can barely answer them when they ask me what my goals are, which is pretty scary, not knowing what you want anymore." And there in lies your problem. Until you decide what your goals are, it is pretty difficult to set a corse of action in motion. One thing to do, analize your money situation. Know exactly why you are in debt and start making changes to rectify that situation. Adjustments to your lifestyle may be in order. So many young people today think they have to have "everything" at once, a new car, expensive clothes, etc, recreational expenses that may not really be needed. Simple things can add up quickly. Sure, after a hard day at work you feel you are "entitled" to something, maybe a few beers with friends, but that is money out of your pocket that could be used to get you out of the slump you are in. And yes, you are definatly in a rut. I think you need to find a way out of it first, to help you think more clearly about the future. Maybe a change of scenery would help. Does the company you currently work for have stores in other parts of the country? Maybe a transfer to get you out of where you are now. Just finding another job may help. The military is not a bad idea. Benefits are good and you would do well with a change of pace. Enlistmenst are just for a couple years, and since you feel you have "wasted" quite a few years allready, what's a couple more even if it doesn't work out. Of course, there is the possiblity that you are simply suffering from "burn out." You haven't had a vacation in awhile and you may need some time away. There are ways to find "cheap" entertainment, but be sensible about it. I can certainly understand not wanting to be a starving artist. There are only a small percentage of people that can ever make it in this field, much like profesional athletes and movie stars. You have to be realistic about your chances. As the old saying goes, *BLEEP* in one hand and wish in the other and see which one gets full the fastest. Maybe it would help if you just set a small goal. I am going to pay off such and such bill. Set your mind to it and get it done, the satisfaction of accomplishing it will do your emotional stability a world of good. I think you will get a lot of good input here. At least it will make you think and maybe figure out a solution on your own. Think about all the good things you have working in your favor and appreciate them. You are young, healthy, and at least have a job! Good luck!

Argh sounds like one pesky situation, that we all (sooner or later) will get to experience.I just graduated from 10th year of school (in Norway we start at the age of 5/6). (I turn 16 soon.)Now at school i did bad, had low grades and a really ****** experience. Final year i did try hard to get grades up - Some fell, some went up greatly.After this summer, i have no idea what i'm going to next. And with my 5.5 / 10.0 Average, my possibilities are limited - I want to become a web designer , a photograph (Art in general) and things that relate to this.All i can say is... NEVER GIVE UP! Always look for a solution, because even as 'dumb' as it seems - Go for it - If it's your last resort - Go for it!And yeah the army in the US / army at all is a big step, and a dangerous one. Don't take it because that's all you can see.Take your website http://www.coffeetimecomics.com/ for example - I liked it a lot - The comics looks great - And this will (hopefully) the rest of the world see, you can earn profits , advertising on the site, maybe accepting donations!Whatever it takes to keep money coming in. You like drawing art maybe? Why not head to closest city and do some "caricature-drawings" of others? People pay for this too, and as long as you like what you're doing - And earn money at the same time, i say GO FOR IT!