xisto Community
alapidus

Cheapest Way To Learn Vb? i dont want to spend a lot of money

If you didnt want to spend money buying vb6 just incase you didnt like it that much , you could try another option.In excel ... i am presuming that you have excel , you can add in visual basic code.To enable visual basic in excel .... view/toolbars and tick visual basic.You now get the visual basic toolbox.Open up the control toolbox .... select control button.Now use mouse and left button down to define the size of a button on the worksheet.Double click on the command button and it takes you into the visual basic editor.From there you can then type your visual basic code that is associated with that button.For example type in the word beep between the 2 lines private sub and end sub.Now go back to your spreadsheet and click on the triangle/ruler icon in the visual basic toolbox ..... this will exit the visual basic design mode.Now if you click on the button you will hear a beep.The code is called VBA , its not visual basic 6 .... but its near enough and a good place to start.

You can try visitng websites that offer free VB tutorials. You can save the pages in your hardrive so you don't have to learn while you're online. There are tons of websites that cater to VB starters and I'm sure you'll find something. They might even allow downloads of existing projects with the forms and the source codes. :)

i wanna learn VB but i know that it costs money. for someone like me who justs want to learn, experiment, and make some basic (no pun intended) programs, what are my best and cheapest options? and where can i buy it?
if i can get VB bundled with a book tutorial that would be great!

Hi!

You can learn VB by downloading Microsoft Visual Basic Express 2008 for free from the Microsoft website. You can also find plenty of eBooks on Visual Basic floating around on the web, but one source worthy of mention is the ASP.NET website at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ that contains videos and a Wiki. For developing web applications with VB.NET, you'll also need to download Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express, both of which are also available as a free download from the Microsoft website.

Regards,
Nitin Reddy