xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Damen

Man Am I Dumb! Network story

Well at my house we have the net on a comp. I made for my parents upstairs. Well I have been bugging them about putting it down in my room and they finally agreed. So I had to gather some equipment right?So for my parents computer it is so old it doesn\'t have a on board nic. So I had to find one from my comp. part stash downstairs and copy down some model numbers. Install the nic...SO MANY CORDS! Then find the drivers...Took forever! We were using usb to connect it before from the modem.Two short ethernet cables!*check*One fifty foot ethernet cable!*check*Router!Er....WAIT!I thought I had a router so this is where the story begins!I set-up the network correctly in a star topology.Ethernet cable from modem to \"router\"Ethernet cable from \"router\" to Parents computer.Ethernet cable from \"router\" to my computer.Ok....well the net would on the parents but not mine. We reset to modem repaired our connections, then mine would work then not hers.Lol that was fine with me but she didn\'t like that.For four hours straight I was trying to trouble shoot.Well, finally windows decided to tell me that there was a IP conflict with another system on my network....er...WTH!Well now I was catching onto our problem!What I actually had was a workgroup hub, not a router. Hubs/switches can connect computers and share resources. But a hub cannot assign seperate IP addresses to different computers on the network. Hence my problem. So I had to order one last night. $20.50 was the cheapest one I could find with some good reviews.So I just thought I would share this lovely information with you guys!Oh, and by the way. When I am on my parents computer and surfing the net is seems soooo slow! We have highspeed and it bugged me! Well if ends up it is my parents computer slowing it down. On their computer it is connected and 10mb/s mine says 100mb/s. Pretty good difference!I am not complaining. I don\'t want to install another nic.Fun times eh?

Well, you couldn't be too dumb. You successfully completed what you set out to accomplish, trouble shot and solved all the problems. Congratulations!! I don't understand a thing you did. :unsure: It is all way over my head. So who is dumb now? :( Edited by Mich (see edit history)

At my parent's house I had to do the same thing except I went about it in a different way. Instead of buying a router I hooked up my cable modem to my parent's computer using the USB cable that came in the modem's box and then set up a network in XP that was shared. Then I connected an ethernet cable from my parent's computer through the wall to my room and it worked perfectly. :unsure: You'd need a drill to make it pretty though.In my house I just have a wireless modem from the main desktop cause I only use my iBook here.

Edited by Smack (see edit history)

Oh you aren't dumb! I just know computers somewhat.You can do that smack? Darn. I thought you might be able to...I wish I would have tried that before I bought the router. But better to know about it. Thanks!

How its a good thing you've finally set it up right. But by the way... i was confused when you said "but a hub cannot assign separate IP" since DHCP servers do the IP assignment not the hub nor the switch, except for those with built in DHCP servers, commonly on routers. 10mb/s is pretty ok for internet but annoying on file transfers.