xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Smack

Deputy Shot The Teenager!

Today a Houston Deputy was called to a scene of a fight between two teenagers. Soon after the Deputy arrived the fight escalated into a group fight and someone was stabbed. Well the fight was then broken up and the cop began arresting suspects when the teen who had done the stabbing took off running. They (the police) shouted for him to stop and then started firing at him. He was shot in the leg and taken to the hospital. The Deputy's excuse for shooting this kid was that someone said he had a gun. However, a number of witnesses have said that the teen did not have a gun... even the person who was stabbed by said teen! [link]

It seems like these types of incidents are becoming ever more common. Cops resort to force too often... Why would you shoot someone that poses no threat to you? If the kid was facing the cop with a gun in his hand then it would be understandable but to shoot someone in the back is a downright punk move. The LAPD are said to be putting videocameras in their dash, maybe it's time for Houston cops to do the same. At least this way the police can clear their name if they really were in the right, though it seems all too often to be the other way.

Edited by Smack (see edit history)

Ok honestly. I'm on the deputy's side. I believe he shot the kid for the sake of his safety and the civilian's safety.Really, why is it when a child or teenager gets shot, the media makes more of a deal about it than when an adult is shot? I personally feel if you're out there fighting and stabbing, you can take a bullet. Plus, the kid was running. It was his job as a cop to apprehend him. So if you fight and run, you pay the consequences. =/

The way I see it, is if your a kid or adult, if you use violence, even if it's not aimed towards a cop your risking your life. Even if its not violence and it's shop lifting or something, if you try to run you automaticaly give up your security of life. There was a story kind of like this around where I live. A kid had stolen an earth mover and was later shot and killed by an officer. The story was that the kid had stolen the earth mover and when cornered the cops told him to get out and all that; however, instead of getting out, the kid began driving towards the cops, so the cops shot and killed him. The cop that shot him when under investigation and stuff. The media made a huge deal about it because the kid was like 15 or something. So, I think if your going to run or do something violent, you should be ready to be shot and killed, not necesarilly saying you should be, but I don't think you have a right to be protected from it.

The story was that the kid had stolen the earth mover and when cornered the cops told him to get out and all that; however, instead of getting out, the kid began driving towards the cops, so the cops shot and killed him.

In my opinion the cops did as they should, I mean the kid was putting them into direct harm. I assume if the police could have disabled the vehicle they would of already. But if they hadn't tried to disable the vehicle, and could move then they should of just tried to do that.

But shooting a kid who had stabbed someone and already been disarmed who was running is ridiculous, aren't cops taught moves to bring down running suspects? I mean I've seen cops on COPS running to catch many suspects who had committed a violent crime and then tackled them, how come these cops couldn't do the same? I mean, I want to believe the deputies saying that they saw a gun, but when three witnesses said the kid didn't have a gun and he apparently didn't use it in the fight, and one was not recovered afterwards - it just sounds like the cops are making up an excuse to cover up their mistake. Call me paranoid but...

I think the deputy did the right thing in this case. This person has just stabbed someone. If you are willing to stab someone, you are willing to kill them. Generally. I think that cops are taught to do this, if someone like this happens. I say that firing at the teenager was necessary. But only because the teenager stabbed someone.

It was his job as a cop to apprehend him

I agree with that, but only in this case. The case where the kid stole an earthmover is different. Is a life really worth stolen vehicle? I suppose it is the polices job to stop them, no matter what.