xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Turtle Race To Be Tracked On The Web

While looking for something to read and what I came across this article. In Which 11 female turtles will be tracked from their nests in Costa Rica to the Galapagos Islands, which is a 1200 miles journey for these turtles. The reason they are doing this is that they want to make people aware of the fact thes leatherneck turtles are becoming extinct, due to the enviroment and poachers that steal their eggs.

So if your interested about where these tutrles are at and soem other information go to the following website: http://www.greatturtlerace.com/

On the website they set up something like a baseball card in which they give stats about the turtles which I think is pretty cool. another feature they got on the site is that oyu can cheer on one of the turtles, in which you recieve updates about the turtle you pick and see who won. Then the usual tell the friend and even donate some money to the cause as well.

The turtle I picked to cheer on is Saphira, so lets win it for all turtle kind baby ;).

Turtle Fact

can grow to 6 feet and weigh up to 2,000 pounds, that a lot of turtle right, try to pick up one of those bad boys, and back problems will be the only thing that you will be worrying about ;)

I think this is a really neat concept. I have chosen Turtleocity as my pick. They have promised to send me updates on the races progress. I will include them in my blog (site address found in my sig) I am going through some design changes, feel free to comment. The race features these Giant Turtles that make their way from Costa Rica to the Galapagos Islands every year. They have been equiped with satellite trackers on their backs. The turtles nesting patterns have been watched for the past several years. The number of turtles nesting at Las Baulas Marine Park has dropped from 124 in 2006 to 58 this year. The race is being held to promote awareness of the situation and provide ways to help fix it. It is worth your encouragement and support.

Well for the update today which I believe they started maybe either 8 or 9 am this morning, the turtles are, what I found very interesting was the fact that the turtles all started in different locations, I should have saw that coming but here is the email I got for the first update.

nd theyre off! Eleven sea turtles set out for the Galapagos Islands TODAY after nesting on Costa Ricas Playa Grande. On Day One, the Great Turtle Race already promises to be quite a competition.
Quick off the beach, Windy took the early lead, proving shes determined not to let a few bumps and bruises hold her back. Like Windy, many sea turtles get hurt by boat propellers and fishing nets, lines, and hooks. But with a strong kick and a shoulder on the mend, Windy is hauling through the water at a speedy four-mile-per-hour pace.

Close on Windys flippers is the big and beautiful Stephanie Corburtle. Ms. Stephanie is one of many leatherbacks who have stayed away from the race in recent years; the number of turtles nesting on Playa Grande has dwindled by more than 90 percent in just a decade. Race experts now speculate that Stephanie was holed up in training and preparing for her comeback.

In an unusual turn of events today, Champiro, the turtle known for her stellar sense of direction, made a dive to 300 feet beneath the surface. Frontrunner Windy also plunged to 275 feet midday. They might have been snacking on jellyfish. To no ones surprise, Hollywood starlet, Drexelina, got off to slow start after the paparazzi flashed photographs incessantly in her face at the starting line. Turtles are often disoriented by lights on the beach. Drexelina and Sundae are currently in last place.

COME ON Saphira I want to see you to swim as hard as you can ;) and get yourself out of that 8th place ;).

Wow, this is an awesome concept - and their website is easy on the eyes.I want Stephanie Colburtle to win because I <3 The Stephen Colbert Show lol.But seriously, this needs to be shown on all the news channels. Maybe they can take a break from Anna Nicole and talk about something important for once.

Well This post will consist of day's 2 and three since I completely missed the email from day 2 (go figure) Day #2

Tuesday, April 17: Great Turtle Race Logo About halfway through Day Two of The Great Turtle Race, Windy is in the lead, with Stephanie Colburtle trailing 23 miles behind in second. Billie follows Stephanie just one short mile back. In a race that�s nearly 500 miles long, this is still anybody�s game. Bringing up fourth is Purple Lightning, with Genevieve four miles behind. Closely bunched in the middle of the pack are Freedom, Champiro, Turtleocity and Saphira. Sundae and Drexelina bring up the rear. Keep checking http://www.greatturtlerace.com/ throughout the day. The site is updated every ten minutes so you'll get the very latest on your turtle�s progress. To get daily race commentary, visit Mr. Leatherback at https://myspace.com/browser. And be sure to check out http://www.topp.org/ to pick up your turtle�s widget to put on your blog. Remember, turtles need friends!

Day #3

Wednesday, April 18: Great Turtle Race LogoThe results are in, and early leader Windy continued to strut her stuff on Day Two of The Great Turtle Race. Spectators are now questioning whether she has the endurance it takes to go the distance. Though still in first place, Windy slowed to 1.7 miles per hour. Now her scrappy competitors are closing in and fast. Rested and ready to rumble, Billie surpassed Stephanie Colburtle for the No. 2 spot. Miffed that a far smaller turtle was swimming past her, Stephanie dove to 314 feet. With three turtles taking the plunge in just two days, scientists speculate that a bunch of jellyfish must be distracting them...or they're overheated from their sprints and are diving to cooler waters to chill out. A tight middle pack includes Genevieve, Freedom, Champiro, and Purple Lightning. That pits veteran, four-time finisher Freedom against Playa Grande rookie Purple Lightning. It�s also got the crowd whispering about Genevieve�s rumored run-in with a cookie-cutter shark, the likely cause of a mysterious large hole in her front flipper. Leatherback sea turtles have good eyesight underwater that usually helps them avoid predators like sharks. This has race fans wondering if Genevieve�s vision is a concern to be followed. Genevieve�s eye doctor had no comment today when asked about her patient�s vision. Saphira, Turtleocity, Drexelina, and Sundae are chugging away at the back of the bunch. But remember, fans: It�s a 500-mile marathon, not a sprint. To learn more about sea turtles and to check out the updated Great Turtle Race website, visit http://www.greatturtlerace.com/.

Well I guess that is good to know at least I perspective that Wendy is calming down fro mthe way she was moving the first days, but what I can't figure out is why why Drexlina and Sundae still haven't left Costa Rica yet, who knows they might have figureed out what the transmitters were and got rid of them ;). Well Hopefully now that everyone is a bit calmer after traveling about 150 miles in 3 days. If you think about it that is pretty fast for a turtle of their sizes.

Its amazing to see that there are people tracking the turtles and turning it into a race. I wonder if there's a place where you can bet on the race?I'll pick Genevieve because of her name. (I can't believe its powered by Yahoo!)

Looks like the hare won't win this time, but how do the turtles know where they are supposed to be going? i mean you let the turtles in the water, and they'll swim off, how?

That would be called instinct and navigation skills csp, which is basically stored in thier DNA when they are concieved and goes from one generation to another. I do believe turtles have an alpha leader of some sorts, so where one goes the others follows until that instict kicks in more or less.

no, like how do the turtles know that this is a race and how do they know where the finish line is? I know that they have a brain but they don't understand 'human' so how the #^@) would they know where to go?

actually the turtles don't know, only the researchers and pretty much anyone else who goes to the website know about this and so all we doign is seeing who get's there first. The only difference is that humans haven't fully interfered with thier habitat or at least during this race they haven't but thats why they did this to bring awareness that these turtles are disapearring and the bad people need to be taken care of.

For a small update (or rather 4 days worth of updates.

Day #4

Size paid off on Thursday for Stephanie Colburtle. Yesterday, on Day Four of The Great Turtle Race, the 55 turtle - the biggest of the bunch - darted past Billie and is now giving leader Windy a verified swim for her money.
In third place, Billie continues to use her popularity at sea to her benefit. Billie was seen Thursday drafting behind a school of billfish. With her buddies breaking the wake, Billie is taking advantage of a swift ride.

Seventh place Saphira also had a strong swim on Day Four, as she sped up to separate herself from the back of the pack. Turtle analysts say Saphiras deliberate race strategy could be the key to her success. Saphira stayed on the beach for nearly two hours making a nest for her eggs before crossing the start line, and seems to have calculated that now is the time to come from behind and make her move.

The only two rookies in the race, meantime, are having trouble navigating the course. Both Purple Lightning and Turtleocity struggled to fix their internal compasses Thursday as they headed towards Colombia instead of the Galapagos. Unlike humans, sea turtles use the Earths magnetic field to help them determine where they are.

Media darling Drexelina is still not a contender as she lags behind with Sundae. Some speculate that theres something captivating the attention of these two along the shore - something far more important than the race. Others venture that having laid 783 eggs this season, Sundae, this years most fertile turtle, is downright exhausted. Scientists say the both turtles look nice and healthy. The race organizers expect to hold a press conference about the girls tomorrow morning.

Day #5

This morning, scientists announced that Drexelina and Sundae have been so appalled by development along the coast that theyre patrolling the beaches instead of competing in The Great Turtle Race. Sea turtles nesting grounds are often destroyed by construction of hotels, restaurants and houses along the shoreline. Not if its up to Sheriff Sundae and Deputy Drexelina!
Back out at sea, drama was the name of the game on Day Five of the competition. In a disappointing swim, Windy sunk in the ranks, allowing Billie to capture the lead, Stephanie to hold onto second, and come-from-behind Saphira to tear into third.

On the bright side, she didnt get plucked out of the sea by a fisherman, chomped by a great white shark, or choke on a plastic bag, said Windys coach. It could have been worse.

In the middle of the pack, Genevieve and Champiro had strong swims Friday, and many fans spent the day praising Champiro for her steady determination and constant improvement. Since debuting on the nesting circuit seven years ago, Champiro has grown longer and wider with each season. Having made eight nests in 2001, Champiro has now boosted that number to 12 in the 2006-2007 season.

Freedom, who has laid more than 1,500 eggs in the past 12 years, moved up from eighth to seventh place on Day Five. And erratic newcomer Purple Lightning, who remains in ninth, had the fastest split of the day as she moved through the ocean at an average speed of two miles per hour.

Day #6

For the first time in The Great Turtle Race, Ms. Stephanie Colburtle finished the day in the lead. Stephanie has been a top contender throughout the week, but stepped up her performance on Saturday to glide past Billie into first place.
Billie - whose trademark flipper notches indicate shes accustomed to others nipping at her heels - refused to give in without a fight. Though she momentarily gave her fans a scare by darting off course on Day Six, Billie has the willpower to remain a serious competitor.

Farther back on the course on Saturday, Genevieve temporarily stole the limelight from Stephanie, as she dove to 406 feet and held her breath for a staggering 36.5 minutes. Genevieve may not be the fastest swimmer of the group, but yesterdays dive put her within reach of a world record for the time she spent underwater. Some researchers say a 30-minute dive is off the charts; others suspect some leatherbacks at sea may have the ability to hold their breath for close to an hour.

Saphira, Freedom, Genevieve and Champiro are going shell to shell in the mid-field, while young Turtleocity and Purple Lightning continue to explore the sea.

As for Drexelina and Sundae? Theyre receiving fan mail from well-wishers worldwide for their valiant efforts to protect the coast.

Day #7

It could all come down to who has the spiniest throat. As eleven sea turtles complete the first half of The Great Turtle Race, their ability to find food that will keep them energized is more crucial than ever. The spinier a leatherbacks throat, the more difficult it is for her favorite food - jellyfish - to slither away.
At the end of the day Sunday, first place was too close to call. Thats because leaders Billie and Stephanie Colburtle are doing an excellent job of keeping their energy levels high. Staying close to the surface for quick access to air to keep those muscles going, neither Billie nor Stephanie took a dive on Day Seven.

Saphiras strategy continued to pay off as she propelled herself into third place. On the other hand, it became more apparent on Sunday that Windy may have started too fast to maintain her speed.

Turtleocity rediscovered her internal compass on Sunday, gliding into fourth. Freedom, Champiro, Genevieve and Purple Lightning are holding on strong, while Drexelina and Sundae remain on beach patrol.

To keep up with the race action, visit http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, where turtle movements are updated every 10 minutes. While you're there, check out the Sea Turtle School page to find blogs, links, publications, and other resources on sea turtle conservation.

although Saphire is in 4th place (she was 3rd) she will take it back by days in since windy blew most of hersteam on the first 2 days, so lets go Team Saphire!! ;), I wonder when the other 2 turtles will get going though, It would be funny iif they left today and just blew everyone out of the wate rat like days 10 or 11 ;). So I wonder what will be happening in the next 7 days for these brave turtles.

Lol did anyone see the Colbert Report last night? He had an update bragging about how Stephanie Colburtle was winning... She isn't now however, Windy is. Good name to be in a race eh, sounds like a winner there. I think this story has picked up steam, I'm starting to see it all over the news. Though I bet when it is over it will be shown every 5 minutes on the news channels.