xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kev2310

School, Do You 'need' It?

Hi,I actually don't think that we need school for as long as I have been in school I have been a "smart kid gone to waste" just because I have refused to mug up and memorize every line in my text book. It i something like this..I have noticed that teachers all over have had favoritism for students who memorize the answers and then replicate it in the exam papers. I was said to have the potential to get 96% in every subject and I used to get it but then after reaching my 7th grade when I realized the people did not appreciate originality I sort became a wild child. I started failing class tests just to prove a point but always passed properly at the finals.I noticed that in every school I have been in. because of my dad's job I had to keep shifting every 2 years and the experience has been the same in every school. Some teachers treat kids based on marks. I was treated well as I used to get prizes in debates and such. A girl I knew who used to get the highest marks in the class but could not explain a thing or a term in the same answer. Example : She gives the definition of photosynthesis but she will not be able to explain the answer nor will she be able to explain a term in it or something.I think though that we need schools as they are good for social behavior and important for some people who might like a subject that we might not respect. I guess its not schools but the education system that needs to be changed.Sorry about the rambling!!

I think we sort of need school. First of all it gives us a wide basic of general knowledge. This might only count for me, since I study 'ASO' which means General Secondary Education. We get a basic packet of all courses (geology, history,...) which are needed to fit in society. Even when you're younger, school is needed. You learn how to make friends, learn how to write and read, as well as how to behave 'good'.

Hi there guys, I have just joined here but plan on been here daily. Looking at the start date of this topic im glad this has come back up, its just one of those things I like to rant about.Im 15 (16 this coming sunday) and like most others in the United Kingdom I am currently doing my GCSEs and I am finally realising that my life through primary school and high school is pulling together, I find that in the exams I feel confident when I answer the questions, I know this is down to attending most of my school life, im not swot or anything like that, school can be fun if you want it to be. I seem to get along with most of my teachers and me and friends like to have a laugh in lessons but we still manage to learn a great deal while we are there.Ive heard it so many times when people say that school is a waste of time but in my opinion how can it be? I like to see it as the gateway to life. Without school you dont get into college or university and then you have no chance of a decent job and probably having to end up working at McDonalds. So yes we do need it, why be the odd one out and not go to school when millions of people do, personally I think the people that bunk of school are the sad people that think its cool, how can it be cool, is it cool to be dumb and uneducated?Chris.

School is very much necessary , otherwise you would never know what you are up against. School is an important place to bond, cooperate and see how things actually work. At least primary schooling is absolutely necessary. After that it depends on a person's talent I guess but still most need to continue in school.