xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Albus Dumbledore

Speech Advice. i have to give this speech this week, how does it look?

I've gotta give this speech that i wrote this week to my english class, the requirements for it are that it has to be a controversial issue, sources must be identified in the speech, must be between 4-6 minutes (ignore that one) and must address both sides of the argument... and that's it. So besides your personal views on the subject, how does the speech look?

Gay Marriage

I am sure that everyone has heard or seen on the news people arguing and protesting about gay marriage and gay people. Well guess what, you are going to be hearing more about it from me while I attempt to persuade you to think differently about gay marriage and gay people if you haven't already. Gay marriage shouldnt be thought of any differently than straight marriage because it is love, it is love between two human beings. Gay people shouldnt be thought of any differently than straight people, because it is the way that the person thinks, and no one can change how someone thinks. The situation in the argument happens to be between two males or two females but that doesnt make any difference!

If a man likes another man or a woman likes another woman enough that they love them and want to spend the rest of their life with them, its love. Whether the love be between members of the same sex, or of the opposite sex shouldnt matter because its love. Marriage is not about what sexes are involved in the ceremony, it is about the love that the two participants have for each other and no one in the world should be able to say differently than that. If you dont like it then just do what you do to other things that you do not like, and avoid it and ignore it.

Now, I do not want to go into the religious part of the argument but it is essential to proving that gay marriage shouldnt be looked on any differently than straight marriage. Almost every argument that has ever been started about gay marriage has ended up on what the bible says about the matter, on how it shouldnt be allowed, on how people will burn in hell for believing in it, and what to do about the ones who are participating in it.

The bible gives sets of rules, or guidelines for people who wish to enter heaven to follow and believe in. But todays day in age, there are a few rules or guidelines that we do not follow because they are in-humane and are not allowed by the law of the state. One example of the terms the bible says people should believe in is slavery. The bible clearly says in Exodus 21:2-4, If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free. Now a days, slavery is illegal because in the 1800s people fought to end slavery, and they did end it. So despite what the bible says about slavery, the United States of America finds it illegal to own slaves, clearly going against what the bible says about it.

The bible also says that genocide is something else people should believe in and think if right. In Numbers 25:4 it states, The LORD said to Moses, "Take all the leaders of these people, kill them and expose them in broad daylight before the LORD, so that the LORD's fierce anger may turn away from Israel. In that passage, it is clearly supporting genocide. It is asking Moses to take all of the leaders of a group of people and to kill them. Now a days it is illegal for people to kill other people in the United States. That is another good example of how the United States does not always follow the bible.

Whether the United States of America allows homosexuals to get married to one another or not, will never change the fact that they are out there and will not stop them from doing what they do. The whole point of providing you with these quotes from the bible is to prove to you that the United States of America has not always listened to what the bible says about other things like slavery, genocide, and rape. So why should we let one small thing like gay marriage be any different than the choices that America has made to turn against slavery, genocide, and rape? The simple fact is, we shouldnt!