xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
blackrabit

Webpages Probem [resolved]

I got my hosting yesterday and I tried to start uploading my site, everything went right until I tried to open the pages already uploaded, since my domain name is still being realised by Xisto name servers (at least 2 days for that) I'm still using the ip address to access the pages but no luck.For example I installed phpBB2 using Fantastico using the folder forum and after the installation I can't access the page throught the address 64.69.46.210/forum/, however the address 64.69.46.210/cpanel/ works. Why is this happening, am I forgeting about something?Hope to have a solution asap, thanks in advance for your kind attention!!!

Edited by blackrabit (see edit history)

It's because you forgot to state which member to look for "forum" folder :lol:You do not own the whole server IP 64.69.46.210, right? So you should include your cpanel username when using server IP as URL, such that:64.69.46.210/~cpanelUsername/folderI can see your phpBB board just fine :lol: The reason cPanel access works without your username is because cPanel can negotiate which user with which permission (directory).

Well, I wasn't sure if you want your cPanel username to be used in the forum posting :lol:It will be 64.69.46.210/~blackrab/forum or gamma.xisto.com/~blackrab/forum Both will work. I would prefer that everyone uses gamma.xisto.com instead of a fixed IP address.

Well I guess as an admin you can erase it now but I don't my as long as the password is not righ next to it, lol :lol: I was typing ipaddress/cpanel~username/forum, that was the problem.Thanks a lot for your valuable help, I'm used to my own set up server and a complete noob in remotely hosted sites so I'm still fuguring if I'm doing the site to learn about it or if I'm learning to do the site! :lol: Thanks again...

Edited by blackrabit (see edit history)

Just as a future reference, ~username is in the format of UNIX. This is how UNIX distinguishes all different users and translates it as the folder when hosting.Xisto is UNIX OS hosting server. Glad that you got it working. This topic is resolved.