xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Watermonkey

Recipe Request Pumpkin cheesecake

Alright. I think I've got all the ingredients: Libby's pure pumpkin, several bins of cream cheese, sugar, graham cracker pie tins with extra graham crackers just in case... I just need a recipe I can use now. If anyone knows of a good recipe for this wonderful treat, please post it for all to see. Thanks!

No one ever accused me of being patient...

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Recipe By : Libby's

Serving Size : 16

Crust

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1/3 cup butter or margarine -- melted

1/4 cup granulated sugar

Cheesecake

24 ounces cream cheese -- softened

1 cup granulated sugar

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs

1 3/4 cups solid pack pumpkin

2/3 cup evaporated milk

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Topping

2 cups sour cream -- room temperature

1/3 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Crust: Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar in a med. bowl. Press 
onto bottom and 1" up side of 9" springform pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree 
oven for 6-8 min. Do not allow to brown. Cool on wire rack for 10 min.

Cheesecake: Beat cream cheese and sugars in large mixer bowl until fluffy. Beat 
in eggs, pumpkin and milk. Add cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. Beat well. Pour 
into crust. bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 min., until edge is set but center 
still moves slightly.

Topping: Combine sour cream, sugar and vanilla in med. bowl. Spread over surface of warm cheesecake. Bake for an additional 5 min. Cool on wire rack. Chill for 
several hours or overnight. Remove side of springform pan before serving.

Oops. Sorry about mis-spelling "recipe" on the topic. Since I already put in the recipe, maybe some other yummy deserts can be added in addition to this one. Don't be bashful. Cookies, cake, whatever...

Update: I made this today using two pre-made "natural" graham cracker pie crusts and two observations: The recipe as written is enough for three pies! So I actually had to use the recipe for graham cracker crust on the back of the graham crackers (organic) I bought. It's basically just 3 Tbs of Organic Butter and 3 Tbs. of maple syrup mixed in to the graham crackers after they've been put through the mixer. Then pack them on to a pie pan and an inch or so up the side. Then you bake the whole thing empty for 5 minutes at 350F. The second observation is that you'll have a good amount of pumpkin and evaporated milk left over from this recipe. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with those things. The wild birds may be the beneficiary to the pumpkin and the evaporated milk could be used for coffee or tea if that's your thing. Not mine, so it may end up in the septic system. But, in the end, that's where pretty much everything ends up. When I went to warm the cream cheese, I put it in a large mixing bowl and put that into another large pot filled about 1/3 of the way with water. I then heated that whole thing on the stove top. It melted beautifully.

In addition to the above recipe, I added a quarter teaspoon of ground ginger. Otherwise I followed it using organic ingredients except for the pumpkin and evaporated milk. I'll add to this again after I've tasted it. It's gonna be cooling now for a while.

Addendum:
After a couple days of thinking about what went wrong here's my observation: The taste is exquisite and well worth the one downfall of this batch. I didn't beat enough air into the mixture before baking and subsequently the pie ended up being low and dense instead of a couple inches high and fluffy. If anyone tries this recipe, add a quarter teaspoon of ground ginger if you've got some and be sure to beat the hell out of the batter before baking. I think the final result would be a real crowd pleaser if done properly.
Edited by Watermonkey (see edit history)