xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
truefusion

[GIMP] Simple Stroke Tutorial Better than Edit Stroke...

Simple Stroke Tutorial for the GIMP

Note: This tutorial works best with pixel fonts.

Intro

This tutorial is made to provide an alternative for Edit > Stroke, which does a not-so-good job when it comes to making strokes on curves (and on {certain} objects), as shown below:

Posted Image

Tutorial

In the main window (should be titled "The GIMP"), click on File > New (Ctrl+N): select whatever resolution you want.

Select the text tool (Posted Image) (make sure the text color is black) and click anywhere in the field, type in some text.

Duplicate the layer (Posted Image). Then click Filters > Colors > Value Invert.

Select the original layer and click Filters > Blur > Blur.

Duplicate the selected (blurred) layer twice.

Final

Posted Image

There you have it: simple, yet effective.

Double-note: This simple technique also works well with other objects (than using Edit > Stroke).

interesting indeed, basically removes the pixelation within the text, of course what happens when a person's text isn't that big? Thats what 28-30ish in font size? Because as the font size get bigger pixelation does come into play and as it gets smaller the pixelation clears up. But what about using anti-alias? I do believe gimp does have that built in?

interesting indeed, basically removes the pixelation within the text, of course [1]what happens when a person's text isn't that big? [2]Thats what 28-30ish in font size? Because as the font size get bigger pixelation does come into play and as it gets smaller the pixelation clears up. [3]But what about using anti-alias? I do believe gimp does have that built in?

[1]

Posted Image -- Pixel font, using this technique; 8px.

Posted Image -- Pixel font, Edit > Stroke Selection; 8px.

Posted Image -- Common font (Arial), using this technique; 11px.

Posted Image -- Common font (Arial), Edit > Stroke Selection; 11px.

[2]If memory serves me right, it was over 40-something pixels; maybe 50 pixels to be precise.

[3]That was with anti-alias applied. :lol:

It just gets worse, but find it funny on the first set that the stroke looked better, of course I cant tell the difference between the second group. At least I can say that font does not look good small :lol:.