xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
~Dave

Help With Images In Photoshop please :D

ok, so i have a picture we'll say... http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png that one, now i want to take the picture of just him and put it into a background of my own, i've seen this done before, would anyone know how i would do that, or could link me to a tut? any help would be nice :P thanks in advanced

by the way, i have Photoshop CS2 full and everything along with that image ready thing, please any ideas? :( thanks

~Dave

by the way, i have gone to bed it is 1:30 here in the morning so i will check back in about 8 hours, Thanks!!

Edit: if this is the wrong place for this please move it and pm me where it was sent so i dont lose it :(

Edited by ~Dave (see edit history)

To do that, you need to erase the background of the Mortal Kombat. It takes a lot of work as the image is pretty small but I am sure with patience you would be able to do it. You can make use of the following tools to cut your image out:

Magic Wand
Marquee Tool
Eraser
Background Eraser
Magic Eraser

For me, I have my own way of erasing a background.

I would use the marquee tool to erase the big portions of the background and for the minor details, I would use the eraser at 3 different opacities to erase them. 15%, 20% and 70% so that it would be smooth when I load the image onto a new canvas where I will do the new design.

But then again, it all depends on how you want to do it, there are many other ways to erase a background, it all depends on which way you are most comfortable with. I wish you luck. You can find more tutorials on how to do the following here: http://www.good-tutorials.com/ and http://www.pixel2life.com/

it would really help you if you have a larger copy of that image. :P if not, you can create an enlargement so you can have a bigger canvas you can work with. if you are not that familiar in enlarging images without much loss in quality, i affix herein something i came up with. :(

Posted Image

(click on thumbnail to enlarge)

then proceed in erasing the background as you wish. you can try darran's method above.

if you're interested in other techniques, you can google search for "photoshop masking tutorials". here is one involving masking out complex objects. you can find much simpler methods, or something which would apply to photoshop CS specifically, although i would suppose you can grasp and adapt the general idea of the technique for use in photoshop CS if ever the tutorial you found is for a much earlier version. :(

after you have finished erasing the background you want to eliminate, you can them simply resize the image to the size you want and add your own background in a separate layer. happy photo editing! :(