xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
truefusion

Template Design Done In The Gimp Just a tester template...

Got my HDD today and after installing Windows and all of its updates, i installed the GIMP and messed around with it. Decided to go with a template design, for i don't feel like going around downloading brushes right now. :P Anywho, it's nothing much, i just wanted to do a quicky. Oh how i wish the GIMP had more options for brushes and had the option to make group layers!

Posted Image

HiThat was a wellmade design, very stylish. What I wonder is if you could tell me some more about GIMP, and the differences between it and Photoshop or Fireworks? Right now I am using Fireworks when making web-designs, but I am allways on the look for something better. Thank you for reading this post.

Hi

That was a wellmade design, very stylish. What I wonder is if you could tell me some more about GIMP, and the differences between it and Photoshop or Fireworks? Right now I am using Fireworks when making web-designs, but I am allways on the look for something better. Thank you for reading this post.

Fireworks i don't have much knowledge on and i'm not really fond of it. Fireworks has its advanatages over the others, like simple special effects for objects, extra blending modes, hover effects for web page menus, it's vector-based (although you can export your work in raster formats), etc. It really is more for web design.

Photoshop is more for graphic/art design, but many web designers use it for graphics-heavy sites. Photoshop can imitate vector-like images, but only in high resolutions (usually over 600dpi; the higher the resolution, the bigger the filesize). You'll find plenty of options in Photoshop that you won't find in the GIMP and in Fireworks. You have a lot of tools to work with, some of which you'll find in the GIMP and in Fireworks. Photoshop is also used in the game industry. Most—if not all—of the designs in several RPG, FPS, etc games are done in Photoshop. Same goes for game-case covers.

The GIMP is basically a really trimmed down version of Photoshop—and i mean, really trimmed down. :P But you can still manage some pretty good designs in it. The main advantage of the GIMP over the other programs is that it is free. You can try it out yourself to get a better feel and understanding of the GIMP.

It's really a nice template, soft and calm, I experimented like for an hour with GIMP but for some weird reason I got frustrated, I will stay with Photoshop. :PI am currently making a layout in Photoshop too, for the first time, I hope it turns out good. :( It will be used for my site. I will post it when I am near done with it.