xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SamiFX

Vista & Xp

Hello;

I've bought a Windows Vista Ultimate and I want to install it on my PC, I'm using my WindowsXP but i don't want to erase it, I want to install Vista on a separated partition and using the two systems on the PC by selecting the operating system on the boot, is this available with Windows Vista or not?

Yes this is possible, and its quite easy, and even the installer does it for you. Just run the Setup of Vista from your XP desktop, not by booting with the DVD.Start up XP, then insert the disk, and then it will pop up a window with options that will give you the choice of Install the Operating System.Follow the steps, and when you are asked where to install Vista, you will see your available Hard Disk Drives, there you can make a new partition of your HDD with XP (what is real fast), and install vista there. Good luck with your new OS :P

thank you very much, I will try that .. I didn't even insert the Vista Disk on my drive cause my friend told me that you can not install another system with Windows Vista, But I will try and see ... thank you. :P

hello Friend,It is a easy job.First make a separate partition in which you want to instal the Windows Vista, by using any of the partition making software. Then simply run the Windows Vista setup for installation and follow up the required instructions. When it ask for the drive in which Windows Vista is to be instal, simply locate the drive you just made. And after completion its make a file thats boot.ini, from this you can set your default operating system.Enjoy..

Dudes, i didn't payed for vista!! but i have a legal copy...I downloaded the beta version and 2 weeks later i've dowloaded the patch.When i've installed the patch i was able to update and all the things you can do in the original version(ultimate!!).I downloaded the patch from the official microsoft website so it isn't a crack!!Lucky me :PWhen i turn on my pc i can chose witch one i want to use (Xp or vista)grtz, Styno

Edited by the ipc (see edit history)

Dudes, i didn't payed for vista!! but i have a legal copy...I downloaded the beta version and 2 weeks later i've dowloaded the patch.
When i've installed the patch i was able to update and all the things you can do in the original version(ultimate!!).
I downloaded the patch from the official microsoft website so it isn't a crack!!
Lucky me :P

When i turn on my pc i can chose witch one i want to use (Xp or vista)

grtz, Styno

you are using a trial version... just go to Control Panel then User Accounts .. you'll see countdown of the rest days of your use :(

Even though vista has more security as i've seen, i still would stick to windows xp for now and wait for a while untill it's pretty stable on all kinds of computers. I still feel the drivers part need to be improved because i've tried it and i had problems with my drivers both on my laptop and desktop. True that the design and the GUI is amazing and no doubt that it looks really cool, but thats not all that we want from and operating system that we use everyday. So still waiting for a good one to come through! :P cheers

Howdy,I've checked it and you guys are right, i only have 21 days of vista left :-/ I'm gonna buy it when my trial expires.On the tones.be you can buy an OEM version of the ultimate for 110? so that's what i'm gonna do :PI'm happy that i know taht it was just a trial periode, i know myself that i would bring my pcp to a reparation shop when the traail woulb be over becous i would think that my pc is broke, the 100? i would spend on the reparation will be my vista :(:(Greetz (specialy to all females;-) i'm available....)StYn0!

You change the location of the system directory of the new operating system, in your case Vista to a new location. I'll strongly recommend to use a separate partition as a new location for the second operating system.