xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
krtbs

Build A Solar Ipod Charger

Build a solar iPod charger

I looked everywhere for a lightweight solar iPod charger. Nothing fancy, just something I could attach to the top of my backpack. I couldnât find one anywhere, I couldnât even find instructions on how to build one. So, I set about building one for myself. As this was all about getting very light materials, this set-up is very simple but the charger has no protection from branches, rain, or marmots. Also, understand that I am not an engineer. I have attempted to safely mimmic the power from a USB connections. Namely, 5VDC and less than 500mA. But, this could destroy your iPod, create a rift in space-time or bring about the end of the world. Itâs your call, baby. Iâm just saying this is how I did it.

Device details:

Solar iPod charger

approx. 2.5 oz.

150mA@5VDC

Materials:

From Mouser Electronics:

1) Part# 806-KUSBLX-SMTAS1NB, Kycon USB-A female connector.

2) Part# 511-L78M05CV, ST Voltage Regulator, 5.0V 0.5A.

From Sundance Solar:

3) Part# 700-50061-00, âPowerFilmâ flexible Solar Panel, Model# MPT6-150, 6V,100mA.

From various sources:

4) 20 gauge wires, approx 12â long.

5) velcro strip, 1â X 4â.

6) silicone sealant, five minute epoxy or super glue.

7) packing tape.

8) A wee-bit of double-sided tape.

9) solder and flux.

10) exceptionally good coffee.

11) schematics.

Tools:

1) soldering iron.2) wire strippers.

3) multi-meter.

4) scissors.

The process:

1) I assemble all my stuff:

2) I sip on some exceptionally good JohnnyZu⢠coffee.

3) I solder the leads onto the front of the solar panel and wrap them around to the back of the panel. Then I trimmed and tinned all my leads.

4) I attached the two sided tape to the back of the solar panel, stuck on the USB-A connector and voltage regulator and soldered the wiring, using the handy little guide.

5) Then, I attached the multimeter leads to the back of the USB-A connector to ensure my polarity is correct. Simple, huh?

6) After, I sipped more exceptionally good JohnnyZu⢠coffee and double checked everything to make sure it is correct.

7) I use the packing tape to secure the wiring that runs from the front side of the panel and wrap the tape around to the front side to insulate the solder spots. Super glue, caulk (careful, itâs heavy), packing tape or five minute epoxy can be used to secure the assembly to the back of the solar panel and to insulate the electrical leads.

After building a few of these, I think I prefer to use epoxy to insulate the electrical components and packing tape to cover the whole assembly semi- smoothly. But, I am still refining this part.

8) After the construction is complete, I lightly sand the back of the panel and attach Velcro in order to secure it to my backpack.

Thats it. Then I went backpacking.

if youâve already realized that your iPod will be worthless in a couple of years anyways, youâve got nothing to lose. Iâm keeping my Nano until the sub-dermal 90Gig direct-to-brain model comes out in 2008

solarcharger.jpg

imageEffectsAbove_ipod-info.png

solar_iPod_charger---3.jpg

P9260010.jpg

P9260017.jpg

Notice from jlhaslip:

Copied from one of these links?

Couldn't you just fully charge you Ipod before you go outside, I mean those things go on for like four hours!

they are supposed to last for at least 8 hours. if yours only lasts for 4, it wasnt treated correctly...

Its cool are u an electronic engeineer? :lol: can u please tell me whats the output and can it be manipulated to work as nokia battery charger,what is the cost of making it at home and other details.
:D Really Its a nice work.
Edited by sourabhj (see edit history)