xisto Community
MIGUE2k7

Windows Anti-pirating System, A Waste Of Time? It seems to be worthless...

I just read this article:

All the effort Microsoft has put into making sure this Windows would be the most secure ever appears to be somewhat in vain. Iranian hackers, operating through a legitimate software firm, have gotten past all of Microsoft's "anti-copying tricks". These hackers claim they will sell these illegitimate copies of Windows Vista through the firm they work for at approximately $8 USD a copy. What's really interesting, though, is how they managed to give each pirated copy of Vista its own serial number, so that they can register it through Microsoft as a legal copy of Windows Vista.

https://www.techpowerup.com/?24974

Microsoft said they were going to implement the new protection system Windows Software Protection Platform (WSPP) instead of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) as in XP.
Its impressive how fast Vista was hacked, i think it was faster than XP. Vista was aiming to prevent things like this, so, all the efforts Microsoft is doing are just a waste of time and maybe of money.

Being honestly, i got a pirate copy of Vista when it was only 2 weeks of being released. I could use it perfectly because it hacks the activation process for skip it, but it didnt let me use the new Windows Aero interface, what looked great, and definitely, the most atractive feature of Vista, so i just came back to XP until i get a original copy.
But now they say the new pirate copies of vista are 100% working with all the features, including Aero, so people in Mexico are definitely not going to pay about $200 dollars or more for a OS that is already there by only $8 dollars.

Do you think it would be better for Microsoft to lower their prices to a porper level for non-world powers nations would prevent people from acquiring pirate copies of their products? I personally think yes.
Edited by MIGUE2k7 (see edit history)

I just read this article:https://www.techpowerup.com/?24974

Microsoft said they were going to implement the new protection system Windows Software Protection Platform (WSPP) instead of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) as in XP.
Its impressive how fast Vista was hacked, i think it was faster than XP. Vista was aiming to prevent things like this, so, all the efforts Microsoft is doing are just a waste of time and maybe of money.

Being honestly, i got a pirate copy of Vista when it was only 2 weeks of being released. I could use it perfectly because it hacks the activation process for skip it, but it didnt let me use the new Windows Aero interface, what looked great, and definitely, the most atractive feature of Vista, so i just came back to XP until i get a original copy.
But now they say the new pirate copies of vista are 100% working with all the features, including Aero, so people in Mexico are definitely not going to pay about $200 dollars or more for a OS that is already there by only $8 dollars.

Do you think it would be better for Microsoft to lower their prices to a porper level for non-world powers nations would prevent people from acquiring pirate copies of their products? I personally think yes.

Well, everyone knew that Vista will one day get pirated successfully but the best thing is, it was so fast! It's a HUGE blow to Bill's *bottom* to be honest.

And this is not the only one, I heard about a patch that will stop the clock so you can us the full-featured evaluation pack for unlimited time. And there are a bunch of others too, I will have to wait till like 3 months more until more efficient cracks come out and I get a new PC which will run Windows Vista well, but I won't really mind if I won't ever get Vista, I'm shifting to Linux anyways after my boards as I will have ample of time and then I might just keep Vista for gaming and graphics, I know Photoshop CS2 can be run on Ubuntu but still. ;)

But if you go to think over the 8$ price tag? Where do you think the 8$ will go? Nuclear enrichment?!?

I am not trying to generalize here and I am not blaming them of anything as of yet as to be honest I have no proof as to what I am saying is correct but I am just trying to bring out a point.

I live in a country where you can get Windows XP, for 0.50 American dollars, and PC games, like WoW for free, and now windows vista costs 2$ fully cracked with all features. You can get about any CD or DVD here for less than 5$, we don't just sell PC Games or softwares, but we do sell Music CDs all unlegalized, and CDs containing PHP scripts, for example I bought a 0.70$ CD that has 1000 of the most complex PHP scripts in the world. But that is really stealing other work, and effort and time.
Microsoft has the right to keep it 200$ for a Vista DVD, they put lots of effort to make this work. Plus I think, in my opinion, that it is a shame for someone to buy illegal CDs.

But if you go to think over the 8$ price tag? Where do you think the 8$ will go? Nuclear enrichment?!?

Even if they invested in Nuclear Enrichment, they have the right to do this just like any other countries in the world, or do you think that Americans or Europeans are better than a certain group? We are all humans.Anyway let's not get far from the topic here, money that we get by selling illegal copies of Vista or anything else, is something you got by stealing, if it was used for Nuclear Activities or to save humans, it is still Illegal and considered worst than stealing.

Even if they invested in Nuclear Enrichment, they have the right to do this just like any other countries in the world, or do you think that Americans or Europeans are better than a certain group? We are all humans.Anyway let's not get far from the topic here, money that we get by selling illegal copies of Vista or anything else, is something you got by stealing, if it was used for Nuclear Activities or to save humans, it is still Illegal and considered worst than stealing.

I was not talking about Nuclear Enrichment for development of human beings, it was the other way, we all know that countries like Iran are all ruled by terrorists and not the governments, I won't elaborate on it more. You get what I mean to say?

I was not talking about Nuclear Enrichment for development of human beings, it was the other way, we all know that countries like Iran are all ruled by terrorists and not the governments, I won't elaborate on it more. You get what I mean to say?

That's the most retarded thing I have heard. Offence meant. If Iran is as bad as YOU say it is, they wouldn't be bothered wasting their time on a crap OS in the first place. Nobody needs it.
I am extrememly surprised that people consider Vista being cracked so soon a surprise. It happened to every Windows OS I can remember, and that is more than XP and Vista, seemingly unlike some posters here. I honestly wish people would educate themselves on subjects before starting random threads.

OK, first of all, what the hell did that mean? I presume it is supposed to say something like:
Do you think that Microsoft lowering their prices to a proper level for non world-raping nations would prevent people from aquiring pirate copies of their products?

I would say no, it wouldn't. Simply because half the people who get the 'illegal' copy (illegal in the 'Almighty and extremely democratic Country of North America', that is) don't use it for using the system. Most people who are computer literate enough to get hold of an cracked copy are intelligent enough to recognise the fact that Vista is a complete waste of time. They just want to play with it (did you know that XP can be cut down to 50mb and have almost FULL functionality?). And the fact that they are doing so illegally just makes it all the more fun. So making Vista cheap won't change anything, unless it also goes free and open source. Will that ever happen?

Now, take linux. Most linux distrobutions have a computer literate communtity surrounding them, making the distro better and better. Can anyone say that about Vista? Vista is kept to the few developers who work on it - not thousands of users from all over the world. Now, computer illeterate as you appear to be, you may say "yeah, but Linux is maintained by illegal hackers from terrorist countries". That's nice. I won't prick your bubble of innocence, and hope to hell that you don't ever gain power over a living creature at any point in your lives. Remeber, if anybody does, through some absurd loophole, remember that you have to feed it.

Sincerely
A non-u.s. citisen, and glad not to be so.

Sorry to say this but you are a victim, of TV, and every political commercial in India. You are blinded by them. I am not accusing you of something that most people believe in. But I am justing clearing the idea that not every Iranian is a terrorist. Iranian hackers are not terrorist, they are thief's who steal thinks. So as you said that the government is controlled by Terrorists, and all the people is somehow Like those terrorists so much. "We" is that includes all human on earth, if so I disagree with you. Let's not push it off the topic.

Ok, im going to discuss with you about this ;)

I am extrememly surprised that people consider Vista being cracked so soon a surprise. It happened to every Windows OS I can remember, and that is more than XP and Vista, seemingly unlike some posters here. I honestly wish people would educate themselves on subjects before starting random threads.

But the thing i say is that, Microsoft asured this one would be harder to crack due to the big efforts they did on their new security system, but it got hacked on a week, thats a shame. What im meaning, Microsoft should not waste their time working on anti pirating systems. And i did ''educate'' myself before starting this thread, im just asking for opinions.

OK, first of all, what the hell did that mean? I presume it is supposed to say something like:Do you think that Microsoft lowering their prices to a proper level for non world-raping nations would prevent people from aquiring pirate copies of their products?

Oops, yes i didnt check that sentence ;) (english is not my first language) but what i tried to meant is this:
Microsoft lowering their prices to a proper level for non-world powers nations (i mean, like USA or England, having the best economy, etc.) would prevent people from those nations (the non-world power ones) from acquiring illegal copies of their products. These products seem to be real expensive in other countries, exactly, thats why the Piracy was born, people want the same but for a price they can afford.

I would say no, it wouldn't. Simply because half the people who get the 'illegal' copy (illegal in the 'Almighty and extremely democratic Country of North America', that is) don't use it for using the system. Most people who are computer literate enough to get hold of an cracked copy are intelligent enough to recognise the fact that Vista is a complete waste of time. They just want to play with it (did you know that XP can be cut down to 50mb and have almost FULL functionality?). And the fact that they are doing so illegally just makes it all the more fun. So making Vista cheap won't change anything, unless it also goes free and open source. Will that ever happen?

Sorry but i dont think everyone thinks Vista is a total waste of time. Is just a new OS, just like when XP was released. And maybe (not saying ''sure'') XP users may have to move to Vista someday, even if they don want, if XP support is terminated early.Always in this kind of topics, relating to windows os, someone must start talking about their open source competition, Linux, and how better is it, but not everyone thinks same as you, there are a lot of people in the world that prefer Windows, but cant afford it sometimes, and they may not like Linux like for move to it, so dont start talking about the OS that in your opinion is better.
I may switch to linux but only when it is fully supported by the most common applications and games, but for now, users of certain programs like Photoshop must deal with Windows.

And do you think that those $200 to Gates wont go in nuclear enrichment?