xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcreuter

Laptop Or Desktop?

wich do u have?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Most people would disagree with me, but i dont care. I like desktops better. Let me tell you why.... desktops are relatively cheaper than laptops (a known fact) They usually are better equipded, and i dont know why I just liek them. Its betetr than laptops for sure. I never go on any bussiness trips or what not so i never need to take a laptop. Waste of money compared to what desktops cost. Alost internet signals are better on desktops...

its the same for me here, like i said, i do have a laptop, but i really only use it when im not at home, besides, desktop computers last longer, much longer than laptop pc's do...lol, so im with u on this one ;)

i havelaptop, I have my old one thats probaly 9 ;);) years old now and an old Gateway with windows 98 on it. Use that up until about November of last year when I got my new Dell desktop which is much better then it, which I'm sure all of y'all could guess, lol. I could have got a laptop but I wouldn't have much use for a laptop and just prefer having a desktop

Well it depends what are you doing with your computer. But I have both and I am currently using more my laptop then desktop. However I am considering to buy new one just haven't decided what to buy as I need computer for server and laptops have some advantage over desktops.

At the moment I currently have just a desktop but soon I should get a laptop. Which is better really depends on your needs. If you're a gamer the desktop is a more ideal choice, especially due to the ease of upgrading. Many laptops have a lot of issues with upgrading, heat up quickly and aren't always the best when it comes to performance. On the other hand, if you are on the move a lot, whether you are a businessman or even a student it can be very convenient to have a laptop, actually necessary for most cases. The pros very quickly outweigh the cons and if you are willing to shell out a considerable amount of cash you could get a laptop that might make you forget the pros of a desktop altogether. It can't be said enough that laptops are like a little revolution. Mobility and convenience in todays modern world is priceless. I can't say which is better outright though. Maybe like I said it just depends on the user.

I have both my desktop is older with windows xp and my laptop is newer with vista.My desktop was fine but i wanted something better for the go. So i wnt and got a vista laptop - it's nice

Desktops are the best. You don't have to keeps you arms together all the time with a desktop because it doesn't have an integrated mouse right under your keyboard. Also the mouse itself on a laptop is bad. It is far easier to control anything on a desktop mouse. One final argument for desktops, they are far easier to upgrade. For a laptop, unless you're really good with a computers you'd have to take your laptop to a store and get it upgraded. Really with enough determination any idiot can upgrade the hardware in their computer. Especially with how they're building desktop cases these day makes it even simpler. I'd have to say this is my biggest problem with a laptop. By the way, I own a desktop. ^^'

Edited by Mago (see edit history)

I have a desktop and 2 laptops; each have their pros and cons.

Desktop:
+ more robust (ie HDD Space, vid cards)
+ easier to customize (hardware)
+ easier to replace hardware
+ customizable prices
- big and heavy
- use more power
- generally noisier

Laptop:
+ small and portable
+ no peripherals needed
+ runs on battery
- less robust (ie HDD space, vid cards)
- more background processes
- more expensive

My Desktop is a self built AMD 2400+ 512MB RAM and loads of HDD space
My first laptop is an IBM T41 with 768MB RAM and a 40GB HDD
My thirs laptop (I got off craigslist for $700) is an IBM T43p with 1GB RAM and a 80GB HDD.
Along with my computers I invested in a $100 Wacom tablet; worth every penny.

I didn't mention a certain CON of latops; hardware compatibility with linux.
If you are trying to run linux on a laptop check out this site: http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

It depends on your mobility. For a user like me, a desktop is quite sufficient. At a cheap price I can get whatever I need. I am not very mobile requiring large amounts of travel. For me desktop is definitely preferred.

Well for me I bought my T41 for university; not only was it better for taking notes, but I had long days (8am - 7pm) with large gaps. The laptop saved my sanity.

hmm wel i have a laptop only. for my school work but when i'm done school i plan to get a desktop because my gaming and stuf takes alot of processor speed, ram and a good grafics card which are very hard to come by on a laptop so i have an almost new (since black friday) compaq laptop which is not good for much gaming but its alright. the only thing that really gets me about this computer is the video card (radeon 200m) it is a piece of crap it can barely run any fps games. and if it does its very slow. and a friend has a old dell with a p4 and it runs most games great. not sure what to do but i want a desktop partly because i can just upgrade the video card rather than just buyin a new comp. i find a desktop better. idk

...the only thing that really gets me about this computer is the video card (radeon 200m) it is a piece of crap it can barely run any fps games. and if it does its very slow. and a friend has a old dell with a p4 and it runs most games great. not sure what to do but i want a desktop partly because i can just upgrade the video card rather than just buyin a new comp. i find a desktop better. idk

With laptops you can't go by pure numbers; it's all about chemistry, or maybe a better word is synchronicity. It is possible for a slightly lower spec'ed machine to outperform the other if it's components work well together. There's not much you can do but you can always try upgrading the drivers for graphics card.

I would say it depends for what do you need your machine and that is the main thing. Also I am currently using laptop but I think to buy new computer and connect several monitor to it that would just be great and by that I could do much more things in better way. I cannot wait it will be just amazing like in some hacker movies :)

I've got a laptop and a desktop pc, i prefer desktop pc's since they tend to be faster, have a larger storage capacity and cheaper.My desktop pc right now is out-of-order since the graphics card on the motherboard is broke, now i have to buy a PCI graphics card in order to get it working again.