xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zues

Boinc - Donate Your Excess Cpu Calculations For Science [fixed name in Topic title]

I leave my computer on all the time and it just sits there useless. I figured it could be used for something good and found boinc, where you can have your cpu calculate for different science projects when you're not doing anything on it. It can search for extraterrestrial intelligence, help decode genomes, help map out the most efficient way to prevent malaria or many others. Try it out and help the world without any effort, what easier way to give yourself that warm fuzzy feeling. I've already gotten 881 blocks processed for Seti and still working at finding aliens.

You can start helping the world here http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

The Name is different in the Title and the link, so which one is correct?Attention to details such as this are important with computers and the Internet. I am not going to click that link until you confrim it. I already have two computers in boxes from Virii and Trojans, I don't need another.

The Name is different in the Title and the link, so which one is correct?
Attention to details such as this are important with computers and the Internet. I am not going to click that link until you confrim it. I already have two computers in boxes from Virii and Trojans, I don't need another.

Sorry about the mistake, I don't know how to edit tittle, but it's Boinc. I didn't even notice until now, I always called it bonic, it makes me feel dumb. It's pretty big so you can search on google to find information on it easily. You download packets usually about half a megabyte big, then let your computer run algorithms to help whatever project you do and then your computer sends those packets back. All it does is run in the background when you don't use your computer, helping out others with no effort on your part.

Okay, thanks for that info... I fixed the title.If you select to 'edit' the first post of the Topic which you start, the Topic Title and description should be available for editting. At least the Mod's have the ability to edit them at that time, so in case it doesn't work that way for you, simply use the report button to send a message to the Mod crew and one of us will fix it for you, no problem. It was not that long ago that there was no edit feature for the members, so we got used to having to fix stuff for typos, etc. ;) I kinda miss the olden days (yea, right!)

I joined the Coast to Coast AM (George Noory) team when I got my new Mac and now I'm the top member. Of course, there are only five members, but I thought I got there fairly quick. I'm number crunching for SETI and Einstein right now. I think it's cool if you can donate your electricity to a worthwhile cause. I haven't seen my electric bill since I began doing it, so I don't know how much it's actually costing me, but it's not free. Something to consider... My team can be found here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/