xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SamiFX

The Best Sli Installation

I've been thinking about getting two Nvidia cards and putting them into SLI, because the new mobo I'm getting is SLI compatible, and it'd be kind of pointless if I'm using my Radeon x800. So, I was wondering, What would be a good budget card to put in SLI for a total of $300 or less? That would be for both cards. thanks

For that price range I would recommend a pair of Geforce 7600GT's. 2 cards would put you at about 300 bucks. They aren't too bad either, its a pretty good value. I dont know how they would perform in SLI though. The 7600GT is more of a card that people use by itself, not so much for SLI. If i was you I would spend about $250-275 bucks on a 7950GT then add another card later to give youself and SLI setup. The 7950GT has an available 512MB of memory and much faster clock speeds. Something definately looking into. For a future system, I feel the 7950GT would suit you much better than a pair of 7600GT's. Just go with one 7950GT and another in a few months or so to get your SLI setup.

I definately agree with the statement that Nvidia has more motherboards supporting SLI, but as far as ATI being better, that is more personal preference. Its pretty much like the Intel vs. AMD thing. Sometimes AMD will be better, sometimes Intel will be better. Its all about what are you used to, and which can you get a better deal for.

I would say 7600GT's from EVGA or 7600GS's from Leadtek, ASUS would outperform your X800 in 2 times with no worries. Another concern though, as I mentioned in one of my threads, they will be consuming a fair amount of power, meaning you'll need an at least 500w power supply. And when I say 500watt of a quality one, not some $20 bucks power supply giving an effective output of 300 watts.