xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy

Can You Have Water In A Vacuum A very annoying mini debate

Can you have water in a vacuum?  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is, I believe, evidence that the far side (the Dark Side) of the Moon is splashed with water and there's speculation that this water came from Mars. I believe that some meteorites have also been found to contain traces of water. And how did those things get from A to Z? They traveled through inter-solar space, a near vacuum.

There is, I believe, evidence that the far side (the Dark Side) of the Moon is splashed with water and there's speculation that this water came from Mars. I believe that some meteorites have also been found to contain traces of water. And how did those things get from A to Z? They traveled through inter-solar space, a near vacuum.

Ah yes! a good point... you are right that meteorites contain traces of water, in fact most do as an ice formation. This is what forms the tail that you can see behind the comets;
but as you rightly worded it space is not a complete vacuum, another things is that this is not liquid state "water".
good point, but not what I was looking for.

And ben. Nice to see you alive and hosted.
Unfortunately as it is I have to say you may be right its without air, although I'm not sure as plenty of dictionary definitions say things like

(Physics) A space entirely devoid of matter (called also, by way of distinction, absolute vacuum);

but luckily for me, space without air is what I was going on all along anyway, I just worded it wrong. Sorry to put a wrecking ball into your point!!! (N.B. Where did I say a vacuum is without matter anyway???)
Keep your shiny red rudolf nose away unless your agreeing with my side!

An interesting read, kindof on topic, but interesting nevertheless
http://www.npl.co.uk/category/2095
Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)