xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Webber

Is It Possible To Teach Yourself Martial Arts a newly updated article.

Ok so I posted a fairly similiar article a little while ago, but I have somewhat altered my opinion since... :It's something that is often considered by many when they reach a point during their training when the going gets tough. Although in theory the principle works, the logic doesn't. It depends entirely on how much you intend to teach yourself. I am a strong believer that martial arts and boxing should be developed from your own training outside of your dojo, and I believe strongly that once you have achieved a certain level of skill in martial arts, you can actually develope your skills - notice how I use the word develope. The key point is that you must have some foundation to build from. If you work on what you know, and perhaps build up a strong vocabulary of martial arts teachniques, experience and combinations then there is no reason why you can't, in theory teach yourself to fight to a better standard than that of which you currently fight of. It is when you consider fighting from scratch that you face problems. It's like building a house. If you start building on sand or mud, it's not going to be long before you foundation sinks and eventually your house collapses. If your not careful, even a skilled martial artist can end up reuining their skills. Remember that all that you learn during training at a formal discipline (such as Karate) has been engineered and passed down through the generations - it works. It's very easy to train yourself to do what we like to call ' fancy fighting '. By that, we mean a style that simply does not work, it looks good, and it may looks as if it'd do you good, but in reality it does not work because the basic techniques, principles and foundations that are key to success are not present. So to answer the question at all, we need to develope the question it's self. The question is it possible to teach yourself martial arts from scractch to a good, strong level? No. You can't teach yourself a style from nothing - however it has been known for people imprisoned or stranded to teach themselves to fight quite brutaly through purely hard, real fight training, however in our normal society there just isn't oppurtunity for this type of hardship and training. However - if we change the question to is it possible to teach yourself a new style - your style, providing you have a good understanding of atleast one art, and have good technique and strong foundation? Ofcourse. I personally would encourage anybody to try their own style. There will be a style of fighting, perhaps already discovered, perhaps your very own style that will fit you perfectly. I found this out when a couple of years ago I wasn't fully satisfyed with my Karate training, and so I began to train myself in what would turn out to be freestyle. It'll motivate you to train, and if done correctly it should make you a very strong martial artist. However, with this I will make one point very clear. Please do be careful with the way in which you train yourself. It's important to make sure youre not making the common mistake of self teaching rubbish. Make sure what your learning works by entering competitions on a regular basis, or sparring against another experienced artist. If done correctly, it can be very benificial, but the key question is that it's possible to teach yourself martial arts. It's not in my opinion possible to teach yourself something to a good level without profeshional aid. Even if you get the moves right, the foundation to it and the technique within will be weak and most probably not all that good. My profeshional advise - by all means if you know what your doing then give it a try, and it may be possible to teach yourself a general defence mechacnism, or freestyle variation - but traditional martial art - well, I'd have to say no, it's not.

I had started to learn Tai Kwon Do, and I only done about 6 lessons. I found it very hard to learn, as the pace fo the lessons where to slow. As it was a class of 10-15 with new people each day. Our trainer was very experienced, but he had to keep going back to teach the new people what we had already learnt. So in the end I gave up Tai Kwon Do. And went for a more peaceful art of combat, Tai Chi. I thought myself from a book. I learnt alot of the moves, at my own pace. I really changed my life, I became alot more peaceful.So I suggest, just like you. That you won't be able to teach yourself, it is always best to see somone who has completed a Martial Arts, and to base your training on them.

I guess it's possible, but you have to base your learning method from somewhere else, because if you already knew it you wouldn't be trying to learn it would you? Also, it would be helpful to have input from peers, because you might picture yourself as Bruce Lee while your friend fears his cat more than you.

"It's not in my opinion possible to teach yourself something to a good level without profeshional aid. Even if you get the moves right, the foundation to it and the technique within will be weak and most probably not all that good."I agree with you.I believe that you can't. Obviously someone has to teach you the basics of a style first before you can even begin to learn the actual and proper way of a type of martial arts. I tried learning it myself. Turns out that theres a lot of things that you're doing wrong. Your foundation and basic knowledge of the skill cannot simply be taken half assed. The masters will guide you through and you'll learn pretty quick. "It's something that is often considered by many when they reach a point during their training when the going gets tough. Although in theory the principle works, the logic doesn't. It depends entirely on how much you intend to teach yourself.I am a strong believer that martial arts and boxing should be developed from your own training outside of your dojo, and I believe strongly that once you have achieved a certain level of skill in martial arts, you can actually develope your skills - notice how I use the word develope."I've taken tae kwon do or whatever when I was ...five? I learned pretty fast, but then I also dropped out of the class because there were simply too many new people, like Forbez said. I ended up taking private lessons up until the point where I can take down someone pretty quick. Took me two years or so. Therefore, get in a private class or something."I personally would encourage anybody to try their own style. There will be a style of fighting, perhaps already discovered, perhaps your very own style that will fit you perfectly."Also, I've always been wanting to learn Armizare, to disarm and disable. But I can't even find it on google or anywhere that teaches this.What I've always wondered is...whats the point of Tai Chi? You move WAY too slow to fight, maybe there is an art to parrying and 'absorbing' people's strength and using it back on them, but how can you even hope to accomplish that if you're moving slower than, say a...speedy turtle, to say the least.I don't mean to bash anyone that's taking tai chi, but that's my two cents, my views. I respect everyone's opinion and their actions."Remember that all that you learn during training at a formal discipline (such as Karate) has been engineered and passed down through the generations - it works. It's very easy to train yourself to do what we like to call ' fancy fighting '. By that, we mean a style that simply does not work, it looks good, and it may looks as if it'd do you good, but in reality it does not work because the basic techniques, principles and foundations that are key to success are not present. "Yup, which is why following a master or a teacher would be best. The skills have been perfected through countless generations, and is obviously effective (a bit contradicting to my opinion on tai chi...)"However - if we change the question to is it possible to teach yourself a new style - your style, providing you have a good understanding of atleast one art, and have good technique and strong foundation? Ofcourse. "Like all skills, of course you can. Once you have gotten your foundation, you can adjust everything to your own personal preferences, whether it be more effective, strong, or whatever.

Edited by WhoT (see edit history)

I'm sure its perfectly possible however it would be alot easier to learn with somebody else who want to learn. That way you will pick up techniques faster and you will improve alot more quickly. However if you do want to learn youself then i guess its perfectly possible if you practise and get a book of tips or look on the internet.

i had learnt many martial art in my life, such karate, tae kwon do, pencak silat (malayan's fighting art), and last is ai ki do. there's same way of think. i'm sure you can do by yourself, and learn something on there. but, the focus when you learn martial art is when you get stronger.... how do you keep yourself low profile as well as when before you learn it. focus to your mind and your expression will make you better. of course, power with no focus, who can controls it?

i had learnt many martial art in my life, such karate, tae kwon do, pencak silat (malayan's fighting art), and last is ai ki do. there's same way of think. i'm sure you can do by yourself, and learn something on there. but, the focus when you learn martial art is when you get stronger.... how do you keep yourself low profile as well as when before you learn it. focus to your mind and your expression will make you better. of course, power with no focus, who can controls it?

try to know your power by knowing yourself.. :P