xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Winzip 10 Vunerability/update To Winzip 11

Although this is a month old and most likely people have already done this, but for those who who use winzip their is a somewhat major vulnerability with WINZIP in which they patched it with build 7245.

http://www.winzip.com/wz7245.htm

This vulnerability could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on a system with an unpatched installation of WinZip 10.0 if the user was to visit a malicious web page. While there are no known exploits as of this announcement, WinZip 10.0 users are strongly urged to update to build 7245, due to the critical nature of the vulnerability.

Of course by now Winzip 11 has come out and fixed this so it would be wise to download winzip 11 for any security updates that might have been done to winzip with in the month of this build and Winzip 11.

Wow that's great, I recently made a post on the Vulnerability in Winzip 10. Thats very glad to hear a next stable update is released for winzip.Can we update from Winzip 10 to WinZip 11 without needing to purchase a new license, that is by using the Licence of Winzip 10.

you have to repurchase a license but at 50% off. Of course I don't really see the need to purchase winzip since it's major flaw is that it is free for the most part except for that long load up screen.

Well was it ridiculous that someone would take a whistle blow it in a pay phone and get free long distance? You be surprised. it doesn't take popular software to crack a computer you just need to find the right spot and their you go a computer just been hacked.

This really doesn't bother me much. I use WinRAR for all of my archiving needs. This might sound like a very stupid question to ask, but is WinRAR also vulnerable to this exploit? :|

I doubt it they may work the same way but most likely the programming is different and just went to their site and didn't see anything about a security update of any sorts.

Everyone, there is a free archiving/decompression program that is called ZipGenius. I am NOT vulnerable to any known security threats with ZipGenius because there aren't any yet.It is a bit over 5 MB and has a very easy-to-use and powerful user interface. Also, it acts like WinZip and WinRAR combined. It has many features (at least good enough for my needs). Try it today!

I don't really like Winzip since it doesn't support RAR files. However, I really don't understand how they "license" the winzip if you can use it for an unlimited amount of time. Actually a lot of these zipping software can be used for unlimited amount of time... I used PowerArchiver for over 400 days and it didn't expire yet...

See this document"The most famous of compression utilities boasts some new tricks but forces you to pay extra for certain advanced features.When you create an archive, WinZip 11 now offers an option to let WinZip pick the best compression method for each file. The result is a significantly smaller archive. For instance, .wav files, which lose only about 14 percent of their size with traditional .zip compression, shrink to just over half their original size with Best Method on. Only WinZip 10 or 11, however, can extract files from the resulting archive--which could be confusing, as such archives continue to use the .zip extension for their improved-but-incompatible files. To WinZip's credit, the program warns you about the incompatibility. And the company has posted the technical specifications for these changes so that other compression vendors can eventually make their programs compatible. Other improvements create no compatibility issues. The best of these include thumbnail views of pictures inside an archive, presented in a window that looks more like Windows Explorer with every update; and the ability to extract from .bz2 and .rar files. You're still able to create split-volume archives (a ZIP archive split into multiple files of user-definable size). It feels like WinZip International isn't all that interested in this standard $30 (as of 12/6/06) version of WinZip that I looked at. They'd rather sell you the $50 (as of 12/6/06) WinZip Pro. Even features that were once available to every WinZip user, like command-line support, are now Pro exclusives. WinZip Pro 11 gives you not only thumbnails, but a full image viewer. It also now lets you zip directly to CD, DVD, and FTP, and automate your backups. "thanks.