xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
fallenfirebanshi

Time Management

This is a fairly dumb question, but... I went through high school and CEGEP with the general attitude that "time management is for losers", did what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it, etc. Yay. (I got stuff done based on either "I feel like doing homework now" or "Holy crap, it's due tomorrow" or, well, just not doing it, depending. Managed to do well enough (to get into any reasonable university), so I was happy. Now, I just realised that if I keep on doing this (having started university two weeks ago), I'll be completely screwed within a fairly short amount of time. Sooo... time management tips anyone? So far I've come up with "actually getting stuff done during my breaks" instead of "wasting 5 hours a day sitting in the math lounge chatting"... and "making use of libraries to study", and "setting aside time to do assignments", but I'm still a little baffled.Ideas?

Time management includes tools or techniques for planning and scheduling time, usually with the aim to increase the effectiveness and/or efficiency of personal and corporate time use. These are embodied in a number of books, seminars and courses, which may offer conflicting advice. The common denominators of these strategies are a to-do-list, setting priorities and goal management. Some of the best known examples of time management strategies are tied to specific lines of time management products. Time management for personal use is a type of self-management. In a corporate setting, time management software can satisfy the need to control employees, make it easier to coordinate work and increases accountability of individual employees.

Honestly I'm extremely surprised everything went so quiet smooth for you in your studying career, many people suffer failures and extra money paid for repeated courses simply because they can't manage their time wisely and get everything done in time. Especially as an example, I'm currently at university doing my bachelor of Computer Engineering, and I can say that if I did homework only when I felt like it or never planned my time, I would not get through the first couple of months of university. Its a huge pressure and drastic switch from highschool.

I sometimes have trouble managing my time...even now. Kinda makes me wonder how I got through university. I mean I worked hard and such, but looking back I keep on thinking that things might have been smoother if I had organized my time better. My worst case example would be the "all-nighter" essays I used to do frequently. I guess at the time I thought, "I work best under pressure" (or is that "I work ONLY under pressure"). Anyway...my advice would be to make a list of things you have to do for the semester (not just for the month)...better yet, put them on a calendar and highlight it so that you 'll never forget when an assignment/essay/project is due.

Well, beacuse things went easy for you ....doesn't mean its going to be the same dfor others.Time Mangement is certainly for winners and not looser anyday, it is an art.It s about being pro active and responsible to oneself and his/her actions.Time Mangement has fout important steps in distinguishing the tasks or activites you carry out.a)UnImportant Activityb)Important but Not Urgentc)Importan Activityd)Important but Urgent I have arranged them in ascendin order of priority.Try this..it can help.All the best.

Thanks guys, although its not my post I would like to thank you for your tips. I always feel like I dont have time, and I do try to schedule or plan what I am going to do, kind of like making a schedule, but its not good enough. I never though of it as an art. Im going to try those steps.