xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dez Ironer

Free Web Hosts There are so few free hosts that let you setup mailing lists

I need to vent about the frustration in trying to find a free web host that meets my requirements.I'm trying to setup a website with a mailing list and am finding it impossible to find a host who will accommodate this.I like the sound of this site, but because I have to post a whole lot before I can even sign up - I have to wait before I can even test if I can set up a reliable mailing list here. I've found a really good mailing list program written in PHP called poMMo - but it requires recent versions of PHP and mySQL as well as sendmail or the PHP Mail function and has to have write permissions on the server. I can run it locally, but finding a host it will run on is proving extremely difficult!!!The other issue is POP3 mail. Why do so few free hosts offer mail? I understand with the problem above - they need to protect themselves against the consequences of spam being sent from their servers, but I don't understand why it's so difficult to get a someone@domain.com email address setup.I have my own domain name and want my site to look professional, I don't wan't to put out some freemail address!

Moved to Support section.

You can find what version of PHP and SQL by looking here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

As long as your poMMo meets our current PHP and SQL versions you can proceed with our hosting service.

The reason POP3 mail may be limited for some free hosting services is due to spam. POP3 carries the origin of hosting server's IP/reference name and when SPAM is detected by receiving demon, such as Yahoo, Gmail etc, they will place anything from free web hosting header to spam list. This is the first and quickest way from putting any hosting company under the "black list." To avoid most free web hosting companies disable the full usage of POP3.

Xisto, however, does not limit POP3 service. In return of this service enabled we simply ask that you honor our service in good faith. This means simply do not use our free web hosting service to spam. When you do it calls for an immediate termination of your hosting and you will not be welcomed back. We also place highest responsibility to each user of his/her account. So please double check your script so that it cannot be compromised by external user(s).

You can send email with header (full MX header) by configuring your Outlook with Xisto's MX server. For more on that, please visit our Hosted Members Area and look for the pinned topic.