xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
matak

My Site Idea (already done by other people)

Hy

This project is something i've been thinking about in my free time, and now the time has come to offer this idea to other internet users. As i learne about webdesign and php programming i see it has a great potential for the future internet users, so they can make their life and surfing much simpler. Also by spending lot's of time surfing i realized how there is a small line that connects every internet user, that is SEARCH. Google is powerfull search engine but it has no soul. There is just to many websites that provide the same thing and finding the best one (or at least the one with the right answer) can be a reall pain in the *bottom* sometimes.

Development of new blog tools, forums, and cms sistems made surfing a lot easier to common users. With a little reading and some basic webdevelopment skills everybody is allowed to create their own blogs, forums or websites. But that makes all of the internet even more complicated, beacouse every newcomer who makes website and registers it to google just makes another internet users search even more complicated. There is over 4,000,000,000 pages available for search now, and finding a right one just doesn't seem possible.

How could we make this better?

The idea i've been thinking about is internet house, neighbourhood or even city. I've tried Second Life, and found some things in that "game" very interesting. But bandwith that it's using is just way too much. For 30 minutes playing around you can download more than 50-60 megs. Now that just isn't right. Sharing bookmarks is fine thing, but againg if u get someones bookmarks how can you really know how much is their value? Again you are obligated to go to those pages, check them out and see do you really need them in bookmarks. We all know some things that make our life simpler when it comes to internet, but do we know them all?

Ok, now what is it what am i babling about!!

Simple. Imagine that you come to website in which you have a house, maybe some roommates that you share your interests, or even maybe a neighbour which you hate so much. In that house you would probably have everything you need to surf the net, and it would be easily availiable for other residents of the house. Maybe if someone else is online in your house you could stream music, some movie clips or just share your recent discoveries and news you found out.

To make everything more intresting, design of houses, rooms, and perks would be done by user. Everything would be free but user contribution would be required. That is as far as i will go for now, beacouse i'm not yet sure in which way is this project going to go, beacouse first we need now is to discuss these things:

* Organizaton of all files, code, mysql and access rules
* Optimization for possible future upgrades
* Graphic design (How is that all going to look like)
* Everything, everything, everything.. All i have for now is a "vision" :blink:

If you have free time for this join and discuss. Only after everything is decided i would like to start developing this future "CMS"

Thank You
Matak

for now i only put joomla and forum so you can ask anything you need if you are intrested in developing this with me
check it out here

Edited by matak (see edit history)

That's interesting. However, how are you going to present it to your visitors and not get them confused at the same time?

I'm thinking about the whole concept of that "community". I want it to be fun and usefull at the same time. Also, i would like it to have the option so that "everybody" can make their own "house" and at the same time it can be connected to all other houses (but that is just an option, it may be more complicated to program something like that)

For now i still don't have any material to present it to visitors but soon i hope i'll create a basic concept so that you or anybody else can see (and understand) what am i thinking of. Only problem for me is that i'm alone at this for now, but i hope that as soon as i get that basic concept online more ppl are going to be intrested in project.

The reason i posted this before even building a concept is beacouse i need to find out average profile of users. What are their needs and intrests, so that "registration" can be more precise, so that users can easily find someone with similar intrests.

This is what am i came up for average user profile

user needs news for their intrest

also he needs a good resource

communication between users

question of annonimity? to have it or not to have it

Also user would need to contribute, beacouse good and quality resources would require user to have some sort of CREDIT in order to read it. Similar to Xisto sistem but there would be many many more ways to score "CREDITS"..

p.s.

how do you mean confuse visitors (just a reminder this is all in one big BETA faze :blink: )?

"I wrote this to get post back on top, i hope nobody minds. There are few new thing, and better explanation of everything. Still no progress and no ppl intrested in helping!"This internet house i've been thinking about should be simple, fast, user friendly and most of all fun to use.Ok, now how to do that?!First let's start with design, and the thing that is bothering me the most is what code to use for design.We all know that worst thing about internet is browser support, and i personally don't have anything against Microsoft and IE, it's just that some things that can easily be coded for Firefox don't work for IE.I want to use the simplest code possible for designing this IH (internet house) so i decided for 4 things that are going to be the backbone of entire project.1. HTML-i think we all know what is HTML Smile2. CSS-cascading style sheets are a good, fast way to design web pages. worst problem with CSS is it's browser compatibility.I am sorry but since IE doesn't support some features of CSS i have decided that Firefox is going to be a browser for which i'm going to code this IH.Anybody who uses IE will have the possibility to create same Concept based on that browser, and of course anyone using any other browser can code IH for it.3. PHP-whole house is going to need some powerfull programming language to code scripts, and to connect and save stuff to database. I decided for PHP beacouse i think it is quite simple, there is lot's of help for it on internet and i just simply like it.4. MySQL-database to store data in. it is good, reliable and fast. it's not perfect but it's free.---------------------OK, now second thing is that internet house is going to be open source, but not that simple - more like earned open source.At first everybody will have the chance to take a glance at code, and download it, but as the project develops only users who were there, who helped and coded, posted ideas or solved problems will have the opportunity to see the code.Others are not going to be forbidden, just there will be tasks which they would need to complete before getting the code.----------------------Third thing is HOSTING, and sharing houses.We would need to agree on primary house. Although i don't think of it that way, only this way and i'll try to explain it as much as i can.Now everybody who wants can make their own house, but the idea would be that all of users stay in touch, to stay in some kind of order.How to achieve that order?We need to look at real life. People live in Earth (let's call it internet) then we have continents, than cities.Now to organize the best thing to do would be to name street. I would call it "18th internet avenue" (since i'm borned on 18 :lol: so gimme some credit plz :D ) and then as a user registers a house he would get his place in the street.As much as the "population" would grow, so the street would get longer, maybe we would have a crossroad, park, or even the whole city.That's how i think about it.------------------Basically i have an idea, and i count on internet users who have the knowledge to help in this idea.It's not bad, it wouldn't be something totally new, or original, but it would be a good try to kinda find your place on internet.Forums would still be forums, blogs would still be blogs, but this whole idea of mine (well it's not mine, it is something that every internet user feels in the air and probably others are developing similar projects) would be to give a user that warmth that you have at home, that feeling that you belong somewhere, that something which makes us humans -- even if we are near a machine.------------------I hope u feel the same way, and also hope that you understand meaning of this project.It's not about money, or glory it's evolution!!Surf wellMatak ^_^

lol looks like someone had a little time on their hands lol but neway i like yur ideai think it would be awesome

i'm sorry i don't fully understand this post. does it mean that i had a lot of time or little time? (i'm serious not joking)

beacouse i think that time is important factor in all of this development, and that is quite personal what you said about maybe you didn't mean to but.. well never mind.

if you mean that i have a lot of time in my hands than you are mistaking beacouse this project is something that i would love to be finished in 2 days but again it is something that i'm developing in my free time. and if you are developing something in your free time than you really appreciate that time and hope that all of that isn't going to waste.

on another hand even if it does, this is probably my hello/or goodbye to internet. i don't mean to be rude but we all have some goals when we surf, and i surf like maybe for 10 years now. All of that experience have thought me some lessons, i've been on IRC on ICQ, Forums, i avoided Blogs but i use them, and now i want to put all of that experiences in one place -- in hope that someone who is first time on internet will have the same chance to use it like some experienced surfer.

plz, don't talk about time. none of us have the time for what we really want to do, and the time that we spend on doing something that we don't like goes really slowly. But you have to live from something, don't you?

Although i don't resent that what you are saying couse you are 100% right, i should be spending all of my time on study, finish college and then work for some great salary. Maybe have 2-3 children. But than again all of us have the chance to do that so i hope i can still live in this dream, beacouse everything else just -- sucks.

P.S.
Don't just think that the idea is awesome help it. I'm a programing noob square, and i think i can pull this of, if you are or anybody else is just like me but with will to help it's all you need to do -- just have a will to help, don't think that idea is awesome try to help it. Even if it is the smallest thing in the world if you contribute it's positive. Communication is most important thing. Even if i could i wouldn't do this without the support of at least 100 ppl who think that the project is going in the right direction. Be the 3rd support, contribute -- write something, anything, google it research it and post it back on this forum or on my site i don't care just let's do something. I wont forget it, no matter how important that is. All I/we need is to build the first house, and the rest is going to be easy -- I hope...

Peace be with you!
Matak

That sounds very cool and I would love to help you make it. ^_^ Is that ok if I can? Can I join your development team?

Sure you can join my "development" team.. I'll make you assistant director :lol:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

here's the forum, so post your skills there or contact me on e-mail, icq, msn if you are serious

I have read your entire thread, but I am sorry I do not quite understand what you are trying to do here. Are you trying to make a community so that first time internet users would be able to know which item is the best, which fits their needs and which 1 should be avoided? Things like that? Your idea is to build a community whereby it functions as the soul of 'Google' to be able to recognise which site is good which site is bad ... etc? I have always had the idea of helping in an open source development project, that would be one of the highest peaks a junior programmer like me could have on the internet world. I am working monday to friday now but I still make an effort to find time to learn about web standards, as we speak, I am looking at websites that teaches all about building a layout of a website without any tables. I am interested in finding more about this project, know more about what it does and how are we going to be going to build this project. Also perhaps become a contributor to this project. But the only problem standing in my way is the time I will allocate to this project, I am due to serve my nation in slightly more than 6 months and that is the time I have for this project. Please add me on MSN @ desirematters[at]hotmail.com and explain it to me ... thanks

I can't explain this in a simpler way than -- Internet House!

Yes, it's true that i wrote a lot's of stuff on website that can only maybe confuse user, but if you look at this
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, there you have 3 pictures which explain the project concept better then all i've written so far. Then on same site just /test you have house inside, and you can sit on a chair. Now, all of this time i spent on this was some programming learning and a lot of thinking about how to pull this of..
I built another layout for developers which you can see at /developers..

Now, as i learn lot about programming i kinda find out that programming it self isn't that hard. Most hardest thing to do is to make a project, build a plan, which has a sense and logic. So that can easily be improved and that the code written for basic program would be "perfect" in it's logic.

I still don't have the project! I'm thinking about it a lot, and some things just aren't that simple as they seem. Now you said that you don't understand what is it about. I don't understand how to explain it to you if you can't understand it from those pics. But if you are interested in helping don't worry about time, there is no pressure on completing tasks, you don't even need to program in order to help, you don't even need to design. In order to help you first must understand what's it about, and looks like i need to explain this a lot better so that even rest of the ppl could understand.

I've given my self a deadline to write a good explanation of this idea, it's until the new year. I write as idea comes to my head, so at this time it looks a bit weird. Imagine if i started programming as it came to my head.. Where would i be now?

But if you want to know what is really bothering me it is browser support! It's bothering me so much, that sometimes i think writing all of this in C or other similar languages would be easier than making it work the same for all browsers.

So the best thing you can do to help is to agree or disagree on this:

For building this project best tools would be
1. HTML
2. CSS
3. PHP
4. MySQL
5. JavaScript
Do you agree?
If you do write why, else print i disagree :lol: and why?

Next i
Do you agree that those tools are most common tools used on internet, and are those tools used for Web 2 designs? If not write what are?!

Now, another thing is, this?!

I got this idea before i even heard of second life so this is not a rip off. But second life is external program, and therefor it was "easy" to make something like that.

So another question?

Do you think that building external program (which could be plugin)would be better than trying to combine knowledge of all of those codes together?

~.~

You don't need to answer right away, just think about it, and then get back with some smart post. And I'll consider you contributed ^_^

P.S.
There is something else i wanted to say, but let's make it a secret for now..

Until the new year! (well at least for this post)
Respect
Matak

I have just read the page, seen the pictures but sorry I still do not get your idea. I login using my username and password, I go to a house and select the one which I like and it displays me the number of credits, roommates, friends, assignments ... etc and that is the end of the sequence. What I do not understand is:Is this house a virtual community where I can select, for example members can choose which house they want to stay in and communicate with other members that way? And the credits, roommates, friends, assignments ... etc, what is all that about? I want to know the purpose of your site and I am afraid that visualization you have on your site is not really helpful as it has not made anything less complicated. When doing any programming, it is important what you intend to throw out and its purpose so as to avoid any mix ups or any forgotten component. Browser support is a very problematic issue, it can work well in IE 7, then bad in Firefox, Safari but well in Opera. So this is something which is going to be very difficult to solve. I don't understand how you are going to use C or other languages to do this unless you intend of making a software whereby people download and use it from there instead of accessing it from the web or something like that. I am most familiar with Java and I thought of using an applet but knowing the security concerns with them, I don't think it would be a very good idea. The tools for this project:1. HTML (The basic and standard markup language of the base of any website, a definite must)2. CSS (Styling of the page to make it as light weight as possible, an object-oriented style, something which is very important to any website)3. PHP (A server side technology, I am not too sure about this, I would need some guidance as I am most proficient in Java, I did not learn PHP at all)4. MySQL (Free database, what else can we ask for? We do not have any funds for Microsoft SQL)5. JavaScript (Validation on the client-side, definitely needed) but what about on the server side? Users can somehow stupidly disable Javascript and all validation would be gone from their side, we need the server to also validate.Those are the basic tools which we are using. But I am not sure whether that is the up-to-date standards, I know of the Ajax technology which would be very useful to any website. It is especially helpful for page refreshes without any additional loading on the user part. I think it is something very fascinating as well, I have not had the chance to actually do this myself but I have seen many Wordpress plugins to actually use it, especially the Shoutbox. Also Windows Live Mail along with Wordpress Admin are all using the Ajax technology. An external plugin to use this service? On what platform are we going to build it for? Firefox, IE ... etc, this would be a huge hassle and time consuming as we have to accommodate every browser and that is something we should not be doing and that is consuming unnecessary time. Furthermore, I have no knowledge whatsoever as how to create this browser-specific plugins

Is this house a virtual community where I can select, for example members can choose which house they want to stay in and communicate with other members that way? And the credits, roommates, friends, assignments ... etc, what is all that about? I want to know the purpose of your site and I am afraid that visualization you have on your site is not really helpful as it has not made anything less complicated. When doing any programming, it is important what you intend to throw out and its purpose so as to avoid any mix ups or any forgotten component.

since you wrote a very good post there i'll answer this.
yes house should be something like virtual community. Now you could choose members if you are owner of the house. Also that credits roommates thing is just idea, more of what you could have in house. i know that information isn't very helpfull but it'll be better couse i'm constantly questioning my self on how to make this work.

Now, no applets or flash is going to be used, except if somebody else is building his own house.

My house needs to work both in IE and FFox. I know it's the wayste of time but i kinda don't care.

Programming is not my good side, to be egzact i have no idea how to programm anything. But if you intend to join and know how to programm you feel free to.
I'm still looking for few basic rules on which this project can be based that it wouldn't

mix ups or any forgotten component.

Even so, remember this, even if i don't know how to make this and you do, try to make something yourself and then contact me later. All we need is a good and reliable connection between our houses so that future users and house owners could easily find the best house to live in...

Hello to all of you following this project. It was a naive idea of mine to do something like this in short time with ppl skills with php or java programing, but i guess it just doesn't go that way.Oh, well i'm not disappointed couse i still have mice in my bedroom and i kinda guess he is my best friend after all. Yes he makes some weird noises but i'm kinda used to it by now. He likes cheese and pancakes even they are 2-3 days old, i guess he just likes chopping them into pieces.I wrote that i'm gonna be done with project until new year and i guess i was wrong. me and my mice have decided that this project is gonna take a lot more to it so we are not going to be bothered from other ppl wanting this project to benefit their needs.I take myself from one not knowing anything about anything in WWW, so while surfing i guess i'm the only one in that. Everybody else just understands the meaning and all others enjoy it. Wow what fun must that be!!!Programming that's my bizz.. When i look at it, all i can see is PHP.. And what is PHP (my mice is gone now).. It's not real programming language, it's just something that is stopping you from learning the real one. What is windows, unix or (bwahahaha linux) it's the same thing. If you are smart enough you can learn to do this things even better.That is why i find myself troubled with this whole IH idea. I kinda think that this is more something i would like to have for my personal use, than it is something that should be published on the web. Well, what is the point then.What is it?It is nothing, just an idea with a good title.. Like a book called "Doors of perception". You don't really need to read this book in order to find what's it about. That is like mine IH idea. You really don't need to read what's it about you can figure it out yourselves, without me trying to explain it alot.Well, i guess a friend of mine explained that easily...He told me something like"You called this Open Source just in order for ppl join you in developing, and you just don't have any skills in programming or developing yourself"That is true!I don't!!!I only have an idea.I guess, i still need to learn lot's of things in order to present that idea on NET. But I also guess if I ever learn how to become a "great" programmer, i won't ask anybody for advice. I'll just do my stuff and earn my money... And for this idea, it will become something i really hate, beacouse that is what i really learned what ppl are about.I really like someone making money from something, but oh well...I wrote that i will explain Internet House.beta until new year. I'm sorry guys.. i just can't. I figure it's just me and my ideas couse nobody else understands it or has time for it.So i guess i don't really need to explain it, couse one interested in it, are going to check it out, and one not... they never will..I am asking moderators of this forum to lock this topic, so that i can sleep well :lol:Peace be with youMatak