xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
adamtirella

Pay Per Channel Tv

Satellite and Cable packages are overpriced and filled with hundreds of channels that- let's face it- nobody watches. How about inventing a service that you choose what you want. For example:Start with a base package of 20 channels, with your generic news, sports, and information channels, then allow people to pick "premiums".Categories:Sports (channels=$1.00 each)News (channels=$1.00 each)Movies (channels=$2.00 each)Information (channels=50 cents)etc.Prices would be lower and customers would have nothing to complain about since they decide the final channel lineup and price.

Edited by adamtirella (see edit history)

Well here in the UK, Sky Satellite allow you to build a package from collections of channels for a few quid extra on the base price. So, for example, if you're a sports fan you can sign up to the sports package on top of the regular package. Movies are separate, kids shows, etc. It works quite well, because, as you say not everyone wants everything. Pensioners probably don't watch the CBBC channel, and a young guy may not want too many documentaries. Unfortunately we don't have the option of buying per channel, but it's better than nothing.

Personally I think the whole lot is way overpriced no matter how you pay for it, so I have Freeview.

Edited by rvalkass (see edit history)

Well, that won't be cheaper than what I'm getting. I'm getting pretty much every channel on Time Warner (formerly Comcast) for about $39 per month. But then again, I'm just lucky to live in an area where cable is abnormally cheap.

Well here in the UK, Sky Satellite allow you to build a package from collections of channels for a few quid extra on the base price. So, for example, if you're a sports fan you can sign up to the sports package on top of the regular package. Movies are separate, kids shows, etc. It works quite well, because, as you say not everyone wants everything. Pensioners probably don't watch the CBBC channel, and a young guy may not want too many documentaries. Unfortunately we don't have the option of buying per channel, but it's better than nothing.

Personally I think the whole lot is way overpriced no matter how you pay for it, so I have Freeview.

Yeah we also have the same system... some 35 channels the base package and another 3 extra packages. One for HBO, another for all Discovery Channels (Travel & Adventure, Science, Civilization) and another one for movies (you guess what kind). It is a good idea, but it would be better if we could pay per channel. I for one have at least 20 channels I never watch... useless and my parents still pay for them.

Pay Per Channel TV is the best solution for the consumer and I'm a complete advocate for it but for the company, Pay Per Channel is something they're avoiding. If they allow us to only pick the channels we want then it's taking away money they would be receiving. They want to give us channels noone wants to watch so they have an excuse for us to pay more. That's just the way the world works because people are only interested in one thing and that's money!