xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
arnz

Democracy in Australia. A debate

Democracy is good according to many influential people, but at times personally I have never felt like I am in a democracy. What are my options? A Coalition government that can be anti-labour one day, and then look like they may pro-labour stance the next. The federal Labour party that seem to be in the middle, but have they got a clear policy!?! Oh and the slow but gradual decline of the democrat influence in the senate which apparently was meant "to keep the *BLEEP*s honest".I fall somewhere between middle class and lower class, also am a p/t uni student and get hit for everything. But the myths of being better off when getting a government job is true in some cases, false in others. But still personally I would be better off if I was lucky to score a gov based job, high income, less worries about bills, many free stuff (ie gym, some food, etc). It seems that middle class pays at least equal (if not more) tax at the same level of those in the higher income brackets.There are also issues ie health, water supply in some areas , but those who foot the bill seem to come from the middle class.. :lol:

Edited by arnz (see edit history)

there is no perfect type of goverment each of them have their pro's and con's,we can only bring them as close to perfect as possible,democracy motto is by the people and for the people ,and it nis only people who make mistakes hehe,you may shout that the form of goverment is not working but again to change it is in your own hands ,nobody wants to go to politics but always want to went that the form of goverment is the worst ever,i don't think there was any time in the history at any place where people said this is the best sort of goverment ever,their are going to be prob lems always ,no matter whatand as far as a gov job is concerned ,i think its not a good job,because your chances of moving ahead is more in a private company than a goverment job,private company would give you more opportunity than a goverment company,but if you don't want much opportyunity and want a secure job than i think the goverment job thing may work for you :lol:

I'm not sure that you live in a democracy. AU is formally a possession of GB, right? Like Canada, it's still based on royalty and still does nothing without the Queen's approval or am I wrong? The US isn't a democracy either. We're a representative republic and we're not well represented.

I think many aussies consider the nation to be an "inactive" constitutional democracy considering the Governor-General is usually the Queens representative by name only, and basically most decisions are made by their own those days without having to refer to the Queen, etc (have a look at their relationship with the US for example!.. and i'm not gonna go further there).