xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
berakd

Not Possible Nec 3540 And Sony Cd-rw On Same Ide Channel Read this please...

Look at this what happend... Yesturday I bought a new HDD Seagate 160GB, and I wanted to put my optical drives on secoundary IDE channel, and my HDD-s on primary... I did it all, and I turned on my computer, and then opened bios to see is everything ok, and then ta-da... My CD-RW Sony 52/32/52 is recognised, and my DVD-RW Nec 3540 is not recognised like that, it was something like ⌡._σ▲⌡?■○?... ant that was strange to me... I have never seen someting similar... But worst of everything, CD-RW is recognised, and works, but DVD-RW is not working at all, but I can oipen and close door... I thould my NEC is passed out and it is dead now, but then i remember, there are those tiny little jumpers.... So, I open my case, see if everything is cool there, and it was, SONY was master, and NEC was slave... Then I make situation like this, Sony to be slave, and NEC master... I do it, turn machine on, and ta-da again, now nec is recognised, and Sony is not, but it was someting strange... If it is all allright, sony supose to be recognised like this: SONY CD-RW and some letters, and now it was like this: SoNy CdRw SoNy. And it was really strange to me.... So I thould something went wrong with motherboard, and secoundary slave IDE channel is not working like it supose to, and I disconnect master (NEC), and Sony on slave was working... What happened there I do not know, so I connected my NEC back, and disconnected my Sony, to wait while I solve the problem... If someone can help, please.....

There are 3 things you have to watch for :- Older drives don't use the 80 ribbon cables , you have to the 40 ribbon cables.- All the cables have to go to both connectors, if there are some broken.You have to place CS (cable select) on both drives i.s.o. master and slave.- The IDE interface speed selected in the BIOS could be to high for 1 of both drives.Fix the speed in your BIOS to the lowest speed.

Edited by kdr_98 (see edit history)

There are 3 things you have to watch for :
- Older drives don't use the 80 ribbon cables , you have to the 40 ribbon cables.

- All the cables have to go to both connectors, if there are some broken.
You have to place CS (cable select) on both drives i.s.o. master and slave.

- The IDE interface speed selected in the BIOS could be to high for 1 of both drives.
Fix the speed in your BIOS to the lowest speed.

Thanks for coments, and advices... I am now thinking, meybe my BIOS is gone crazy, so I will first of all try to flash a newer version... I do not think it will work, but who know...

My friend has the same problem like I have... He has Pioneer 110D and LG DVD-ROM 16x, and he have same stranges like I do... It is hardware or BIOS failure in constructing or programing... I am hope they have noticed they have a problem... I will try to update BIOS, and then if it not work again, I do not know...

Maybe I will by for me one DFI and change my Sempron for Athlon AM2... Or Intel CORE2... I hate my Abit now, becouse since I have a problem, I have done a little research to find all problems related to this Series7 and I have noticed that these motherboards have in most cases a problem with IDE drivers or something related to IDE slots..... D*mn ABIT!!!!!

- Older drives don't use the 80 ribbon cables , you have to the 40 ribbon cables.

I had the same problem on my old P3 computer.
I bought a DVD-RW but it didn't work when I plugged it in.
It would look ok in the BIOS and windows would recognize it but when I tried to read something I would get a series of read error and a frozen computer. The solution was to put it on the same IDE chain as my hard drive. This led to an annoying speed limitation because the two devices that were used together were on the same chain but at least the drive worked.

Do you and your friend have the same motherboard? Abit is probably one of the top 5 motherboard manufacturers in te world... I had Abit once, then sold it to a friend, and it still works perfectly, after 5 or 6 years of heavy use...What could be the problem... Maybe you have manually set the PIO mode in BIOS, to a too high number, or BIOS itself missread the PIO value, and set it too high..The 80 wire cable issue should not be a problem, since even old IDE-40 drives work on IDE-80 cables... But it's worth a try...Flash the BIOS, and if that doesn't correct it, try to ask a pro, maybe they'll have a better idea... Also, you should be prepared for a possibility, that it just doesn't want to work :rolleyes:I have NEC DVD-RW set on secondary master, and LG CD/DVD combo on secondary slave, and they work like a charm... But they both work in PIO mode 2... If PIO is seto too high, they tend to get freaky, either by the way of detection by the BIOS, or by not reading disks inserted in them, or missreading data...There is a vast number of possibilities, that I can't remember at this point, but those before mentioned, should do the trick... If they don't, let us know what was the problem, so we can learn from it :)