xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NigaiAmaiYume

They Actually Did Something For Me At Work! Im shocked...

I work at a local Tim Hortons overnight, 11pm to 7am. Being a university town, during the weekend I get a fair number of drunk students, even though we're a distance away from the downtown bars. We only have two people working the 11pm-7am shift, one on front (me), and the baker.

Generally, everyone else gets off shift at 11pm, and in the mornings I get one person at 5am and one person at 6am (Mon-Fri), and on weekends it's one at 6am and (usually) one at 6:30.

The past couple of weeks, I've been running into the back at about 5:30am on Saturday mornings, crying from frustration and needing not to see people for 5 minutes. This is due to several reasons - I work WAY too hard, don't take quite enough breaks, and the baker usually done at 5 and I'm NEVER sure where they are on Saturdays since they're almost always students. o_O I seriously hate having to waste 5 minutes trying to FIND help while I leave people in line - but that means I push it until the last minute, when I BREAK.

Anyway, I'm sick of this (For obvious reasons), and know I need to destress before I can work on handling it better (I'm working on that, promise! Going to go see a counsellor and everything!), so I asked if I could be moved from my current Tuesday - Saturday night schedule to Sunday - Thursday, avoiding the weekend rush.

Well, instead, they said they'd book someone from 11pm-12am Friday and Saturday, and at 5am Saturday morning to help me! o_O

We're SERIOUSLY understaffed. Which is probably one of the reasons they did this; I'm one of the ONLY people willing to work nights, let alone full-time, between the two stores the owners manage (and can swap staff, if necessary). But this means having people work MORE, instead of MY idea.

I know this says something. I'm just not sure WHAT.

Can anyone translate? ^-^

My Opinion:They value you as an employee and are trying to make the Work Environment suit you and your requirements. They realize that you were stressed at times and are attempting to relieve some of the pressures from you. Any decent manager would do that for a valued employee.I might be wrong, maybe they can't find anyone else to work your shift? But you'd think that would be easy enough to do in a College town? I'm sticking with the first line.