xisto Community
ishwar

Vedic Mathematics Ancient Indian Mathematics

Hi

I was taken aback recently when a friend told showed me some mathematical tricks. He told me he got them from a book on vedic mathematics.

I did some googling and found out that 4th 5th and 6th dimensions do exist. ( I know theres an active thread on this topic), and Fermats last theorem has proven by this branch of maths - Fermats Last theorem

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - shows the existence of more than 3 dimensions.

also go to Multi-Dimensions of Time And Space

Interesting find although that kind of math is beyond logic (it pig latin to me). Althogh I find it ironic that the 5th dimension contains that infamous symbol it. But i could be missing something but this math sounds more religious based then actual math:

The Trinity of Gods namely Brahma, Mahesh, Vishnu are the overlords of real 4, 5 & 6 spaces respectively.

Could a achems razor be put into this at all?

achems razor meaning the simplest explenation is always the best

Interesting find although that kind of math is beyond logic (it pig latin to me). Althogh I find it ironic that the 5th dimension contains that infamous symbol it. But i could be missing something but this math sounds more religious based then actual math:

The Trinity of Gods namely Brahma, Mahesh, Vishnu are the overlords of real 4, 5 & 6 spaces respectively.

Could a achems razor be put into this at all?

achems razor meaning the simplest explenation is always the best

Yes I agree that it might sound like "pig latin" as you put it. They believed these dimensions are cosmic in nature because one cannot easily see a fourth fifth or sixth dimension. I believe this form of mathematics was the root of the grossly blurred modern hinduism.

Well the germans copied the swastika from us indians, and they tarnished its image.

anyways practical use of the system ca be found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by ishwar (see edit history)

I got confused by some of the references to Hinduism, and being REALLY late here, and me highly sleep-deprived (I like to learn about other cultures, religions, histories, but never come by many books or websites with info on them and they're hardly covered in world history classes) but I think I get the basic point. It's "sorta" (kinda...ish) like what I posted in that thread about the 4th, 5th, etc dimensions, that it's sort of (for lack of better words at least) like an overlap...grr, I dunno how to explain what I was thinking...I will edit this post in the morning when I have slept :)

I got confused by some of the references to Hinduism

no, it doesnt refer to hinduism as such, all the names "Brahma " etc are from the ancient Indo - European language sanskrit. What happened what was that since this language was spoken in Iran - Pakistan - Afghanistan and Indian region 2500 years ago , the arabs called the people who spoke this language "Hindus" derived from the name of the river Indus. And that name stuck.

Anyways thats way off point. Basically what happened in ancient India was that some saints who got this knowledge, told it to their disciples and one point of time it was lost to the world.

It is good to see nowadays people are finding it useful. I am still fascinated by the existence 4th, 5th and 6th dimensions, maybe I can do my PhD on this sumday?

Very Nice Vedic MathematicsSo where in this cosmic scheme of events are the Shudras and the DalitsHow come they are not having any rights to study this wonderful science, or are they in they in the seventh dimension?"Religious extremism has been the root cause of most of theWorld problems since time immemorial. It has decided the fatesOf men and nations. In a vast nation like India, the imposition ofReligious dogma and discrimination upon the people has takenPlace after the upsurge of Hindu rightwing forces in the politicalArena. As a consequence of their political ascendancy in theNorthern states of India, they started to rewrite school textbooksIn an extremely biased manner that was fundamentalist andRevivalist. Not only did they meddle with subjects like history(which was their main area of operation), but they also imposedTheir religious agenda on the science subjects. There was a planTo introduce Vedic Astrology in the school syllabus across theNation, which was dropped after a major hue and cry fromSecular intellectuals.""The whole corpus of Vedic literature is in Sanskrit. The VedasAre four in number: Rgveda, Saamaveda, Yajurveda andAtharvaveda. In traditional Hinduism, the Vedas as a body ofKnowledge were to be learnt only by the ?upper? caste HindusAnd the ?lower castes? (Sudras) and so-called ?untouchables?(who were outside the Hindu social order) were forbidden fromLearning or even hearing to their recitation. For severalCenturies, the Vedas were not written down but passed fromGeneration to generation through oral transmission. WhileReligious significance is essential for maintaining AryanSupremacy and the caste system, the claims made about theVedas were of the highest order of hyperbole." (W. B. Vasantha Kandasamy)http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ by Janki Das

Hi
I was taken aback recently when a friend told showed me some mathematical tricks. He told me he got them from a book on vedic mathematics.

I did some googling and found out that 4th 5th and 6th dimensions do exist. ( I know theres an active thread on this topic), and Fermats last theorem has proven by this branch of maths - Fermats Last theorem

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - shows the existence of more than 3 dimensions.

also go to Multi-Dimensions of Time And Space

Such a very amazing link!

The book Vedic Mathematics was written by Jagadguru Swami Sri Bharati Krishna Tirthaji Maharaja. It describes Vedic mathematics, a system of mental calculation. Bharati claimed he had found the basis of this system written in the form of sutras in an appendix of Atharvaveda which has now been lost. He developed the system further and wrote sixteen books about it. The manuscript of these books somehow got lost and Jagadguru then wrote the book Vedic Mathematics which was published in 1965, five years after his death. Vedic mathematics book is also written by Geet Kalra studying in BSF school Jalandhar Cantt. This book allows to do many calculus using just one line.

Swami Bharati Krishna Tirtha's Vedic mathematics is a system of mathematics consisting of a list of 16 basic sūtras, or aphorisms. They were presented by a Hindu scholar and mathematician, Jagadguru Swami Sri Bharati Krishna Tirthaji Maharaja, during the early part of the 20th century[1].

Tirthaji claims that he found the sūtras after years of studying the Vedas, a set of sacred ancient Hindu texts[2]. The calculation strategies provided by Vedic mathematics are creative and useful, and can be applied in a number of ways to calculation methods in arithmetic and algebra, most notably within the education system.

Vedic math and the Trachtenberg system are very similar to each other. Many of the arithmetic computational strategies are based on the same concepts.

Vedic mathematics was presented by Jagadguru Swami Sri Bharati Krishna Tirthaji, who is described as having the “rare combination of the probing insight and revealing intuition of a Yogi with the analytical acumen and synthetic talent of a mathematician”[3]. Born in India in 1884, Tirthaji was an exceptional scholar; by age twenty he had studied at a number of colleges and universities throughout the country, been awarded the title of ‘Saraswati’ by the Madras Sanskrit Association for his remarkable proficiency in Sanskrit, and had completed seven masters degrees, including Sanskrit, Philosophy, English, Mathematics, History and Science, with the American College of Sciences[4].

Around 1911, Tirthaji resolved to study several sections of the Atharva-veda that had been dismissed by Orientalists, Indologists and antiquarian scholars as nonsensical (Tirthaji, 1992). He was part of a shrinking group of Indian scholars who believed that the Vedas represented an “inexhaustible mine of profound wisdom” both spiritual and secular (Pratyagatmananda, 1965). Tirthaji claimed that there were sections of the Atharva-veda labeled “ganita sūtras” or “mathematical formulae” that mysteriously made no obvious reference to mathematics[5]. Tirthaji explains that he was determined to understand the “ganita sūtra” references, and began studying ancient lexicons and lexicography in more detail[6]. With this resolve, Tirthaji went to Sringeri, Karnataka, where he began years of solitary study and meditation[7].

Eight years later, Tirthaji emerged claiming to have deciphered 16 fundamental mathematical sūtras in the Vedas, which today have become the foundation of Vedic mathematics[8]. According to Tirthaji, the sūtras cover every branch of mathematics, from arithmetic to spherical conics, and that “there is no mathematics beyond their jurisdiction”[9].

After discovering the sūtras, Tirthaji traveled around India presenting Vedic mathematics, and even lectured in the United States and England in 1958 (Trivedi, 1965). In addition to lecturing, Tirthaji also wrote sixteen volumes, one for each basic sūtra, explaining their applications [10]. Before they were published, the manuscripts were lost irretrievably [11]. Before falling ill and passing away in 1960, Tirthaji was able to rewrite the first of the sixteen volumes he had composed[12]). This text — simply titled Vedic Mathematics, ISBN 81-208-0164-4 and published in 1965 — has become the basis for all study in the area[13].

The word “veda” has two basic meanings. The first, a literal translation of the Sanskrit word, is “knowledge” (Veda). The second, and most common meaning of the word, refers to the sacred ancient literature of Hinduism, the Vedas, a collection of hymns, poetry and Hindu ceremonial formulae (Veda). Believed to be one of the oldest human written records, the Vedas date back over 4000 years (Gaskell, 2000). Traditionally, they were passed down orally and adapted from generation to generation by sacred sages called rishis, before eventually emerging written in Vedic, an ancient form of Sanskrit.

The Vedas are divided into four main sections: the Rig-veda, Sama-veda, Yajur-veda and the Atharva-veda, known collectively as the Samhitas (Veda). The first three, the Rig-veda, Sama-veda, and Yajur-veda are basically ritual handbooks that were used by priests during the Vedic period (1500–500 BCE) (Veda). Vedic mathematics is apparently part of the fourth Veda, Atharva-veda, which is distinct from the others in several ways. First, unlike the religious focus of the other Vedas, the Atharva-veda contains hymns, spells and magical incantations for personal and domestic use (Veda). Also, the Atharva-veda, which was written later than the other Vedas, was not always considered authoritative, but only became so after being accepted by the Brahmans, the highest order of Hindu priests (Veda). Collectively, the Vedas do include information about a huge range of subjects, spanning religion, medicine, architecture, astronomy, etc. (Gaskell, 2000).

Although there is controversy about whether the Vedas themselves actually include references to mathematics, the roots of sophisticated mathematics have actually been traced back to the Vedic era. Ancient Indian Vedic civilizations are known for being skilled in geometry, algebra and computational mathematics complex enough to incorporate things like irrational numbers (Dutta, 2002). Furthermore, all ancient Indian mathematics literature is composed completely in verse; there was a tradition of composing terse sūtras, like those of Vedic mathematics, to ensure that information would be preserved even if written records were damaged or lost (Dutta, 2002). this is done by the computer.

The word “veda” has two basic meanings. The first, a literal translation of the Sanskrit word, is “knowledge” (Veda). The second, and most common meaning of the word, refers to the sacred ancient literature of Hinduism, the Vedas, a collection of hymns, poetry and Hindu ceremonial formulae (Veda). Believed to be one of the oldest human written records, the Vedas date back over 4000 years (Gaskell, 2000). Traditionally, they were passed down orally and adapted from generation to generation by sacred sages called rishis, before eventually emerging written in Vedic, an ancient form of Sanskrit.

The Vedas are divided into four main sections: the Rig-veda, Sama-veda, Yajur-veda and the Atharva-veda, known collectively as the Samhitas (Veda). The first three, the Rig-veda, Sama-veda, and Yajur-veda are basically ritual handbooks that were used by priests during the Vedic period (1500–500 BCE) (Veda). Vedic mathematics is apparently part of the fourth Veda, Atharva-veda, which is distinct from the others in several ways. First, unlike the religious focus of the other Vedas, the Atharva-veda contains hymns, spells and magical incantations for personal and domestic use (Veda). Also, the Atharva-veda, which was written later than the other Vedas, was not always considered authoritative, but only became so after being accepted by the Brahmans, the highest order of Hindu priests (Veda). Collectively, the Vedas do include information about a huge range of subjects, spanning religion, medicine, architecture, astronomy, etc. (Gaskell, 2000).

It is not difficult to understand and apply the Vedic mathematical strategies, as long as one does not rely on the sūtras alone for mathematical insight. Those studying Vedic mathematics tend to strongly rely on the examples and explanations Tirthaji provides in his book.

Notice from rvalkass:

*EDIT-- Ok soz about that. Won't happen again from now on I'll provide my sources :)

Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)