xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ghostrider

Linux Help Wont recognize my external DVD player

I'm new to Linux and it won't recognize my DVD player. Its an external DVD player, and uses USB. I'm using the distro Knoppix, version 4.0. Plugging it in doesnt add an icon on my desktop, so I know it doesnt have anything to do with mounting it. My computer doesnt display that drive in my boot up options either, maybe I need a driver or something? Has anyone else had this problem?

My advice as a linux user would be to google the product and try to find a lunux driver for it. Make sure your linux distro supports usb 2.0 as a module since that most likey is what you drive is for. Beside googling it and so forth, its hard to help unless the make and model are provided since most linux drivers are for specific drives / drivers

iervan: It's no use to put HTML into a forums post - without the proper plug-ins installed, it won't be parsed (and I suppose OpaQue is smart enough not to install this :rolleyes:). Probably none of us has this image on his/her hard drive anyway :)To answer your question: You'll need to repartition your harddrive (add an ext3-partition and a swap partition) :rolleyes: I need to get back to work, maybe I'll check in later today...

Re-plug DVD and plug USB flash disk into same USB to check your USB port under KnoppixIf you get on desktop Usb flash icon ,you have problem with DVD optical drive I dont remember for ver 4 but Insert some dvd or cd media in DVD drive , some linux distros don.t mount empty drive