xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
da96

Seagate's New 750gb Barracuda Drives

Looks like Seagate slipped up and accidentally released a PDF specification of their upcoming 750GB Barracuda drives. Available in both PATA and SATA configurations, these drives are based on new perpendicular recording technology ranging from 200GB to 750GB in capacity. The Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640A (PATA) and the ST3750640SA (SATA) are available on the Seagate website with plans for shipping them this year. These 7200RPM drives will come with either 8MB or 16MB buffers, and the prices of 500GB drives should drop upon the new Barracudas release.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/

WOW! 750GB? couldn't you use that as a server? You could run a few different operating systems on that!

It's amazing to think that they can make mass storage devices that big, imagine what they'll be able to make in a decade. and cos of reductions in file sizes, in 10 years you may be able to store the internet on a usbpen in your pocket! :)

really cool men 750 gbs ,i just dont know how far they will go in increasing the storage capacity in harddisk,may be after this i m thinking of starting a hosting company hehe :) by the way till now i am not even a hosted member :)

Wow, that puts my 18Gb hard drive to shame. I could do with a few more Gbs, but I don't think I could use all of a 750Gb installation.It would be good for trying out a few of the Linux distros I have been meaning to try, but haven't had the space.Knowing me, I won't see a hard drive that big for 5 years. I always seem to get the low end hardware :)

tell me about it....they already have terra bytes out.. they are just external... lolanyways if i had the money id get a few 500+ gigs for my computer and get at least 2 terrabytes total lol...im a packrat and i also backup all my dvds on my computer so thats like what 7-10 gbs a disc lol...

I use big lucy hardrives they have 3 terabyte a drive, use them in racks external storage. But seagate always brings something new and inovating.For computers inside, I mostly use maxtor 7200rpm / 16mb buffer 250gig hhds. And raptor hhds. s-ata2 / scusiI really hate I mean hate those old gray fat cabels was so happy when they finally found something for it lol.

Ahh, the 750GB Seagate drives, I recently built a computer for a client with two of these very large drives in it. Running in a RAID 0, he had over a terabyte of storage. Why? Haha I dont know, he did alot of video editing I guess? Awesome drives, but let me tell you, you definately dont want to sit through the formatting when you're loading Windows. Took about 8 years in my opinion. For the size they seem to be reliable, I haven't had any complaints so far.

Harddrives will continue to get bigger in bigger in capacity, but smaller in size. I will be getting a Western Digital 500GB external harddrive for Christmas. Right now I have a Western Digital 160GB harddrive, but since it's almost filled, I'm upgrading big time. And since I got this new iPod accessory sort of like a TiVo that records TV to iPods and other USB mass storage devices. It records good quality video at 3GB per hour, so I'll be glad that harddrives will continue to get bigger in capacity.

That's ridiculous :P 750GB of information and if you haven't partitioned and something goes wrong? Say goodbye to your data. I would rather get two smaller hard drives to handle the load.