xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mjay06

The Computers I Grew Up With

You dont know how lucky you have it nowadays, this is a brief look at the computers that got me where I am today...

First up, & probably the first sight of a computer for people my age & older is the Commodore Pet.

A dire machine, which inhabited pretty much every school in the country.

Posted Image

CPU Speed: 1mhz

Ram: 16k

Rom: 20k

Price: ?775

Thankfully this was replaced in schools by the BBCB, which at the time rocked because it had colour output not black & green. It didnt use cassettes either, we used the fantastically dire floppy disks. These were the original 5" floppys, that actually flopped, not the hard plastic things you have now. If you gave one a hard enough stare it would lose all its data & die.

Posted Image

CPU Speed: 1.8mhz

Ram: 32k

Rom: 32k

Price: ?399

It was around this sort of time I got my first home computer, the legendary ZX81. Rubbish doesnt even come close. I had the beefed up version, which boosted its 1k Ram with a 16k rampack that plugged in the back. It was a silly idea that didnt work.

Posted Image

CPU Speed: 3.5mhz

Ram: 1k

Rom: 8k

Price: ?70

My brother, being older, had a Spectrum 48k. These things were the bad boys of home computing. They had the best games & all the popular kids had them. If you think PS2 now they were the same back then.

Posted Image

Ram: 48k

Rom: 16k

Price: ?125

Computers were starting to move along a bit now, my next was the Oric 1. It had a weird keyboard, & was French, but apart from that was a pretty good little computer. It was with this I first started programming.

10 print 'my name is matt'

20 goto 10

The first code I ever did, & it just filled the screen with 'my name is matt'. Top stuff.

Posted Image

Price: ?129.99

Unfortunately, a burglar stole my beloved Oric 1, but the insurance payout replaced it with its new improved version the Oric Atmos. Same as the Oric 1 really, but with a proper keyboard.

Posted Image

Price: ?179.99

My brother thought he would be clever around this sort of time. He got a Dragon 32. It was rubbish. I lol'd. A lot.

Posted Image

CPU Speed: 0.9mhz

Ram: 32k

Rom: 8k

Price: ?139.99

While I had the Atmos, I 'won' :) a lynx of a kid at school. I didnt keep it long though as he was the smelly kid & to be honest the keyboard stank. I swapped it for a BMX. Shame really, as it was a good computer.

Posted Image

CPU Speed: 4mhz

Ram: 64k

Rom: 32k

Price: ?199.99

My last of the old school computers was the Atari 800XL. A top machine in every way. It had great graphics & sound for the time, & you could stick Atari console cartriges in a slot at the top. I still have it somewhere.

Posted Image

CPU Speed: 3.6mhz

Ram: 64k

Rom: 64k

Price: ?260

Then came my first 'proper' computer (it had a mouse), a second hand AppleMac SE. This was the thing that got me on the road to a design career. I nostalgically look back on this computer, & wish I hadnt bought it. I could have been a doctor or something dammit.

Posted Image

CPU Speed: 7.83mhz

Ram: 1Mb

Rom: 256k

Price: ?1600

There you go. The next time you complain about your pc running slowly, or a game isnt working, come & look at what I had to put up with. :P

All images from old-computers.com

This was the first computer I had

Posted Image

I played some of the best games on that thing: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galexy, Warriors of the Wasteland (which got me into RPG's). I love computers.

Now...I've grown up with the more recent computers, so I'm not to sure about this.These computers use monitors? Right? I'm..stunned, they look so different!

This was the first computer I had
I played some of the best games on that thing: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galexy, Warriors of the Wasteland (which got me into RPG's). I love computers.

This was in the days before monitors, apart from the Commodore Pet (which had a hideous green & black built in display) & the mac you had to plug all the above computers into a television.
Edited by Mjay06 (see edit history)

This was in the days before monitors, apart from the Commodore Pet (which had a hideous green & black built in display) & the mac you had to plug all the above computers into a television.

Nice computers there.. reminds me of my time.. i started out with a BBC Micro.. and then moved onto a 8086 with a green monitor 240 kilobytes of memory and two big floppy drives! was sweet to play digger and prince of persia like others!

Nice computers there.. reminds me of my time.. i started out with a BBC Micro.. and then moved onto a 8086 with a green monitor 240 kilobytes of memory and two big floppy drives! was sweet to play digger and prince of persia like others!

The BBCs were excellent computers in their day, nice & reliable & easy to use. Nowadays though the look partically prehistoric. Its amazing how far things have moved on in such a relatively short time.

My uncle gave me the Spectrum computer and if I remember correctly, games were loaded using the casettes and then you connected them to the TV. However, I have never managed to make it work since I was too young. Then I got a 386 notebook and i can't remember which type it was...I really liked that computer and since it was around 10 years ago I was THE MAN with that notebook carrying it around and all that:) My next machine was Pentium 2, 350Mhz with a very good Nokia monitor that gave me soooo much fun and knowledge. I upgraded him till last month when I bought my self a notebook again, this time a loot better:) I currently own Dell Inspiron 6400 with a dual core processor, 1Gb of Ram and 120Gb of Disk space...It is a very good computer and I recommend it to anyone!So that was my computer history...Things really developed since the year I was born and it is a lot easier to imagine how it was without cars if you think that only 15 years ago, computers or PCs as we know them didn't even exist!Greetz

Heh... That was very interesting to look though. The evolution of the computer :)I stepped into it at the right time I think. My first on was an Atari that was plugged into my television screen. I never did know how to use computers much back then... because I was still young, but my Uncle gave us his old one, and we sure had some fun on it :PAfter that, we upgraded to a PC, that ran on Windows 3.1 and DOS SHELL hahaha... It's actually sitting right next to my big powerhouse of a machine here lol... it still has all the old-school games that are so fun to play. The monitor is even so dead, that I have to jam a piece of paper in the "on button" or it won't stay on lol.But hey, we got that monitor to replace the one that came with the computer that I killed. Who would have guessed that a light bulb had enough power to melt though the monitor case? I should have known after it burned a black mark into our wall. I'm suprised I didn't burn that house down, but that's another story all in itself...Then we got a "new computer" which was another used one, but it ran Windows 98, and we thought it was the greatest thing ever! We even had the slow speed internet going with that one. (Hey - it impressed me, because I grew up with no internet lol...)Then we got the trusty computer with Windows ME (my dad really needs to upgrade to XP) and I got my IBM laptop with XP which I used for a couple years, until I bought this nice Dell computer of mine... because that laptop was a piece of crap, but the school made everyone buy it anyway. Stupid deals they had with IBM. Oh well, it taught me what not to buy lol...So that's about it for my computer days...

the first pc i had was a xt and then a 286. these were really cutting edge when we first got them but of course a few months later a new one came out although at the time quite a big leap now it would be laughed at as literally every week they are improving on technology !! These old pc really help as they were the first pc i messed around with and the ones that i used to learn my way around a pc so in that respect it helped alot . i thought those were old till i saw the ones in the first post wow those should be in a special holding contain to prevent them disintergrating as they are so old :)