xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NigaiAmaiYume

Annoyance: Managers That Postpone Useful Things Now So Problems Get Worse. And screw me over while they do it.

*breathes deeply* And... begin.*breathes deeply again**screams**Fortunately, this is the vacuum of the internet, which transports no sound, and so nobody DIES from the BLOODLOSE from their BROKEN EARDRUMS*Ah, that feels better.Used to do that in the soundproof freezer at work. Until it turned out it wasn't so "sound proof" after all. :) If I can't hear the radio full blast when I'm inside, what does that tell you about my voice that they can hear me OUTSIDE? LOL Poor baker, she thought I was having a fit. The epileptic kind, not the "I'm furious" kind.Anyway, REASON for this rant.I work at Tim Hortons, THE coffee chain up here in Canada. (I LOVE those old "Roll up the Rim to Win" commercials, where the customs guy was using it to check which country the people were from... LOL). Because I'm a night owl, insane, and a control freak, I've been working nights. As in, 11pm until 7am.In a University town.On weekends.ALONE.Ok, I'm not in the STORE alone. We have the night baker. But I'm the only one out front. Largely due to the fact that between the two stores the owner's run, I think I'm currently the ONLY dedicated overnight front staff. *deep rumbling of anger*But that's not the real reason for this rant. I've learned to accept this post in life, and enjoy it.No, my problem started two months ago. During a purging of slackers, several Supervisor positions opened up. I ignored this, since I was going back to University full time in the fall, until I happened to look closer and saw the magic words."Part-Time Supervisor".My thoughts: More money, for responsibilities I already do 90% of myself overnight, and the only added thing being deligating and managing people, skills I NEED experience in for my future career in Social work? And at a schedule where I can still keep up a few classes, and so not lose an ENTIRE year?After talking with my family, I got my application in on August the 15th, last day the applications were supposed to be due.Now, can you see ANY issues with THIS and the title of this thread???Because, you see, of course, for some BIZZARE reason, the applications came in JUST as the manager RESPONSIBLE for these interviews goes on VACATION. And when she comes back, guess WHAT? We're in fall hiring mode, trying to get as many poor saps into tan visors as possible to replace all the summer staff going back to school.AND, while this is going on, we're SHORT SUPERVISORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'm sorry, that last line didn't have enough exclamation marks.WE'RE SHORT SUPERVISORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*deep breathe*Trust me, this is a problem. Because the ONLY shift you can POSSIBLY get away without having a supervisor is the evening shift. The one I come in after. The one I've then got to get everything that THEY didn't get done because no one TOLD them to or HELD them TO do. BY MYSELF.And not just me - all the CURRENT supervisors are pulling overtime, trying to cover as many shifts as possible.So, this situation is SCREWING the VERY people originally deemed most useful for the bloody JOB.Last night, I found out a fellow would-be candidate QUIT because of this. Not just for the supervisor position. QUIT. And this guy baked, and had already had some responsibility for money.So, they've officially started shooting themselves in the OTHER foot.Oh, and me?I'm sitting here, desperately wanting the experience (And the better pay), but NOT wanting to drop courses if I'm not going to GET either, because otherwise I could GRADUATE this spring. At the same time, I rather NOT pay for a FULL TIME SEMESTER if I'm only going to take two classes so I can help the bloody store from falling apart.Because of the OTHER issue. I mentioned I was one of the very FEW overnight people they have? I'm kinda afraid they might not consider me for supervisor because they'd lose me on nights.Actually, though, if I get even just ONE supervisor shift a week, I can justify dropping enough courses to work overnight an additional THREE nights a week, a whole extra overnight than the Friday/Saturday I can currently do!Does this count as bribery?Do I even care anymore?*goes back to fuming and waiting for them to start interviews, although the need to scream is now lessened.*

Notice from jlhaslip:
Shortened title

ahhh managers, gotta love em. they're like that at the place i work, don't do anything until after it needs to be done. i've been working there over a year and a half now and there are things that needed to be done when i started that we're still waiting for. don't beat yourself up over it and definately don't let it affect your schooling, its more important.and as for screaming, maybe you could try and find another way to deal with it. a stress ball helps some people, or there are other things that you can do. find what relaxes you.

Things I do to relax at work, in approximate order:- Work on stories in my head.- Grumble to myself in my head.- Grumble to myself out loud when no one is around.- Grumble to night baker so I'm no longer talking to myself.- Start holding 3 way grumbles in my head.- Imagine punching customers in the throat.- Imagine dismembering customers. Nice and bloodily.- Start working on my horror stories.- Grinding teeth and driving nails into fists.- Complaining about situation to my favorite regulars.- Go into freezer to take a deep breath of cold air and cool down.- Go into freezer and scream.