xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brautigam

Transfer Through Modem? I want to know if I can transfer data through my old modem.

I have an old modem that still works fine (The cable guys thouht it was bad so they gave us a new one for free). So I got this modem and my two computers. The two computers don't like eachother and won't connect through an ethernet.

Basically what I want to do is hook up my two computers through my modem. I don't know if this is possible for data transfer like a router or a switch but it's worth a try. On the back of my modem, there is a Coaxial cable, an ethernet cable, and a usb cable input. What I want to know if I can do is hook up one computer with the ethernet and the other one with the usb.

So it would look like this:

LAPTOP---------usb-----------MODEM----------ethernet-----------COMPUTER

Does anybody know if this is possible or not, I really would appreciate the help.

Thank you.

I don't think this will ever work, because the USB interface and the ethernet interface are both used to go on internet through the coaxial cable (thats also the job of the modem).

I think the modem is not made for using the USB and the ethernet interface at the same time.
The 2nd problem is that you don't have access to the software in the modem (most of the time).

If you want to make such a connection the best you can buy is an adapter from USB to Ethernet.
They are not that expensive.

Her you haven an example of such device http://www.dlink.com/uk/en
For other devices just google and you find some.

But what's configuration of your internet connection ?

Are you using a Wireless router ?

Yes, I have a wireless router but I need much faster transfer than those slow speed. Just read everything below and you will be familiar with my situation. I have posted on some other forums and they just say that it is an IP conflict.Well here's the whole problem:I have already gave the same exact info to about 10 different HP Technical Support Online Chat Technicians (Or so what they are called) I am having problems connecting my laptop to my desktop with an ethernet cable. I can hook up my desktop to my other laptop with an ethernet cord perfectly fine and transfer files I can hook up my desktop to any other desktops perfectly fine with an ethernet cord But this laptop that i just got yesterday (a pavillion dv8000) will not hook up to my desktop with an ethernet cord It will though, hook up to my xbox 360 with an ethernet When i hook up this laptop to my desktop computer, neither computers even recognize that a cable is plugged in The LAN says 'a network cable is unplugged' Neither of them even say 'limited or no connection' I installed the newest drivers on both computers And the only time that i get close to connecting is when i reinstall the drivers on my laptop Right after the installation, the LAN icon on the taskbar which normally has a red X through it, changes to Connected (100mbps) but then goes back to "disconnected" 5 seconds later. If I go into Network Connections and disable the Local Area Connection on my laptop, and then enable it, for about 3 seconds it connects. On my laptop taskbar it shows connected and then goes back to disconnected, but on my desktop taskbar nothing happens at all.And that's basically it, so I was thinking that I can just use this extra modem, I guess not. My other possibilities I guess, are using an ethernet-usb adapter, like you said, or using a switch which basically works the same way as a router.

Humm it sounds likemore than just an ip conflict as that will normally just give the "limited or no connection" error. One thing you would try is using a hub/router to connect them LAPTOP--EHTERNET---HUB---ETHERNET---PC and see if that works. ONe more thing is to check the type of cable you are using, For two ethernet devices you should be using a "corss over" cable. You can tel by reading the black words on the side of the cable or by going to this website http://www.incentre.net/tech-support/other-support/ethernet-cable-color-coding-diagram/ And looking at the diagram of the cross-over cable and comparing it to the cable you are using. Basically if you take both ends of the cable and point them away from you it should not be symetrical in the colours of the wires inside. The website might make it easier to understand. It could be the wrong type of cable, it probably isnt but its best to check everything first.

Otherwise i have no idea!

Yes, I have a wireless router but I need much faster transfer than those slow speed. Just read everything below and you will be familiar with my situation. I have posted on some other forums and they just say that it is an IP conflict.
Well here's the whole problem:

I have already gave the same exact info to about 10 different HP Technical Support Online Chat Technicians (Or so what they are called)

I am having problems connecting my laptop to my desktop with an ethernet cable.

I can hook up my desktop to my other laptop with an ethernet cord perfectly fine and transfer files

I can hook up my desktop to any other desktops perfectly fine with an ethernet cord

But this laptop that i just got yesterday (a pavillion dv8000) will not hook up to my desktop with an ethernet cord

It will though, hook up to my xbox 360 with an ethernet

When i hook up this laptop to my desktop computer, neither computers even recognize that a cable is plugged in

The LAN says 'a network cable is unplugged'

Neither of them even say 'limited or no connection'

I installed the newest drivers on both computers

And the only time that i get close to connecting is when i reinstall the drivers on my laptop

Right after the installation, the LAN icon on the taskbar which normally has a red X through it, changes to Connected (100mbps) but then goes back to "disconnected" 5 seconds later.

If I go into Network Connections and disable the Local Area Connection on my laptop, and then enable it, for about 3 seconds it connects. On my laptop taskbar it shows connected and then goes back to disconnected, but on my desktop taskbar nothing happens at all.
And that's basically it, so I was thinking that I can just use this extra modem, I guess not. My other possibilities I guess, are using an ethernet-usb adapter, like you said, or using a switch which basically works the same way as a router.

Have you protected your router with a MAC table ?
It sounds like your (new) portable doesn't get an ip adress.

You can always check this giving the (new) portable a fixed adress in the range of the router.
And try to reach the config page of the router.

If you want very fast traferts local you can buy a Gigabit Ethernet Switch.
Connect one port to the router (will be connected at 100 Mbit or 10 Mbit).
All the other computers will connect at 1 Gb if your card supports it.
Then you can transfert till 1 Gb between the PC's (Note : 1 Gb Electrical (UTP) is always half duplex).
If you just leave it at 100 Mbit , you can always remove the bandwidth reservation witch is default setup in Windows XP.