xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Morne

Formatting Laptop With Faulty Booting Device Order im haveing a uge problem with my laptop, some one to help please?

Two days ago my laptop started getting slower and slower, and realized my my disc space are on a critical low, so i started removeing old games i already completed and programs that i dont use. well... for a vew min or so all seemed well, then... my laptop started freezing, so i restarted. when i got to the log in screen it said windows could not log you, and it did this will all the accounts. so, i tried to format my laptop and start over, onley problem, when i put my windows cd into the cd drive, where it used to say boot from cd, it skipes it and goes to the login screen once again.even after i have changed the gooting devices order it still does this, so im stuck with a laptop that dont want to be formatted and devenitly refuses to log in....can some one tell me an alteranive way to format this laptop of mine?

Just few questions: Is your Windows CD valid and bootable (not a copy)? Did you save your BIOS setting after changing your boot device order? Have you set your CD ROM as #1 boot device?What is your laptop's manufacturer and how old is it? Do you have a floppy drive built-in?

A system file might have gotten corupt or even delete, follow these steps to restore it..Start it in safe mode. You can see if a file is corrupt or missing (the list of .sys files will stop at the corrupt/missing one).Insert your operating system disk and reboot your computer.Push DEL (Or whatever button it is) to get into your BIOS. Tell it to boot from the CD-ROM drive. Go to your boot menu and tell it to do the same also.Press a key when it says "Press any key to boot from the CD-ROM drive"It may take a while to load all the drivers but you will eventually end up in the Windows XP (Whatever version) screen.Press "R" to get in the recovery console.Copy the missing file over to your hard drive and it should start up properly next time in Safe mode.Immediately Defrag your hard drive and you should be good to go :D

Mostlikely you CD will be not bootable.

The best thing you can is booting from a floppy drive (if available).

You can make some floppy disks with the Windows XP setup disk.

you can download these from Microsoft

Otherwise you have to get another CD/DVD for setting up windows XP.

Is your laptop not deliverd with a recovery disk.

Setting up with that disk is better because it contains all the drivers for your laptop.

(like your video card , .... ).

The best is always using the recovery disk.

Sometimes the recovery files are placed on your harddisk when you buy it , and in the manual you can find out how you can store them on a CD/DVD.

So watch out when you format your drive .