xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ProtoMan

I Need Help Uploading The Install Files

Obtaining SMF

You can download the latest beta from the download page on the official Simple Machines website.

There are a number of packages available, as this guide covers fresh installs, you should download one of the "install" packages as these contain all the files needed to get up and running. We suggest you download the zip option as this is most common and therefore you are more likely to have the tools required to unzip it already installed on your computer.

Unzip the package, ensuring you keep the directory structure, if you are using Windows XP, the easiest way is to right click on the file you downloaded and select the "extract all" option and follow the wizard. If you are using another operating system, then use winzip or a similar programme.

Uploading SMF

You should now be at the stage where you can upload the SMF files to your server. Initiate an FTP connection to the server and create a directory on the server, you can name the directory anything you like but SMF is a good choice.

Now you want to upload the SMF files to the directory you have just created so navigate to the directory in your FTP program and open up the folder that you unzipped the SMF packaged to in Windows Explorer. Select all the files and folders and copy them [goto edit > copy] and in your ftp program paste them. The files should now be uploading and, depending on the speed of your internet connection, this may take some time.

After uploading the files go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (or the directory name you choose).

If the first page comes up with a dialog requesting FTP information this is because you are running on a *nix server. At this stage just enter in your ftp details and the install program will attempt to set permissions on your server accordingly. If however you wish to do this manually or this initial step fails simply connect to your server with a piece of ftp software and change the permissions on the following files and directories to 777. On most client software this is achieved by right clicking on the files you wish to change and typing in the number.

The following files need to be CHMOD'ed to 777.

attachments

Packages

Packages/installed.list

Packages/server.list

Smileys

Themes

agreement.txt

Settings.php

Settings_bak.php

install.php

Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php

Installing SMF

Assuming the previous steps went well, you should now have the SMF source files on your server and their relevant permissions set, all that is needed now is to run the install.php file to configure your MySQL database, settings and your admin account.

Open up your favourite web browser and browse to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (where smf is the directory name you chose earlier). Provided you set the permissions correctly on Settings.php and Setting_bak.php you should see a form asking for various settings. Fill these in as follows:

Forum Name: This will be the name of your forum. It starts as "My Community" but you should probably change it.

Forum URL: This is the url your forum will be located at, the SMF installer should have worked this out for itself so in most cases you can leave this setting at its default value.

MySQL server name: This is where we specify the server that the MySQL database resides on. 99% of the time this will be localhost.

MySQL username: This is the username for your MySQL database, often you will have to set this up in your web hosts control panel, if in doubt, consult your host.

MySQL password: This is the password for your MySQL database, often you will have to set this up in your webhosts control panel, if in doubt, consult your host.

MySQL Database name: This is the name of your MySQL database, often you will have to set this up in your webhosts control panel, if in doubt, consult your host.

MySQL Database prefix: This is a prefixed to the table names in your database, it enables you to run more than one application on a single MySQL database, you should generally leave it as smf_, unless you are installing a second copy of SMF on the same database.

Once you have filled in all of the settings, click on proceed, you should see a lot of information and the word successful on each line scroll to the bottom of the page and click proceed again.

You will now be asked for details of your admin account, this will create your username on the forum. As a security measure, you are also asked for your database password. Once you have filled in the form, click on proceed.

Your forum is now installed and you can proceed to your forum, however, before doing so, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you delete the install.php file from the server as leaving it there is a major security risk. To do so return to your ftp program in the directory you installed SMF to, locate install.php, select it, and hit delete.

That is their instructions but I don't know how and where to upload those files , please help me. I have to do that in order to creat a Simple Machine Forum and how to use the FTP program to connect to the server if I want to upload them ? Please help . Thank you very much.

Are you are trying to set up the forum on your Xisto hosted website then you seem to have gone the long way about things!

If you login to your control panel yoursite.trap17.com/cpanel and go to "fantastico" somewhere near the bottom youll get a new page open and in there there is a menu on the left. Look near the bottom and you will see a heading of "Discussion Boards" under that is "smf". I belive that is the forum you are tryin gto install. Simply click that link and if i remember correctly it will take you through the entire install proccess.

it was a while ago though and to be honest i found it hard to use. So i might be wrong. If you still have problems just ask again!

***EDIT***

As a side note to help you in the future -

An ftp program is fairly easy to use. I use Smart FTP which is free for personal and eductional use and i reccomend it as its easy to use and looks good also. Google can easilly find it for you within seconds!

once installed open the program. Your ftp url is basically your site url just type yoursite.trap17.com dont put  or anything the ftp program sorts that out with ...

now enter your username and password for the control panel. This isnt always your forum details. They are the details you use to login the cpanel (yoursite.trap17.com/cpanel) then click on the connect button and the program will start the connection and if the login details are correct you will be shown a list of files. There will be a split probably horizontally and your ftp location will which ever one has folders like "public_html" "www" "tmp" etc... That is your website basically. The other one represents the files and folders on your computer. The "public_html" and "www" folders are both the same and this is the ONLY folder which is shown to visitors so all your website files eg html's/images etc...MUSt go into either folder, it doesnt matter which they are the same! Simply double click on one of them and it will open. Now to put files into there simply browse using the other box to the file you want and then click on the arrow that is between the two boxes that points towards the website folders.

sorry its confusing, ive made an image and uploaded it to my site (using smart ftp!) Heres the image:

EDIT: sorry the image was huge and made the thread look nasty and was hard to see so jus click this link , its direct to the image. sorry.

404.png

Hope that helps. There might actually be a thread about this in the tutorial section!

Notice from truefusion:
Added in the IMGFIT bbcode

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

You should be able to upload them anywhere. Though, the most common way people do things, is create a folder named "forums", and stick them all in there. Then you just follow the instructions you have here.

Thanks to all of you very much , I finished uploading those install files.This is the first time I tried to creat a simple machine forum so I nearly don't know anything about cPanel , MySQL , ... Thank you very much.I could finish it now.