xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Lurk

Need Free Ftp Client

I would recommend Filezilla. It is so simple to use and gives you everything you need. Download it here. Just a while ago I didn't know anything about ftp, but then I found this tutorial, and in 5 minutes I knew all I needed to know. It shows you how to do everything using Filezilla, and I recommend it to anyone who's wondering about ftp and how to chmod files.

I personally use 'BladeFTP Free V2' which can be downloaded from: http://www.bizunit.com/, I find that it has a very clean interface that is easy to use, alos there are no annoying nag screens as found in other free ftp clients *cough* AceFTP *cough*. Personally I do not like SmartFTP, I find the interface to chaotic, but thats just my preference. but I find that they are all basically the same.

p.s. it sucks being a broke college student (I don't know about you) but I ain't getting a job, I go to college so I don't have to get a job.

I feel your pain and know what you mean when you say broke college student! :D Someday we'll graduate and not be so broke! Until then there is SmartFTP! Also, check out this link:

Sofotex Software Downloads
http://www.sofotex.com/download/FTP_Software/more4.html

They have a huge list of FTP software applications that you can download for free. There are allot of shareware titles and also freeware.

I used FileZilla for a while, then I realized my dad had bought a liscense to CuteFTP pro. He didn't know how to use it, but he bought it because a colleague recommended it. So, I started using that, and I think it is the best FTP out there.On linux, which I use as my main OS, I use KBear, the KDE FTP client. The only problem, and the reason I like CuteFTP more, is that you can't edit your html files in the client. You have to save them to your hard drive, edit them, then replace all instances of the file on your FTP. Doesn't really matter, because I get to use the amazing text editor for KDE, Kate. I love Kate, it is like an Uber Notepad.

right now im going with smart ftp since it suits my needs in what im doing plus its customizable.

I was using WS_FTP Home 2006 from IPswitch, but my 30-day trial has expired now and I'm searching for a new ftp program. This program is really good and I would suggest it to everyone who needs a ftp program. It's easy to use and to manage files.

i use cuteftp pro. It cost money but its all worth it. The client is really good for ftp use and simple too. I have used commander, ws, smart ftp, and bunch of other ones and they are ok. I don't like them. So if I would recommend one i would go with CuteFtp. You don'thave to get the pro version. Well if you want to it cost some moohlah. lol. Filezilla is a pretty ok program for ftp. It has these extra stuff i don't need on it so i don't use that one. Too advance for me a bit.

Unfortunately, this computer that I play on the Internet is not mine and I am not allowed to install anything. So I am stuck with Windows FTP. Not that I use it anyway.Hopefully when I get a new connection to MY computer, I will probably use Filezilla or some advanced FTP.

Hi People

I Didnt find another thread like this one, so if there is please delete this one.

The question is:

What FTP do you use other than the one provided on Xisto?

I use Win Commander, I know it is not the best, but it is free and it does the job.

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
This is a software discussion. Moving from General Talk --> Software.

160881[/snapback]

I use WS_FTP32. from long time ago which is an simple and easy FTP client that allows you to use FTP (or File Transfer Protocol) to transfer large files to and from an FTP server (a computer that handles the transfer of files using FTP).:

allow you to

- upload or download.

- transfer file , multiple files even complete folders

- rename folders or files

- make new folder

- delete and move files..

- one time instalation for any new site so you don't want to repeat setting the link each time.

You can download it free from : http://www.imperative.co.za/html/download.html

Or http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/