xisto Community
logophobia

Huh? Anti-virus Processor

AV Processor? Sounds improbable, but... Maybe they are working on something like that... But still sounds little... I don't know how it sounds, but I doubt that AV industry will allow it that easily

Probably on the future version of Windows, this Anti Virus processors can defeat piracy. I think is has the encrption unique code on every computers...

I looked it up. It seems that the new ADM 64 processor has a built in protection versus buffer overflow security leaks (as where arrays crash because they are too small). Check out this site. As with the future version of windows, that's hardly 'protection'. It's a controll where the vendor can check what you do with the content of your HD to ensure you don't have any illegal stuff on your PC. Garanteed security leaks.

I have heard about something being built into the new processors(not currently) but it hasnt to do with viruses its solely to try to defeat piracy. I think its a bad idea because not only does it conflict with our legal rights to back-up our software it also may interfere with legit copies of your own data im not to sure how it will all work but i currently dislike the idea. also it may slow down processing time due to the fact it has to check to make sure ur not pirating anything.

Athlon 64 has hardware Intrustion Detection (IDS) if thats what you guys mean, it compares checksums of the hashes of the executed programs on hardware, just like what most firewalls do on software. Its a pretty neat idea actually, and may be the future in combating trojans and worms. Just like AV programs practically wiped out viri.

I looked it up. It seems that the new ADM 64 processor has a built in protection versus buffer overflow security leaks (as where arrays crash because they are too small). Check out this site. As with the future version of windows, that's hardly 'protection'. It's a controll where the vendor can check what you do with the content of your HD to ensure you don't have any illegal stuff on your PC. Garanteed security leaks.

Some AMD processors have Intrustion Detection (IDS) and also the Advanced Anti-virus protection, often combined. Very simply it is a hardware version of a sandbox/virtual environment. So parts of a program are kept in ram and never written to hard-drive, which is quite cool. Also, when in ram they can be checked with anti-virus software, so unlike previously where when you were surfing on the internet, and a virus got downloaded to your computer's hard-drive and quite possibly ran before your anti-virus picked it up, instead it would be downloaded to ram, run seperately via a seperate part of the motherboard, in its own environment, checked for virii, and then copied to the HD if it was clean.One of the biggest problems of virii, is that it is virtually impossible to delete them: many antivirus software programs have to restart your computer every time they find one, and bootup as a seperate operating system, but by keping it in memory, it means you can keep running the computer even when a virus has been downloaded, and it will be deleted automatically when you restart your computer (as ram gets cleared)It is a good idea....eventually it will become standard in most processors, as hardware antivirus....but at the moment, it can't beat a good antivirus program.

I keep hearing these commercials on the radio about a processor which keeps virusses out (AMD athlon). Is this *BLEEP* or what? How can a processor be anti-virus?

oh hoantivirus
avast is a good antivius:D

That aint actually what you guys think. it is simply hardware DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION (DEP). It is not only the AMDs that support this. Even Intel processors starting from the Pentium IVs support this very useful feature.

Actually, hardware DEP is all about making the Hardware, which is the processor, to suport the software, which is the operating system, say...Windows XP for instance, in fighting against viruses and malicious softwares and codes. It stops any file or progrm from writing malicious codes through the operating system.

Enhanced Virus Protection in combination with WindowsŽ XP SP2 sets portions of system memory aside as data only meaning that any code resident in these areas may not be executed, only read from or written to.

that is why some voice recorders begginers write won't workbecause some begginners set it to write the recorded file into memory
instead of temporary folder